P500 I am all that is man

J

Jshell3

Have a tear in my front right CV Boot. I've spoken about it before.

Well, I debated about a replacing the whole axle or buy a boot repair kit.
Ballpark prices go:
  • Axle - $206 Honda OE from dealer
  • Repair kit - $30 from the dealer.
Until @FuzzyGrub and @ehart814 started a thread about a parts P500 on eBay.

Axel I needed was $119 and looked to be in pretty good shape. So I ordered it.

It came in today. I put it in w NO HELP from YouTube. (That's why I am all that is man!)

I've discovered at age 39, I'm a better mechanic than I am a carpenter. Basically mechanicing is like a puzzle. (unlike carpentry, which is more like building something from scratch)

I'm kicking myself for not making a YouTube video of it. But when I started, I had no idea if I could finish it on my own. And who wants to watch a guy failing at something on YouTube? (Don't answer that)

The brake system has to come off completely.
There are a couple of mud deflecting plastics that have to be removed.
Hub nut (30mm), rotor, shock, and ball joints...

Then there's always the "Will it come out when I yank on it?" moment with the axle, itself.

So this thread, I'll leave it here for anyone who needs a coach to walk them through... just ask for help. I have a mind like a steel trap!
I think I still remember the socket sizes to every bolt!
Ha!

Last edited by a moderator:
FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
A braver man than I :) Without instruction, I usually end up with broken parts, missing parts, need tools I don't have, or any number of other frustrating dead ends. Congrats!

Reactions: JTW
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Good job @Jshell3.
Glad you got it completed fairly well. Hopefully you want have to do it again any time soon.

Reactions: Jshell3
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Have a tear in my front right CV Boot. I've spoken about it before.

Well, I debated about a replacing the whole axel or buy a boot repair kit.
Ballpark prices go:
  • Axel - $206 Honda OE from dealer
  • Repair kit - $30 from the dealer.
Until @FuzzyGrub and @ehart814 started a thread about a parts P500 on eBay.

Axel I needed was $119 and looked to be in pretty good shape. So I ordered it.

It came in today. I put it in w NO HELP from YouTube. (That's why I am all that is man!)

I've discovered at age 39, I'm a better mechanic than I am a carpenter. Basically mechanicing is like a puzzle. (unlike carpentry, which is more like building something from scratch)

I'm kicking myself for not making a YouTube video of it. But when I started, I had no idea if I could finish it on my own. And who wants to watch a guy failing at something on YouTube? (Don't answer that)

The brake system has to come off completely.
There are a couple of mud deflecting plastics that have to be removed.
Hub nut (30mm), rotor, shock, and ball joints...

Then there's always the "Will it come out when I yank on it?" moment with the Axel, itself.

So this thread, I'll leave it here for anyone who needs a coach to walk them through... just ask for help. I have a mind like a steel trap!
I think I still remember the socket sizes to every bolt!
Ha!
Just out of curiosity why didn't you just buy a new boot? I replaced mine with a boot from www.allballsracing.com for like $15. The boots actually feel better than the stock ones.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
One of my rear boots got poked with a stick. Leaks just a tiny bit but I better get it handled. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: LandPioneer
J

Jshell3

Just out of curiosity why didn't you just buy a new boot? I replaced mine with a boot from www.allballsracing.com for like $15. The boots actually feel better than the stock ones.
To be honest, on a boot repair, getting the axle off is only half the battle. The disassembly and reassembly of said axle is what scares me. With the removal of clamps, cleaning up the grease, and bearings to contend with, I wasn't confident I could get it all together and it not make noise or leak.

However, if I could have found something like this:
IMG 2608

Where I could have just glued it around the joint without taking ANY OF IT off the bike, I would have been game. They are $10-20 bucks cheap, but none small enough for a Honda Pioneer axle. All I found was car size, big boots.

In the end, I only paid $119, anyways. No tax. Free shipping.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
To be honest, on a boot repair, getting the axel off is only half the battle. The disassembley and reassembley of said axel is what scares me. With the removal of clamps, cleaning up the grease, and bearings to contend with, I wasn't confident I could get it all together and it not make noise or leak.

However, if I could have found something like this:
View attachment 25189

Where I could have just glued it around the joint without taking ANY OF IT off the bike, I would have been game. They are $10-20 bucks cheap, but none small enough for a Honda Pioneer axel. All I found was car size, big boots.
It really is a simple job. It was my first time doing anything with a CV Joint. I was honestly surprised at how easy it was. I would like to replace all my boots eventually. The aftermarket ones have a more flexible feel than the stiff factory ones. Seems to me they might be a little more forgiving if hit with something.

advertisement
J

Jshell3

It really is a simple job. It was my first time doing anything with a CV Joint. I was honestly surprised at how easy it was. I would like to replace all my boots eventually. The aftermarket ones have a more flexible feel than the stiff factory ones. Seems to me they might be a little more forgiving if hit with something.
Well, I know I like Allballs racing stuff. So I'm sure it's an improvement, and at the price I paid for the ONE axle, I could have done all 4 !

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
One of my rear boots got poked with a stick. Leaks just a tiny bit but I better get it handled. :(

Did that happen despite Stick Stoppers?

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well, I know I like Allballs racing stuff. So I'm sure it's an improvement, and at that price, I could have done all 4 !
Yep the price is great. I replaced one and ordered a spare to keep in my tool bag.

Reactions: Jshell3
J

Jshell3

A braver man than I :) Without instruction, I usually end up with broken parts, missing parts, need tools I don't have, or any number of other frustrating dead ends. Congrats!
I don't believe that.

J

Jshell3

Rear should be easier to replace than front, on account of NO brake caliper/hub... the brakes on the rear are in the middle of the bike (not independent out on the end, per tire, like the front)

Reactions: LandPioneer
FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
I don't believe that.

Maybe so, but many years of screwing things up, and learning the right way, is called experience. ;) In a few years, when I hit 60, I might know what I'm doing! :D

I do appreciate the internet to help figure out how to do things. Just a couple of weeks ago, I installed some aux/fog lights on my daughter's camry, I couldn't figure out the best way thru the firewall. A quick search found the answer, and made it a simple job.

Reactions: JTW and Jshell3
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Did that happen despite Stick Stoppers?
Sorry, I must have missed your question before. I don't have any stick stoppers / a-arm guards. The rear outer boots are pretty exposed. I had backed up in the woods into some brush a couple times - I assumed it must have happened then. For some reason I'm just not crazy about stick stoppers. Yeah, they might have prevented this issue. But for the most part I think they are kinda gimmicky - and they make it harder to clean because they collect so much crap.

Reactions: JTW and Jshell3
J

Jshell3

Sorry, I must have missed your question before. I don't have any stick stoppers / a-arm guards. The rear outer boots are pretty exposed. I had backed up in the woods into some brush a couple times - I assumed it must have happened then. For some reason I'm just not crazy about stick stoppers. Yeah, they might have prevented this issue. But for the most part I think they are kinda gimmicky - and they make it harder to clean because they collect so much crap.
I concur. They really don't give you adequate protection for the money... but better than nothing, I suppose.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I concur. They really don't give you adequate protection for the money... but better than nothing, I suppose.
Wait, both of you have (or have had) torn boots and neither of you have boot guards! ;)

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I do get your overall point though I don't think they are gimmicky. They cover about as much as they can while still allowing for the function of moving parts. I was like you about them for the longest because of their price and probably still wouldn't have them had I not gotten them for half price. They do provide some protection.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!