P1000 I can't take 1 more damn flat! Help please!

N

noisewater

Aug 3, 2017
west michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2 years ago I put 28" Quadboss QBT846 on Fuel Anza D557 rims on my P1K5. I was running them around 10 psi. Kept getting flats. Not punctures but losing the bead. So per my tire guy's suggestion I ran the damn things at almost max pressure. I think it was 18-20 psi. Still having bead issues. So then my tire guy suggested tubing them all. All that did was eventually shear my stems. He's a good tire guy for my company's fleet of trucks and vans but he doesn't dabble much with ATV/UTV. So I finally ran into a guy on one of my trips - with a damn flat of course! - who suggested the tubes with the double locknuts on steel stems. He said those were better for tubeless rims like I have. That worked for about 5 days worth of riding. My brother is borrowing it this week and just texted me telling me there's another flat. He says he doesn't see any punctures and he's going to bring it to the guy I met up there to have a look. Can't wait to hear what it is this time.

We run logging roads, some nice mud holes and water crossings. No rock climbing or any big rocks to speak of. No one else that rides with us has these issues.

Anybody with any ideas? I have no problem brooming those tires and rims for a whole new set up if need be. This is a very stupid problem to keep having.

Thanks in advance.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, if you wanted to go nuclear on it you could go to those Tire Balls (multi-tube setup) but I think your problem has to be in your tire/rim setup. Running around at max psi has to suck...

What ply are those?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Not sure but you sound like the poster child for someone who needs beadlocks. Talon's are known to be 'well sprung' and I knew I'd want to try lower tire pressures to help with that so beadlocks were an early purchase. Be aware that some folks have problems with BLs leaking but I haven't, yet. With 8 ply tires, tubes and max air pressures, I think you've tried the only other remedies available.

I'm curious at how you're spinning the tires on the rims with the Pioneer's power? (pulling the stems out of your tubes) There are much more powerful machines not having this problem. Guys used to run sheetmetal screws around the rim, into the tire bead to prevent spinning but I think BLs killed the need for that.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Well, our sand is a huge issue. That gets in the bead on standard wheel/tire set ups and causes leaks. I fought the same issue with multiple tire and wheel set ups and then I finally went with beadlocks and that solved my issue. Been 3 yrs now, no leaks.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Sounds like your tire guy isn't familiar with our sandy trails and chaulked up sand he seen in the bead to, just a UTV tire you'll have that! Lol

R

rickoshea

Well, our sand is a huge issue. That gets in the bead on standard wheel/tire set ups and causes leaks. I fought the same issue with multiple tire and wheel set ups and then I finally went with beadlocks and that solved my issue. Been 3 yrs now, no leaks.
wow.i litterally have chunks of trees jammed in my beads and they still don't leak.

N

noisewater

Aug 3, 2017
west michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure but you sound like the poster child for someone who needs beadlocks. Talon's are known to be 'well sprung' and I knew I'd want to try lower tire pressures to help with that so beadlocks were an early purchase. Be aware that some folks have problems with BLs leaking but I haven't, yet. With 8 ply tires, tubes and max air pressures, I think you've tried the only other remedies available.

I'm curious at how you're spinning the tires on the rims with the Pioneer's power? (pulling the stems out of your tubes) There are much more powerful machines not having this problem. Guys used to run sheetmetal screws around the rim, into the tire bead to prevent spinning but I think BLs killed the need for that.
The guy that suggested the double locknut steel stems showed me that flat I had when I met him. He gave me a ride back to his shop with the offending tire. The tube stem was torn at the base. It wasn't so much from the power of the machine as it was the stem hole rubbed against the stem base and tore it. That's when he suggested the steel stem kind. My brother has his number as well so he'll probably have an answer later today about what caused this latest flat.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run vision beadlocks with SuperATV Intimidator tires. I haven't had any problems with them. I run 9psi on the trails and 14psi at home. I haven't had the setup for a long time but no issues yet. In my experience my biggest issue with my 4 wheelers were losing air thru the beads. I cleaned the beads up and sealed them with bead sealer and run 10psi. It's been a long time since I have had problems with them.

N

noisewater

Aug 3, 2017
west michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Could the Communist Chinese wheels be the problem? Are the sealing surfaces where the tire bead mates cast and machines correctly?
Could be? No idea. My tire guy at home says nothing looks off to him. But that shouldn't matter with tubes in it. I'm at my wits end anyway. I guess I'll wait to hear what the cause is of this latest flat. Then I may just go with bead locks.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Could be? No idea. My tire guy at home says nothing looks off to him. But that shouldn't matter with tubes in it. I'm at my wits end anyway. I guess I'll wait to hear what the cause is of this latest flat. Then I may just go with bead locks.
Another thing you could try, ease/chamfer the edge of the hole where the valve stem goes through since it seems to be sharp enough to cut through the stem. All four tires would have to be dismounted to do this.

J

Jerryy

Nov 15, 2016
Freedom, Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This probably won't make you feel any better but here is my story. Been atv/utv'ing for 15 plus years with no spare. Vast majority of the time it is wife, dog and I alone, far from civilization, and no cell service (but I do have a Garmin Inreach Explorer with satellite capability). So, two years ago, I decided to play it safe and get a spare tire/wheel. First time out---flat tire. Two days later--flat tire. Enjoy the rest of your day:mad:

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
OP, I noticed your location of West Michigan. I have ridden MANY thousands of miles in west Michigan on numerous ATVs and motorcycles over a 25+ year period. Never had a problem with flats. I realize that doesn't help you much, but I just don't see the sand being the problem. It sounds like you have tried a lot of different things. You said you don't mind buying all new wheels and tires, and that is probably what I would do at this point. Study up on what your buddies are running then get those. And sell the old stuff to recoup some of the cost. Life is too short to keep dealing with this!

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Something else must be wrong, normally you can get a tire off the bead without hitting a hugh hole or rock with very low tire pressures. Have you aired up the tire and sprayed a soapy solution around the beads to see if there's any leaking? we liked to have never got my Ripsaws to set the beads!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!