I finally understand!

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Lol. So the snow is finally melting up here in the the great white north, so we got to go for the first ride of the year yesterday which was nice. Suspension was harsh as always, however I finally understand what the engineers were thinking. (It's also improved some since I had the blown shock replaced)

We took a ~3 mile section of fairly rough, very bumpy, windy trail and spent the afternoon doing timed laps of it. There was my Talon, my buddies Turbo RZR, an X3 XRS, and a XP 1000 RZR.

The Talon, driven at 10/10 on said trail, was phenomenal. Suspension worked perfectly, the DCT was amazing, it just worked so well. Riding the same trail at 1/3 the speed after our fun, the suspension sucked again. I finally found where and how the engineers tested the suspension. Lol. Fun day.

Best time:
Talon 3:24
X3 XRS: 3:28
XP 1000: 3:51
Turbo RZR: 4:29 (timid driver, likely the most capable machine out of the group)

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Lol. So the snow is finally melting up here in the the great white north, so we got to go for the first ride of the year yesterday which was nice. Suspension was harsh as always, however I finally understand what the engineers were thinking. (It's also improved some since I had the blown shock replaced)

We took a ~3 mile section of fairly rough, very bumpy, windy trail and spent the afternoon doing timed laps of it. There was my Talon, my buddies Turbo RZR, an X3 XRS, and a XP 1000 RZR.

The Talon, driven at 10/10 on said trail, was phenomenal. Suspension worked perfectly, the DCT was amazing, it just worked so well. Riding the same trail at 1/3 the speed after our fun, the suspension sucked again. I finally found where and how the engineers tested the suspension. Lol. Fun day.

Best time:
Talon 3:24
X3 XRS: 3:28
XP 1000: 3:51
Turbo RZR: 4:29 (timid driver, likely the most capable machine out of the group)

Talon X or talon R?

Live valve?

Reactions: Plumber32
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yup, you can't please everyone, that's impossible. It is a "Sport" machine so Honda set it up that way as evidenced by your fastest time and many other stories like yours. This is also shown by all the Talon commercials I have seen. I noticed most of them are fast paced.

Had Honda made it a nice soft trail machine, the other half would b**** because it bottoms out too easy.

Could Honda have put it in the middle? Maybe but then maybe everyone would b****. I think they went one way because...

I had Weller set mine up for slow-mid trail and rock crawling knowing fully well it would take away from the dunes. They did not recommend something in the middle because most riders spend most of their time either slow OR fast and not in the middle. I choose slow for the DW, she hated the machine at first and now loves it. It does suffer in the dunes but is well worth it for the slower speeds and especially rock crawling.

Did Honda choose the correct setup? I would say probably not. I think there are many more slow trail riders and rock crawlers then there are duners/desert racers. However, I suspect the Talon would not pass the rollover test with a soft suspension so it forced them to the stiffer, faster paced (and rougher) suspension tune (and advertising that went with it).

Stilly1155

Stilly1155

Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2020
Peoria AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I had a Polaris General 4 seater before and if you think the Talon is a rough ride you should drive one of those. My Talon LV is like a Cadillac next to my old General. But I also put a lift kit and 32's on the General so it's not really Apples to Apples comparison. Overall I'm very happy with the Talon's ride.

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yeah it's odd to me that they set it up for such a specific task when a sport side by side is usually a versatile vehicle, I don't know of anything else other than maybe a YXZ that is setup in such a way.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!