P1000 I rolled my Pioneer, what should I be concerned with?

Daolin

Daolin

Nov 27, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I was going about 10 mph and went slightly on an embankment and gassed it with 4 people inside and we tipped over and fell on the right side. My son had his hand on the door when it hit so it crushed his 3 fingers, but thankfully only a minor fracture on his middle finger and bruising on his shoulder and other fingers.

My question is, do I need to do anything special to the Pioneer since it did tip on its side? The one roll bar is slightly bent in, and some scratches but no other visible problems. Do I need to worry about oil or transmission or anything like that? I'm trying to avoid taking it in since I was charged $480 for the 100 mile checkup.

Thanks in advance!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I was going about 10 mph and went slightly on an embankment and gassed it with 4 people inside and we tipped over and fell on the right side. My son had his hand on the door when it hit so it crushed his 3 fingers, but thankfully only a minor fracture on his middle finger and bruising on his shoulder and other fingers.

My question is, do I need to do anything special to the Pioneer since it did tip on its side? The one roll bar is slightly bent in, and some scratches but no other visible problems. Do I need to worry about oil or transmission or anything like that? I'm trying to avoid taking it in since I was charged $480 for the 100 mile checkup.

Thanks in advance!
Glad to see everyone came out ok that's the big one obviously. First of all if you have insurance it may be worth it to at least have someone look at it. The only thing to consider is how long it was running on it's side. Usually not a problem for a short time. The ROP rollbar pieces can be bought separately and they do move back fairly easy,something as simple a a well placed tree and winch can do the trick.

Last edited:
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

Thanks in advance!
You need to check your oil. If it is low on oil you need to check your air cleaner and put more oil in. If the oil is over full I would change it sometimes gas can get in the oil. Check the differential oil too.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand

Thanks in advance!
I would probably replace all the lower cage bolts in case they stretched some. If you have any dents or creases in the cage, it will weaken the tube a lot. Check the cage welds also for any cracks in the paint. All oil also.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Damnit men, I thought only the P5 was susceptible to that. :)

Reactions: PioneerPete
red4life

red4life

Aug 13, 2013
Tipped my 700-4 on its side or slightly upside down 3 times in 3 years. Each time the cage bends about 4 inches out of whack. I use a few chain tuggers linked to trees to bend it back into place. Paint is chipped off at a few welds and cage is not 100% straight. Sure, it's not as strong as new, but still does it's job every time.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Don't sweat it.
Its no different then tipping your four wheeler on the side as said before check your oils and roll.
No worry's about gas as your Pioneers is fuel injected it don't have a carburetor bowl to drain into your oil.

Lastly no proof with out pictures :)

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Tipped my 700-4 on its side or slightly upside down 3 times in 3 years. Each time the cage bends about 4 inches out of whack. I use a few chain tuggers linked to trees to bend it back into place. Paint is chipped off at a few welds and cage is not 100% straight. Sure, it's not as strong as new, but still does it's job every time.
Ha yeah, until it doesn't! I'm with @snuffnwhisky, if your tube is bent, creased, or cracked replace those parts, don't try to straighten them out. You never know if the next time you roll will be just laying it on it's side or doing 3 barrel rolls down a hill.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ha yeah, until it doesn't! I'm with @snuffnwhisky, if your tube is bent, creased, or cracked replace those parts, don't try to straighten them out. You never know if the next time you roll will be just laying it on it's side or doing 3 barrel rolls down a hill.
If your going to do barrel rolls wear your seat belts and helmet.

Reactions: Tflynn and JTW
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Your kinda rough on things, what kind of tires you running, thats my problem

advertisement
1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Don't sweat it.
Its no different then tipping your four wheeler on the side as said before check your oils and roll.
No worry's about gas as your Pioneers is fuel injected it don't have a carburetor bowl to drain into your oil.

Lastly no proof with out pictures :)

^^This^^

As mentioned IF ANY bars are bent replace them, the integrity of the cage has been compromised.

Reactions: Tflynn
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just to make it unanimous, replace any bent tubing. Once metal is bent, it'll be weaker when you straighten it. Good tip on shutting engine off quick too. Luckily these things are dry sump so oil starvation isn't much of a problem. Still, it's always good idea to shut it off ASAP. Glad to hear your son is okay. I would feel like such a dirtbag if my daughter was injured while I was driving. But these things happen.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree. Replace it. If you're going to ride it like the rzr fanboys then invest in a custom cage. If it was just a fluke, still replace every bar and bolt. Your families safety isn't worth saving a few hundred bucks

Daolin

Daolin

Nov 27, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thank you all for the response, sorry it took so long to get back here. Everything seems fine on the pioneer, son is almost out of his splint and my wife has stopped telling me to sell it :)

Reactions: Smitty335 and sharp
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thank you all for the response, sorry it took so long to get back here. Everything seems fine on the pioneer, son is almost out of his splint and my wife has stopped telling me to sell it :)
Great to hear, how many Hunny do did that cost?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!