P500 I'm looking for "simple" winch purchase.

tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
We just purchased a P500. I had never been on an ATV before let alone driven one, but we recently moved to the North Channel of Lake Huron, Ontario Canada and have 20,000 acres of non-public bush literally at at our doorstep ; plenty of old logging roads to explore.
We choose Honda because of the great experience I have had with their other (non automotive) products, and the P500 due to its small stance. It has exceeded our expectations.
I have read most of the winch related conversations here and realize that we should have one. The thought of hiking 15 km back to civilization does not appeal to me.but I am more confused than ever about what I need to order.
Can somebody recommend a single Canadian source from which I can order all necessary bits and pieces that are easy to install without modification; I don't want to spend time shopping around, and dealing with Customs is something I want to avoid.
My mechanical skills are limited but I have all the tools required and can hire a part-time mechanic if needed.
I am leaning towards a 3500 lb winch with synthetic cable, but I may be adding a plow and don't know if steel cable would be better.

I look forward to your suggestions.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is royal distributing still in business up there?

Amazon.ca should be one stop shopping as well.

Reactions: tomcj2
tomcj2

tomcj2

Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
Is royal distributing still in business up there?

Amazon.ca should be one stop shopping as well.
I moved from the USA and used AMAZON all of the time. AMAZON.ca is a totally different store and I find it a PITA.
There is a Royal less than a couple of hours away, thanks for suggesting them.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I moved from the USA and used AMAZON all of the time. AMAZON.ca is a totally different store and I find it a PITA.
There is a Royal less than a couple of hours away, thanks for suggesting them.
Dan is a friend of mine from when I lived in Ancaster. I am sure he could organize and ship everything to you, or be your mechanic depending on whether you want to make the drive.

https://www.facebook.com/dansmallengines

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Call 877-346-2050 KFI Products, that's what I did. Good people and good sh**. It'll be about a grand for everything, not cheap but it's a one stop shop. Stealth 3500 winch, winch mount, plow bracket, push bar and 66" blade.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Fortnine.com is in based in the East, Quebec I think. Great service fast shipping and good prices. Last winch I purchased was off Amazon.ca. Superwinch Terra 45, to replace my Terra 35 that has been awesome (still is) it’s just noisey spooling out under power. For the mount I used KFI also a 66” plough, mount and associates fixin’s to make it work. Really like the KFI gear, strong, reasonably priced, well built and in North America. I had to order via their dealer network in Canada, couldn’t do it direct from them.

Reactions: trigger and tomcj2
tomcj2

tomcj2

Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
Fortnine.com is in based in the East, Quebec I think. Great service fast shipping and good prices. .
FortNine's site is very easy to navigate, parts are cross-referenced, and their prices seem great (about $100 less than Amazon.ca). I think I will go with KFI Products SE35 Stealth Series Winch and the KFI mounting bracket. Before I take the final decision I'm going to drop into the Royal Distributing store when I pass through Sudbury ON next week see what they have to offer.
I have not had to deal with snow for the past 22 years. I bought a Huskavarna snowblower to clear my 100 ft+ gravel drive. I'll use it this season and then decide if I also want to spend the $ on a plough.
Thanks to all of you for the information. I am less confused and better informed now.

Reactions: trigger
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Reactions: DaddyDubbs
advertisement
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Only 38 ft of rope. Does that matter?

It could matter. All depends on the situation I guess and what other recovery gear one has with them. More cable/rope is certainly preferred. That’s the only thing I don’t like on the champion synthetic 4500. I called and spoke with koplin today about their winches. Pretty nice winches for the price specifically the 4500 synthetic. They build and construct their winches around plowing useage. I didn’t think to ask what their line speed was though. Probably average for the coarse. My head is spinning over what winch to get though I know that.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
like @HP5NC stated, iti could matter - not sure why the went with 38 feet - however, you may be able to replace with 50 feet, I didn't look over the specs, just happened to think of Canadian Tire as another source for you.

Agree can always replace the rope true. The more I shop winches the more I start to realize maybe I should just get the SW terra 35 or 35sr an be done with it. (Even though I HATE their yellow color) if I bought a 3500 lb in the 150-175 US dollar range I’m still spending money to switch to synthetic rope then a hassle fairlead (some rope comes with the hawse) a wireless remote etc. not to mention 50 bucks for the KFI mount I’m going to use. So far the winch(s) that keeps me coming back are the superatv 3500 black ops-has pretty much everything I need an want for 199. Also the viper midnight 4500 for 210 just would to pick a inexpensive wireless for it. And last the Koplin 4500 for 230 just need a hawse (10-20 bucks) instead of the roller fairlead they include (roller is better for plowing according to them. I’m not plowing so) and a wireless for it. I’m really liking the koplin. Plus they have a orange color scheme which I love it would just look so good tucked in the with my olive P5. I’m trying to get a windshield around the same time as my winch here soon so that’s the pickle I am in. $$$

To the op of this thread..sorry for hijacking. Just set you a budget for the winch and go from there. From about 150-200 dollars or so they’re pretty equal I’d say at the end of the day. 250 an up things can start to change in the specs department some. It’s been said many times on here that 3500 lb is about the ideal size for the P5. Depends on your usage and intents with the winch as well.

Bushbaby

Bushbaby

Mar 25, 2018
Elliot Lake Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
We just purchased a P500. I had never been on an ATV before let alone driven one, but we recently moved to the North Channel of Lake Huron, Ontario Canada and have 20,000 acres of non-public bush literally at at our doorstep ; plenty of old logging roads to explore.
We choose Honda because of the great experience I have had with their other (non automotive) products, and the P500 due to its small stance. It has exceeded our expectations.
I have read most of the winch related conversations here and realize that we should have one. The thought of hiking 15 km back to civilization does not appeal to me.but I am more confused than ever about what I need to order.
Can somebody recommend a single Canadian source from which I can order all necessary bits and pieces that are easy to install without modification; I don't want to spend time shopping around, and dealing with Customs is something I want to avoid.
My mechanical skills are limited but I have all the tools required and can hire a part-time mechanic if needed.
I am leaning towards a 3500 lb winch with synthetic cable, but I may be adding a plow and don't know if steel cable would be better.

I look forward to your suggestions.

NAPA in Elliot Lake - ask for Joe

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
Does anyone know if the KFI 4500 lb wide spool will work an fit on the P5 with a KFI mount? I found a KFI 4500 (standard series not a stealth) for 200 bucks on Facebook market in a neighboring town. Brand new never mounted has all the components with it, beside the mount. It’s a cable not a rope which I would change. But I want to be sure this winch would fit on the P5 using a KFI mount. Thanks I hope it will work if so may go take it off the guy.

tomcj2

tomcj2

Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
I just ordered a KFI 3500 lb winch with synthetic rope and mounting bracket from FORTNINE. I also ordered a plow bracket and push tube. I am not ordering the actual plough until I can find a way to avoid the $100 shipping charge.

I also want to know if I should order a 60", or 66" plough? The 66" one is about $100 more. My trailer is 66.125" wide and the side rails are 10.5" high. If the 66" plough is angled will it fit in? Will I even notice the 6" difference?

Reactions: Shadesmn and HP5NC
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I referenced the KFI mount on their site. This 4500 lb KFI winch I found for 200.00 on Facebook market will work on the P5 with the KFI mount. It is a steel cable. I need to switch to synthetic and get a hawse and wireless remote as well. All in I’d be look at 275-300 dollars if I went this route and bought this 4500 lb KFI winch.

My other option is to get a badlands 3500 with harbor freight wireless remote synthetic rope an hawse an KFI mount. Total for this setup the way I want I’d be looking at roughly 200-215 bucks.

I’ll also be using the Honda accessory subharness.

I am planning to get the Honda OEM hard coat tip out windshield as well which is 432.00 best I can find. So I’m trying to watch the dollars here. I have 800 for the winch and windshield. Decisions decisions.

This KFI 4500 I have found is new I’m box never mounted. But I’d have no warrantyi don’t tbink of I bought it. I guess it depends if I want warranty or not? Plus I can run over to harbor freight any day an pick the badlands 3500 up...I know it’s a good buy in the KFI. Oh it’s also the wide spool model. Hmm I don’t know fellas ?????

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!