P500 I'm looking for "simple" winch purchase.

tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I love Harbor Freight. I recently moved and there is no Harbor Freight that I have access to. I miss Harbor Freight.
...........BUT.............
You get what you pay for.
Harbor Freight has cheap tools at a cheap price. I have never bought anything from them that I must count on for daily use. If a Harbor Freight tool breaks (as they often do) I toss it and buy another one from them.
Perhaps you should consider buying the FaceBook winch and NOT change to synthetic cable until it kinks up.
I hope I never have to use my winch; I want one only to avoid the 5 mile walk back to civilization.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I referenced the KFI mount on their site. This 4500 lb KFI winch I found for 200.00 on Facebook market will work on the P5 with the KFI mount. It is a steel cable. I need to switch to synthetic and get a hawse and wireless remote as well. All in I’d be look at 275-300 dollars if I went this route and bought this 4500 lb KFI winch. My other option is to get a badlands 3500 with harbor freight wireless remote synthetic rope an hawse an KFI mount. Total for this setup the way I want I’d be looking at roughly 200-215 bucks. I’ll also be using the Honda accessory subharness. I am planning to get the Honda OEM hard coat tip out windshield as well which is 432.00 best I can find. So I’m trying to watch the dollars here. I have 800 for the winch and windshield. Decisions decisions.
This KFI 4500 I have found is new I’m box never mounted. But I’d have no warrantyi don’t tbink of I bought it. I guess it depends if I want warranty or not? Plus I can run over to harbor freight any day an pick the badlands 3500 up...I know it’s a good buy in the KFI. Oh it’s also the wide spool model. Hmm I don’t know fellas ?????

I'm not a fan of cable winches, but I would likely go with the 4500 KFI and take all the safety precautions using a cable winch under pressure. Here is a nice article on winches, Winching Do’s And Don’ts: Tips And Tricks for Safe 4x4 recovery

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
I just ordered a KFI 3500 lb winch with synthetic rope and mounting bracket from FORTNINE. I also ordered a plow bracket and push tube. I am not ordering the actual plough until I can find a way to avoid the $100 shipping charge.

I also want to know if I should order a 60", or 66" plough? The 66" one is about $100 more. My trailer is 66.125" wide and the side rails are 10.5" high. If the 66" plough is angled will it fit in? Will I even notice the 6" difference?
You will notice the difference in blade width. The 66 is bigger all around. I ran a 60 on my atvs and went up to 66 with the p5 and am glad I did. Especially if you change the wheels and tires to be any wider. A 60 at full angle clears about 52 inch path which isn't as wide as your footprint with bigger tires and or wheels. Not sure about you, but I prefer to not drive on the snow I'm clearing as much as I can avoid it...if you primarily push with the blade straight through 60 is sufficient, I just like a bit wider path with each pass. Also recommend adding a rubber flap to the top of the blade if it doesn't come with it, makes a world of difference in pushing capacity.

Reactions: trigger
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I just ordered a KFI 3500 lb winch with synthetic rope and mounting bracket from FORTNINE. I also ordered a plow bracket and push tube. I am not ordering the actual plough until I can find a way to avoid the $100 shipping charge.

I also want to know if I should order a 60", or 66" plough? The 66" one is about $100 more. My trailer is 66.125" wide and the side rails are 10.5" high. If the 66" plough is angled will it fit in? Will I even notice the 6" difference?

If may fit in the other option is to haul with blade lifted above the sides or resting on top with plank across the top of trailer sides. Get the 66” blade I debated and am glad I finally got the 66. With P5 you can move a lot of snow with a 66” blade, I thought it would be on the toy end of the useful spectrum..... not awesome tool for pushing snow. Also when you get it set up check out how to adjust the reverse lockout lever so you don’t have to pull it for reverse.... way nicer for ploughing.
Cheers,
j

Reactions: trigger
Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
I second the reverse lever mod. Way nicer to not have to mess with that both while plowing and riding

Reactions: Mudder
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I second the reverse lever mod. Way nicer to not have to mess with that both while plowing and riding
Agree, don’t know who first figured out the reverse lever adjustment, but kudos to them. 5 minutes, easy and effective, just like the seat belt speed limiter disable.
Ready to buy synthetic rope based on forum, will carry in toobox as extra line until wire rope needs replacement. Thanks Forum.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Consider getting plow markers too, they're cheap and it's always good to see exactly where that blade is. ;)

Plow Markers

Reactions: Shadesmn