cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
i know this might cause some feathers to be ruffled... but here it goes. i used to work for a fuel tank supplier to the big 3 along with a handful of other OEM's. we did have special fuel pumps that would go into flex fuel vehicles that required all stainless steel to be used in pumps springs etc. keep in mind that flex fuel is E85 or 15% ethanol give or take on the mix and time of year. E90 or regular fuel only contains around 10% ethanol. Ethanol is not exactly the spawn of Satan when it comes to fuels. Case in point "moisture in fuel". People who run strictly ethanol free gasoline for longer periods of time and allow their machine to sit will often times experience rough running for short periods of time and extreme cases no starts. this is due to the hydrocarbon based fuel being hydrophobic. water separates and settles to the bottom of the tank where the fuel pump draws obviously water doesnt aid in combustion so you get rough running symptoms until which point the fuel begins to mix and you begin getting gasoline instead of water into the system. If you are one of these people who only uses ethanol free gas what will happen is over time the water content will become more and more. this is where ethanol comes in. ethanol will absorb water in the fuel tank and being an alcohol will burn. in short if you are going to run ethanol free gas all the time it would be beneficial to run a tank or regular gas through it every once and awhile.
Very good and interesting information!!

Reactions: Rambo and JTW
S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
i know this might cause some feathers to be ruffled... but here it goes. i used to work for a fuel tank supplier to the big 3 along with a handful of other OEM's. we did have special fuel pumps that would go into flex fuel vehicles that required all stainless steel to be used in pumps springs etc. keep in mind that flex fuel is E85 or 15% ethanol give or take on the mix and time of year. E90 or regular fuel only contains around 10% ethanol. Ethanol is not exactly the spawn of Satan when it comes to fuels. Case in point "moisture in fuel". People who run strictly ethanol free gasoline for longer periods of time and allow their machine to sit will often times experience rough running for short periods of time and extreme cases no starts. this is due to the hydrocarbon based fuel being hydrophobic. water separates and settles to the bottom of the tank where the fuel pump draws obviously water doesnt aid in combustion so you get rough running symptoms until which point the fuel begins to mix and you begin getting gasoline instead of water into the system. If you are one of these people who only uses ethanol free gas what will happen is over time the water content will become more and more. this is where ethanol comes in. ethanol will absorb water in the fuel tank and being an alcohol will burn. in short if you are going to run ethanol free gas all the time it would be beneficial to run a tank or regular gas through it every once and awhile.
You are correct about the effects of ethanol, the E in the blend stands for the percentage of ethanol in the blend. E85 is 85 percent ethanol,10 percent gasoline. E10 that most regular gasoline sold is 10% ethanol 90% gasoline. Honda recommends no more than 10% ethanol. They are in the works of making E15 which is 15% ethanol, this can damage the fuel system and engine.

Tropicalfruitfarm

Tropicalfruitfarm

Nov 2, 2016
Merritt Island
www.islandtropicalfruit.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Great comments by all. Here in Florida, we have a lot of water, and therefore a lot of boats. Boats and ethanol don't mix. We also have lots of hurricanes, which in turn means a lot of chainsaws and other gas powered tools that aren't keen on the ethanol. Every gas station around here has "ethanol free" pumps. It's not common to see a traffic jam caused by people filling their 100 gallon boat tanks with ethanol free gas. It's Satan around here.

I do use Heet in my tank and sometimes wonder, while I am pouring it in the tank, if I'm making my own ethanol blend!

My hunting lease has 55,000 head of cattle on it. When I get home the bike is covered in cow manure and I wash it down throughly. After watching videos of people driving these things like submarines, I thought they were made to handle a bit of water. To not be able to wash the vehicle and let it get rained on is absurd to say the least. Perhaps Honda had the Saudi Arabians in mind when they designed this vehicle, use once and throw away.

Sorry, but it is a piss poor choice of materials they used in this fuel assembly. Those metal rods should be made out of something else period.

Where is the tank vent and how could water be getting in by washing it down?

Thank you in advance.

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There are threads on venting with pictures, but the vent tube runs from the fuel pump assembly in your pictures up into the square tube under the passenger side of the seat and just terminates in the tube. If water runs down into the tube then the vent hose is in a low point and allows water to enter the hose and then the tank.
Did they drain the tank and find water in it?

hoghead76

hoghead76

Feb 7, 2018
oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is what I have been using in my boat and started using in sxs with good results. 20181122 105313

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
This topic is just another reason I love this site. K have learned a TREMENDOUS amount of information about all kinds of subjects. We all have opinions and different experiences with things. Everyone can add there .02 and no one gets butt hurt.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pretty much impossible to find ethanol free gas anywhere around here, so I’ve learned to live with it. I’ve been using this stuff for years. 1oz per 5 gallon gas can. Never have any fuel problems with any of my stuff including the lawn mower and weed whacker that sit for 6 months a year.

C7650F05 1D9D 4342 8064 F26CA474BFBA

J

JTW

Pretty much impossible to find ethanol free gas anywhere around here, so I’ve learned to live with it. I’ve been using this stuff for years. 1oz per 5 gallon gas can. Never have any fuel problems with any of my stuff including the lawn mower and weed whacker that sit for 6 months a year.

View attachment 94631
When I don’t use non ethanol (which is rare) I dump some star tron in my stuff..

Reactions: dilligaff82
SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Mule would probably be a better farm rig... but that’s it!
I ride with a guy that has a 4 seat Mule with a 3" shock lift and he goes almost anywhere I go in my 4" Portalized, 30" tires goes.

advertisement
SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I used to work in the gas station business, 'ALL' tanks that fuel is stored in have a small amount of water in them. Especially the tanks in the ground, majority is from condensation!
If any of you guys remimber seeing attendants using a stick to measure fuel levels in tanks. There was also a paste material on the end of the stick to monitor the amount of water in the bottom af the tank. The pumps are not pulling off the bottom of the tank. The problem comes when you buy fuel after the tanks has been resupplied. The water and contaminants become stirred up. Just FYI you should NOT buy fuel while a transport is there dropping fuel!!!!
I have also seen a couple time when a stations personel were stealing fuel and adding water to the tank to compensate for the loss of fuel!!!!
How did they get the fuel out of the main tank? Putting water back in is not going to change the pumps meter? Right?

Reactions: Tramguage1
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
How did they get the fuel out of the main tank? Putting water back in is not going to change the pumps meter? Right?
Yes, they used a manual pump inserted in the tank fill inlet. They did it overnight, there wasn't cameras everywhere like there is now a days. But you are correct
about the totalizer readings at each pump. I would say 95% of all gas station pumps supply very close to the same amount of fuel every month. Attendants used to have to stick the tanks( a manual measurement of amount of fuel in the tank) before and after there shift. Also each pump has a meter that keeps track of the gals dispensed. I'm sure now a days it's all electronically monitered.
The fuel companies are NOT going to loose $$$$.

Reactions: Montecresto
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yeah, but he can actually drive!

LOL!!!

When I took my 1st fishing/riding trip to Canada I was in between toy's at the time..... A friend loaned me a 2 wheel drive Timberwolf clone. I made that thing go everywhere the Honda's and 700 Arctic Cat's were going. The only real difference was that I was the only one in the group with off road racing experience.

Reactions: JTW
J

Jade

Nov 10, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Greetings All,
I wanted to share some important photos of the Honda Pioneer 1000 fuel system, and what can happen.
To keep it short, my P1K was having some problems running. I took it to the shop, and after about 20 minutes they asked me to come over the the bay. Sitting on top of the bench was the fuel system from my P1K. I was shocked, and in total dis-belief. They asked me if I let my P1K sit for long periods of time with less than a full tank....... The photos appear to be the result. Unbelievable Honda.

View attachment 94309 View attachment 94310 View attachment 94311

Thank you for sharing, I have 2018 model, read the manual and it did state in there that for storage to disconnect battery and have a full tank of gas to help keep out condensation. Went back to my 2011 ATV and the Honda manual for that one says the exact same thing. Ironically my Pickup also says it in its manual, so seems to me this may not be unique to Honda. I always keep my tanks full, with stable for the winter.

Reactions: Farmer
G

gweedo

Apr 12, 2018
Odaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Greetings All,
I wanted to share some important photos of the Honda Pioneer 1000 fuel system, and what can happen.
To keep it short, my P1K was having some problems running. I took it to the shop, and after about 20 minutes they asked me to come over the the bay. Sitting on top of the bench was the fuel system from my P1K. I was shocked, and in total dis-belief. They asked me if I let my P1K sit for long periods of time with less than a full tank....... The photos appear to be the result. Unbelievable Honda.

View attachment 94309 View attachment 94310 View attachment 94311
I use HELIX in my tank and everything I own, my Honda, and all of my small engines. read about it, keeps everything clean, increases octane and can last two years. I don't represent the company, a very knowledgeable mechanic recommended it, he say it's like a carb cleaner they used years ago but was banded long ago. he called it a carburetor rebuild in a bottle. try it, take a jet, put 50/50 gas/helix let is set over night, it should look like new in the morning. this my first post, usually i just read the posts, but i felt you should know about this in case you don't. that problem with his fuel system not good.

Reactions: Farmer and Mudwing
G

gweedo

Apr 12, 2018
Odaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
sorry one
I use HELIX in my tank and everything I own, my Honda, and all of my small engines. read about it, keeps everything clean, increases octane and can last two years. I don't represent the company, a very knowledgeable mechanic recommended it, he say it's like a carb cleaner they used years ago but was banded long ago. he called it a carburetor rebuild in a bottle. try it, take a jet, put 50/50 gas/helix let is set over night, it should look like new in the morning. this my first post, usually i just read the posts, but i felt you should know about this in case you don't. that problem with his fuel system not good.[/QUOTE

Disclaimer, before you try anything new to you, you should do your own research and check with your mechanics. this is just something I do and it works for me, I wouldn't want anyone to cause any damage to their machine based on my post. So don't use it based soley on my opinion. thnx, BTW. I enjoy reading the post, tons of good info here. mine is 2015 p-5

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!