Tropicalfruitfarm

Tropicalfruitfarm

Nov 2, 2016
Merritt Island
www.islandtropicalfruit.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Greetings All,
I wanted to share some important photos of the Honda Pioneer 1000 fuel system, and what can happen.
To keep it short, my P1K was having some problems running. I took it to the shop, and after about 20 minutes they asked me to come over the the bay. Sitting on top of the bench was the fuel system from my P1K. I was shocked, and in total dis-belief. They asked me if I let my P1K sit for long periods of time with less than a full tank....... The photos appear to be the result. Unbelievable Honda.

IMG 4850
IMG 4851
IMG 4852

Reactions: TimG and sharp
D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Guess my anal retentive habit of always topping it off after a ride might not be a bad idea after all! I wonder how common this issue is.

So what did they say was causing your issue? Chunks of rust plugging up the fuel filter?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The rust is caused by condensation in the tank. The tank getting heated by the engine heat doesn't help. Same as the condensation on the car windows when the inside is warmer than the outside. @JTW this is your que!
Lol. Like they always told me with my dozer and back hoe, keep the tanks full.

Tropicalfruitfarm

Tropicalfruitfarm

Nov 2, 2016
Merritt Island
www.islandtropicalfruit.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Dealer said if you are going to leave the bike for an extended period of time, keep it filled with fuel.

Dealer said fuel filter has particles in it AND there is now way to simply clean it.

Apparently, Kawasaki has a screen around or near the fuel filter that can be unscrewed and cleaned, easily, UNLIKE the Honda.

In my opinion, this is piss poor design by Honda and certainly has me re-thinking the Kawasaki Mule for my farm needs.

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Dealer said if you are going to leave the bike for an extended period of time, keep it filled with fuel.

Dealer said fuel filter has particles in it AND there is now way to simply clean it.

Apparently, Kawasaki has a screen around or near the fuel filter that can be unscrewed and cleaned, easily, UNLIKE the Honda.

In my opinion, this is piss poor design by Honda and certainly has me re-thinking the Kawasaki Mule for my farm needs.
There’s been a lot of people to complain of a lot of things that Honda has fell below what has come to be expected of them based upon their history. We all keep hoping that Honda is paying attention to the many forums on the web where these things are being discussed.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Looks to me like using a rust free material in the fuel tank would make the most sense.
That’s probably what they’ll begin doing as dealerships report increasing incidents of this. I’m starting right now to add Heet* to my fuel that I already had been adding a stabilizer to. I wonder if an additional, transparent and easily replaceable in line filter would be prudent, or even possible???

H

HondaTech

Honda did have a update on 2016 models only for water getting into the fuel tank and sub trans.

The drains in the seat rail were enlarged to help drain any water out instead.

The Pioneer also has an automotive style filter sock on the bottom of the pump and can be cleaned, but the filter is replaced as a set. Its the same set-up as a Kawasaki, you just cant replace the sock only.

A lot of your guys perceived "problems" are your ignorant dealers, who are most likely multi-line and don't want to fool with Honda or have no idea how anything without a belt operates. Anybody else fuel pump has the same style of fuel pump and would rust in the presents of moisture. Truth be told they probably all come from the same supplier.
That fuel tank has had water in it, whether from the aforementioned drain issue, or from the source.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My fuel regimen is... 1; "fill 'er up and then run 'er till she's dry. 2; NEVER wash it or leave it in the rain unless you've done the fuel tank vent relo procedure. Water in the tank from condensation isn't Honda's fault. What IS Honda's fault is a horrible fuel tank vent that allows water to contaminate the fuel in the tank just from a simple rain event or even washing your machine.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Honda did have a update on 2016 models only for water getting into the fuel tank and sub trans.

The drains in the seat rail were enlarged to help drain any water out instead.
I don’t recall that and I have a 2016. I have an appointment with my dealer to drop mine off after the holiday for the clutch, cabin comfort, air intake, muffler guard and whatever else needs to be done and should add that to the list. Would you happen to know the recall notice number on that?

Reactions: Farmer
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Greetings All,
I wanted to share some important photos of the Honda Pioneer 1000 fuel system, and what can happen.
To keep it short, my P1K was having some problems running. I took it to the shop, and after about 20 minutes they asked me to come over the the bay. Sitting on top of the bench was the fuel system from my P1K. I was shocked, and in total dis-belief. They asked me if I let my P1K sit for long periods of time with less than a full tank....... The photos appear to be the result. Unbelievable Honda.

View attachment 94309 View attachment 94310 View attachment 94311
Do you use stabilizer in your gas?

Reactions: Farmer
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I used to work in the gas station business, 'ALL' tanks that fuel is stored in have a small amount of water in them. Especially the tanks in the ground, majority is from condensation!
If any of you guys remimber seeing attendants using a stick to measure fuel levels in tanks. There was also a paste material on the end of the stick to monitor the amount of water in the bottom af the tank. The pumps are not pulling off the bottom of the tank. The problem comes when you buy fuel after the tanks has been resupplied. The water and contaminants become stirred up. Just FYI you should NOT buy fuel while a transport is there dropping fuel!!!!
I have also seen a couple time when a stations personel were stealing fuel and adding water to the tank to compensate for the loss of fuel!!!!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!