P1000 Inferno heater install: need advice please

H

hammick

Aug 1, 2019
Montana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The wife and I installed a UPI Inferno heater on our '18 LE today (I'm surprised she's still talking to me). We got it done with no leaks and it's putting out good heat. However the large duct run for the defrost vents got wrapped around the front drive shaft. The instructions didn't mention anything about keeping the duct clear of the drive shaft.

Since we have an LE we don't have the front skid plate mentioned in the instructions. We have a full aluminum skid plate. Is it easier to remove the aluminum skid plate or the floor from inside the cab? Are there good areas to zip tie the duct so it doesn't come into contact with the driveshaft?

On the chance UPI won't send me some new ducting where can I buy this stuff?

Thanks.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The wife and I installed a UPI Inferno heater on our '18 LE today (I'm surprised she's still talking to me). We got it done with no leaks and it's putting out good heat. However the large duct run for the defrost vents got wrapped around the front drive shaft. The instructions didn't mention anything about keeping the duct clear of the drive shaft.

Since we have an LE we don't have the front skid plate mentioned in the instructions. We have a full aluminum skid plate. Is it easier to remove the aluminum skid plate or the floor from inside the cab? Are there good areas to zip tie the duct so it doesn't come into contact with the driveshaft?

Thanks.
Yep, move South! Just being a wise acre here, I have no info. Post what you have found please!

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks.

You can get that product at any HVAC (heating & ventilation) contractor or supply store. For no more than you need they'll probably give you a piece.
Yes you can zip tie it just make sure to to don't crush or restrict it too much. Someone on here has pictures of a neat install where they mounted the heater and the ducts up through the cup-holders. There is a ton of room under the dash to pretty much just lay them there and get heat, there really isn't much of a wall separating the dash from the front compartment.

R

Ranger620vs

Feb 24, 2019
Cottage Grove MN
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Inferno sells the duct. They are probably going to be a good place to go. It would be hard to get that small of flex at a supply house.

I’m not impressed with the heater. Mine seems to cool down way to fast over 30mph. I’m thinking of putting insulation under the seat around the heater.

H

hammick

Aug 1, 2019
Montana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Inferno sells the duct. They are probably going to be a good place to go. It would be hard to get that small of flex at a supply house.

I’m not impressed with the heater. Mine seems to cool down way to fast over 30mph. I’m thinking of putting insulation under the seat around the heater.

Haven't had cold enough weather for a thorough review of the heater but I can say the customer service is super. UPI answered the phone and they are sending me new duct at no charge. I didn't even have to ask. And the fit and finish on the heater install is great. Just don't be a moron like me and let the duct rub against the drive shaft.

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV

I had the same issue until I blocked off 3/4 of the main radiator with a piece of cardboard. Makes a huge difference!

1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the inferno heater. I tried to get the defrost kit on the dash but it seemed overly complicated to get the duct work behind the dashboard. The floor board would be easier than removing the skid plate. I've had both off and the skid plate is a PITA. When I looked into doing this the drive shaft and radiator lines where in the way. Did you split 1line? I'd like to see a photo of where on the dash your vents are located.

1101HotDog

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2019
Fargo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tried to keep my heater install as simple as possible. I put it under the seat but first I sealed up the complete "box" area with closed cell backer rod and black silicone caulking. I used 2 - 3" duct hoses to vent behind riders legs. I put 4" grates on the end to eliminate as much static loading as possible. My cab gets filled with very warm air and windshield fans keep everything clear and warm air moving. I did put 2 makeup air vents on the floor going into the heater area just to ensure adequate flow through the system.

Reactions: Vikes79
P

patpete

Apr 8, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I took my Honda heater out and did this. I also put my fan on a variable knob instead of low/off/high

25249F15 CDED 4546 A7B5 8F5172E8AADB

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudwing
H

hammick

Aug 1, 2019
Montana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have the inferno heater. I tried to get the defrost kit on the dash but it seemed overly complicated to get the duct work behind the dashboard. The floor board would be easier than removing the skid plate. I've had both off and the skid plate is a PITA. When I looked into doing this the drive shaft and radiator lines where in the way. Did you split 1line? I'd like to see a photo of where on the dash your vents are located.

The metal skid plate on the LE isn't that bad if you have a jack, a piece of 12" or so length wood to put on top of the jack, and an impact wrench. I see no way possible to route the duct without removing the skid plate. I got it routed and away from the drive shaft using the very large zip ties that you can get at Harbor Freight.

When putting the skid plate back on I used the jack again and dried out all the bolt holes very good with compressed air. My wife handed me the bolts with a dab of medium thread locker on each. Cinched them up with my impact.

I'll post a pic of my defrost vents but I have the LE so probably in a different location then on the Deluxe or basic model.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!