P500 Installed EZ Gate

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
IMG 20180823 133637678
I installed a EZ Gate by Ballard Inc. today. It's nice! Makes lowering and raising the ramp on the trailer a breeze. It appears to be well made. Only time will tell how it holds up. At this point I am impressed and the price wasn't bad. Ballard had it for $129.00 plus $30.00 shipping or you can get it from Amazon for $139 and free shipping and its shipped from Ballard if that makes any sense. Directions were easy to follow and all the hardware is supplied to mount it on both flat and tube rails. I did have to move the pully bracket back about 1 inch due to the way my Big Tex trailer is made. It dosen't seem to effect the operation. My back sure likes it.
IMG 20180823 133637678

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don't have a Big Tex (Carson) but yeah, that gate is damn heavy.

Actually, I'd like to get rid if the gate...or maybe pull the mesh...I dunno. The thing is like pulling a brick wall down the highway with it up, even empty. Someone somewhere claimed that aerodynamically, it is almost like a brick wall at 50mph.

Reactions: Farmer
NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500

Actually, I'd like to get rid if the gate...or maybe pull the mesh...I dunno. The thing is like pulling a brick wall down the highway with it up, even empty. Someone somewhere claimed that aerodynamically, it is almost like a brick wall at 50mph.
When I get time I plan to spit the gate on my trailer in half horizontally and add a hinge so that the top of the ramp folds down.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
58536917 7F58 4C6F 92BA 9D3A8037A23C
When I get time I plan to spit the gate on my trailer in half horizontally and add a hinge so that the top of the ramp folds down.
That’s what my gate does. It’s nice as in looks nice and there’s not much of a catch all. It takes a bit more time to un latch the chain and hem plate with the pins, just make sure to not loose them lol. You will also have 2 locks on either side so it dosnt fall back on you when your folding it up to full. All a bit of a pita but you get use to it. It’s still just as heavy as a full gate. Ben thinking of the apparatus Above but not sure if it would work on a folding gate due to all the safety like procedures of taking it down.

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500

I know a couple of guys that took their drop gate off and are using ramps they got fron Harbor Freight.

advertisement
rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Been thinking about it. Would like to see one in action.
Works great. You don't even have to bend over to close it just use your foot to get it started up and close it the rest of the way by hand. If you go on Utube and type in trailer gate lift assist there are videos on how to make them from parts you get from the hardware store.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yeah the mesh really kills mileage. We always pulled the ramp of for long trips.

Reactions: DG Rider
rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Been using car ramps myself...LOL![/QUO
Never thought or car ramps but why not. I used 8 foot long 1"x8"s for years to load my four wheeler into my truck. Quit that when I realized I no longer bounce when I hit the ground. I just lay there and do inventory for broken bones. Lol

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I looked at some alum. trailers with side rails ramps when I was looking and they were nice but more than I was willing to pay. One of the guys that took his ramp gate off made a rack that bolted on the side rail and hangs a set of alum. ramps from Harber Freight on it and uses a Master Lock python cable lock to secure it.

Last edited:
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

When I bought my trailerman, they told me to let the gate down to the floor when pulling it empty. I agree about the brick wall thing.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
When I bought my trailerman, they told me to let the gate down to the floor when pulling it empty. I agree about the brick wall thing.
I used to do that on my old 5x8 quad trailer and it makes a huge difference. Unfortunately, the design of one i have now prevents it. The gate butts up against the side rails when in the up position.

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I used to do that on my old 5x8 quad trailer and it makes a huge difference. Unfortunately, the design of one i have now prevents it. The gate butts up against the side rails when in the up position.
Yepper got the same problem. Its either up or drag it.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!