futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Fully realizing each gate situation is different, I'd love to hear some feedback on your experiences with gate widths vs. buggy width. And how much the rear plastics might give before snapping!

Asking for a friend . . . 😀

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Mostly private land here with very few gates. That being said, gubmint now getting more involved and contemplating a supposed weight limit. Not sure how they'll deal with it or whether certain rigs will all of a sudden be 'illegal'. Always important for clubs to stay active to keep an eye on these weasels.....

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
futz, I should add that the fenders are pretty stout. My property trails (carved with a jackknife someone said) probably have 40 or so natural gates. I'm more concerned backing into trees/rocks and bustin 'em that way but so far so good. I've realized also the reason I went to a 50"er from the Rhino was more about the 50 from rollbar to rollbar and frame rail to frame rail. And geardriven.....

Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Have been through a couple of 50" gates in Ely MN and in a state forest with trails in central MN that are class 1&2 and haven't had an issue. I've been told the trail police are thick in the Ely area from time to time but I haven't been stopped by one yet. I'm curious as to how strict they are. I'm planning on getting some 1" wheel spacers and am wondering if they'll give me a hard time if I'm over a bit. The rear fenders will bend quite a bit. Didn't even have 10 miles on my rig when I jackknifed a trailer against the drivers side fender causing it to bend to the point I thought it was going to at least crack. Scratches up the wazoo but no cracks or broken bits.

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I haven't had to go through a 50" gate yet, but I know of a few on trails I have been on with ATVs that I will likely go on with the P500.

I am a bit nervous as I put 1.5" spacers on the front and 2" spacers on the back to help with the tippiness of adding 27" tires.

Hoping I can squeeze through. I'll report back after I (attempt to) go through some this summer.

R

Rustell

It's a "tight" fit
50 gate

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
In Utah, particularly the PaiuteTrail System the 50" gates are definitely no wider than 51". Different wider tires and wheel offsets on a P500 will most always not fit. Spent 3 weeks there in 2012 on a showroom stock 50" RZR then another week in 2018 on a Pioneer. At this particular 3 million acre trail system there are 50" & 60" gates on certain trails, clearly marked on all the maps with usually a non width restriction go around.

That said all the best trails there are behind the 50" gates but definitely worth going once for the scenery on any size machine.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Been through many gates. Around here they're usually made by guard rail. I've had to squeeze the tires through on some but most I don't even touch. The problem is there are tighter spots on the trail than the gates are wide. Have crossed a few bridges too, made for atv's, kind of tight and rickity for a sxs but it makes it.

advertisement
B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
So in oregon some places have posts in the ground to limit trails to the atv only. The posts are only about 2 ft tall. One time a buddy was riding the wife's polaris atv and didn't see them and caught one with a front tire. Pegged the bike flipped it and flew off like superman. Everything was ok.

L

lazypengu1n

May 15, 2021
Live Free or Die
Ownership

1. 520
Thank you posting this photo. The trails around me at 50" only for ATV but are approx 53"-54" - They aren't exact. To be able to access 50" gates was the main purpose for me to sell my 08' RZR 800 and pre-order the 520 and set it up as a hunting rig in my area in the North East.

N

Nivek

Dec 30, 2020
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-2
Here in southern Maine, we ride on trails/ roads owned by two different water companies. Also land owned by the state. All gates are locked but they have slots that atvs and utvs can use to access the areas. Most are 60“ wide. No dirt bike are allowed. We all have permits given out to use the properties. Also lots of mt bikes and hikers use it and sleds in the winter. Really lucky to have this just a few miles away. 👍

MtClimber500

MtClimber500

Supporting Member
Nov 21, 2020
Butte, Mt
Ownership

1. 500
There are a lot of 50 inch trails here in MT. Some gates and fence bridges are around 51 inches and there are lots of narrow chainsaw cuts through logs and around corners that are only about 50 inches. That is the main reason I haven't added wheel spacers. Along with the added splatter of mud spacers cause. Even with Mudbuster fender flairs you get a lot of mud.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Well, my friend says sometimes it rains for a day and half solid before one attempts to go somewhere new (which has a reputation of being pretty darn knarly). This spot is restricted to 50" machines and at least one trailhead has a gate.

Therefore my friend (and possibly three of their friends) make a road trip with a single quad (and a tape measure) to scope things out for the future.

Sometimes a 50" restricted trail has a 60" gate at the trailhead. Sometimes. Reportedly.

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Well, my friend says sometimes it rains for a day and half solid before one attempts to go somewhere new (which has a reputation of being pretty darn knarly). This spot is restricted to 50" machines and at least one trailhead has a gate.

Therefore my friend (and possibly three of their friends) make a road trip with a single quad (and a tape measure) to scope things out for the future.

Sometimes a 50" restricted trail has a 60" gate at the trailhead. Sometimes. Reportedly.
I ran into a 50" trailhead gate today. I didn't go down that trail, as I had my family with me, but the gate was considerably wider than 50". I am about 53.5" and had plenty of room (I tested the gate). I don't know if they have other gates further down the trail, tho.

M

Mickey308

Dec 31, 2016
Montana
Ownership

1. 500
In Montana gates were put up for specific reasons. However, those with machines wider than 50 inches are cutting paths around gates and bridges so they can have "fun" too. People have completely removed the gates where I ride. It seems to me these over sized units are tearing up the trails. Some day the federal agencies are going to ban all of us.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!