P500 Share Your 50" Gate Experiences

C

Canbar

Mar 26, 2016
Crazy Mountains
Ownership

1. 500
In Montana gates were put up for specific reasons. However, those with machines wider than 50 inches are cutting paths around gates and bridges so they can have "fun" too. People have completely removed the gates where I ride. It seems to me these over sized units are tearing up the trails. Some day the federal agencies are going to ban all of us.

bpike207

bpike207

Feb 28, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
The 50" trail gates around here seem to be about 54-55" wide to give a little bit of leeway while driving through them. I see the same as Canbar, people are just making trails around the gates with bigger machines. Most of the 50" trails are set that width because the trail system is narrow. Makes coming face to face with some of the bigger machines a little sketchy.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Revisiting an older thread.

I measured my 520 this morning. It was less than 55" wide at the front but for sure more than 54" at the lugs of the tires.

My set up is Tusk 14 x 7" wheels 5/2 at each corner. Tires are 27 x 11 x14 Maxxis Bighorn3.0s. I have spacers in the back to even up the rear track to the front.

I like the stance and the look of my current set up, but I am rethinking my choices based on some of the trails I want to go do. The Piaute trail is on my list since it is close to Moab where we go about once a year. There are other trails like the Wagon Wheel around Meeker and some other trails in Montana and Idaho. I don't see a way to get back to less than 52" wide unless I find different wheels and tires that I like.

To that end, I have found some wheels that are 6" wide and have an offset of 38mm. The curious part is that they still advertised that back spacing is still 5". this tells me I might be able to shed a 1/4-1/2" on each side.

Going from a 11" wide tire to a 9" or 10" would also save me an inch on each side.

I'm not concerned about the expense of new wheels and tires as I know I can sell the set I have no problem.

I suspect that if I can get the tires down to less than 52" wide, I could likely squeeze them through a 50" gate which it sounds like are mostly around 51.5" to 54". The 500/520 is narrow enough to get through body wise...

I sold my stock wheels and tires. I won't go back to 24" tires and I didn't really care for the look of the stock steel wheels. Anyone know of a wheel that might help with this?

Rob

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Getting through the gate is one thing, getting through what's on the other side without ending up on your side is another. Don't know how stable these 520's are stock, I know they lowered them like an inch back in '17. My '15 wasn't all that stable with the stock tires, then threw some true 26's on it and it was a pucker fest. @100Acre wouldn't heed advice and rode that way for a couple yrs and ended up on his side more than anyone I know, there's pics all over the forum of this and I think they were 25's. Gave the same advice to a new member a few yrs ago that decided to go his own way, he totaled that machine on a curve.
Anyone who says it's stable with taller tires and hasn't spread the stance has never challenged their machine or they'd know better. You can set them up tall and skinny but I wouldn't want to drive it. FWIW

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I would definitely agree with everything you said about “going out if I go up”. I took that advice to heart when I was a newbie too. Made sure I was trying to do everything right, and not saying I did anything wrong, but not sure I ended up with exactly what I wanted either.

Almost 55” wide certainly adds to stability and that is more important than visiting a 50” trail once or twice a year. Still, I wonder how the other manufactures can get away with a 50 inch machine that has more ground clearance and bigger tires and yet I have not heard of any tipping over? It could be that I just haven’t heard that they tip over.

I suspect my quick fix for this is to just have two sets of wheels and tires. When we decide to do 50 inch trails away from home I swapped out to some thing that makes my machine close to 50 inches. The rest of the time we ride, I just keep the current set up that I have now.

either way, this is still a great discussion for any of the new guys that want to stay close to stock but want to go up in tire size. And I know even if they don’t appreciate the conversation, I certainly do.
Thanks,

Rob

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Fully realizing each gate situation is different, I'd love to hear some feedback on your experiences with gate widths vs. buggy width. And how much the rear plastics might give before snapping!

Asking for a friend . . . 😀
We have 50" barriers all over Colorado and I have never broken anything but have got yellow post paint on the P5. You have to really pay attention.

U

UFF

Jun 19, 2021
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Stock mine measured 49.5” in front and 50” in rear. 1.5” wider in front and 2” wider in rear. Wheels are 5+2 on the web site, but I think they are closer to a 5.5+1.5. Here is a better pick of the wheel. Tires are sniper 920’s.
46E20477 4B9C 4095 A9F6 DDF65C727AAF

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Stock mine measured 49.5” in front and 50” in rear. 1.5” wider in front and 2” wider in rear. Wheels are 5+2 on the web site, but I think they are closer to a 5.5+1.5. Here is a better pick of the wheel. Tires are sniper 920’s.View attachment 329353
Thanks for the measurements and the great pics!

advertisement
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Been through many gates. Around here they're usually made by guard rail. I've had to squeeze the tires through on some but most I don't even touch. The problem is there are tighter spots on the trail than the gates are wide. Have crossed a few bridges too, made for atv's, kind of tight and rickity for a sxs but it makes it.
I'm sure you have posted this many times, but with the new a-arms and wheel/tires you run, how wide is your P500?

Rob

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
We have 50" barriers all over Colorado and I have never broken anything but have got yellow post paint on the P5. You have to really pay attention.
I appreciate everyone sharing with the 50" gate experience. I have quite a few trails I want to ride and hearing that I have options even if I can't get through a 50" gate is encouraging. I've watched a lot of videos on the Piaute and Wagon Wheel, they of course have some amazing trails that are only available to a smaller machine.

I don't want to put my wife or myself at risk by going too narrow. But I'm guessing that there is a lot of cool scenery out there if my 520 can fit.

In my state, we have very few trails to use. Everything I have seen here is 60". A P520 is not going to run with the big boys and frankly I don't want to. I want to get to places others can't, and that means trails with limitations. I won't go around a a gate, either I find a way to go through it or I don't get to partake.

Thanks,

Rob

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!