Interest in a Talon X/R2, X4 seat cargo deck

Would you be interested in replacing your Talon seats with a cargo deck for overlanding trips?

• A removeable rear seat cargo deck would be useful

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • A removeble front passenger seat cargo deck would be useful

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Not interested. I need the seats and will use the cargo bed space.

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
My mind never stops!
Last year I designed my Talon under seat cargo boxes and during that time I mocked up a large rear seat box that could be used in place of either or both rear seats for those who make long overlanding trips. That cargo box would be expensive.

Lately I've been thinking about designing a cargo deck that would bolt down in place of both rear seats. The platform would have numerous tie down points so people could use plastic storage totes to transport gear, preferably what their gear is stored in all the time. As for construction I think 1/4" aluminum would be sufficiently strong and light weight. I have nothing on paper yet. It's all in my head! I'd make the deck level, not slanted like a seat bottom.

I could design a smaller cargo deck for the passenger seat in an X/R 2 seat.

Give me some feedback please.

If I could get my hands on a local 4 seater I could laser scan the rear seat area and design from that. Front passenger seat would be the same for 2 or 4 seat Talon.

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
From a safety aspect, if you have to make a sudden stop or roll over, could you reinforce the tie downs/anchors so they are anchored as well as the seats? Maybe steel over aluminum and yes there would be additional weight but again safety over looks.

Reactions: Smitty335
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
My mind never stops!
Last year I designed my Talon under seat cargo boxes and during that time I mocked up a large rear seat box that could be used in place of either or both rear seats for those who make long overlanding trips. That cargo box would be expensive.

Lately I've been thinking about designing a cargo deck that would bolt down in place of both rear seats. The platform would have numerous tie down points so people could use plastic storage totes to transport gear, preferably what their gear is stored in all the time. As for construction I think 1/4" aluminum would be sufficiently strong and light weight. I have nothing on paper yet. It's all in my head! I'd make the deck level, not slanted like a seat bottom.

I could design a smaller cargo deck for the passenger seat in an X/R 2 seat.

Give me some feedback please.

If I could get my hands on a local 4 seater I could laser scan the rear seat area and design from that. Front passenger seat would be the same for 2 or 4 seat Talon.
You know I love it….😎👍

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
From a safety aspect, if you have to make a sudden stop or roll over, could you reinforce the tie downs/anchors so they are anchored as well as the seats? Maybe steel over aluminum and yes there would be additional weight but again safety over looks.
Appreciate the input.
I would anchor to the 8 seat bolts. Aluminum is strong for the weight.
I’ll try to scan my front seat while waiting for intake tube material to arrive. Then I can experiment in cad with shapes size and anchor points.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
The AJK Offroad plate that goes in the rear cargo area for the Milwaukee Packout line is a great product. I think if you could make something similar that has the cutouts for the Packout line to go in where the seats mount it would be pretty popular. It could still be used with other brand boxes/totes as well since it would still be flat. You could actually even use the Packout cutouts as anchor points for your bungees/tiedowns if not using the Milwaukee stuff.

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Appreciate the input.
I would anchor to the 8 seat bolts. Aluminum is strong for the weight.
I’ll try to scan my front seat while waiting for intake tube material to arrive. Then I can experiment in cad with shapes size and anchor points.
Great plan! I think this is a great idea for more storage on the Honda.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
The AJK Offroad plate that goes in the rear cargo area for the Milwaukee Packout line is a great product. I think if you could make something similar that has the cutouts for the Packout line to go in where the seats mount it would be pretty popular. It could still be used with other brand boxes/totes as well since it would still be flat. You could actually even use the Packout cutouts as anchor points for your bungees/tiedowns if not using the Milwaukee stuff.
Picked up a couple Packout boxes yesterday so I could see how they click together. Started a cad model today for a packout base. Next I need to scan my front seat to find out how would will fit in the available space.

Reactions: Adam490
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Picked up a couple Packout boxes yesterday so I could see how they click together. Started a cad model today for a packout base. Next I need to scan my front seat to find out how would will fit in the available space.
Keep weight priority….👍
BTW, I mailed that template in, let me know when you receive it….😎

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
A milwaukee packout base that replaces the passenger seat bottom would be a great idea!!!
I don't think there is enough seat base to attach to compared to the size of the Milwaukee boxes. It would be much more stable to unbolt the 2 seat studs and 2 nuts and use those mounting points.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I don't think there is enough seat base to attach to compared to the size of the Milwaukee boxes. It would be much more stable to unbolt the 2 seat studs and 2 nuts and use those mounting points.
Update:

After further review this evening, I may be able to design a base that will hook into the seat frame similar to the lower cushion, but I will have to bolt down to the two forward seat anchors. That would be very stable.

Today i spent lunch time at work designing a complete seat replacement and for a first run design it looks pretty decent. I think there is some room left for tweaking but overall I'm pleased. There is extra space where the seat back would be so I'm trying to think of what to do with that. And I am orienting the plate so that the packout boxes handle would be toward the front. The reason for that is that if you use the cooler then that can be placed closest to and accessible from the driver seat. Same goes for a version with the seat base in place. The large box will fit across the seat with the handle to the front. I will have to get some new scans of the seat bast without the cushion so get my connection points into cad.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I was able to buy a extra lower seat and trim plastic until I got it flat. Then mounted a board to it and mounted a rigid box to it. Goes in and out the same. It does wobble some but gives me extra storage for overlanding. Something more stable and/or with packout mount would be great.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I was able to buy a extra lower seat and trim plastic until I got it flat. Then mounted a board to it and mounted a rigid box to it. Goes in and out the same. It does wobble some but gives me extra storage for overlanding. Something more stable and/or with packout mount would be great.
You as an overland adventurer are definately my target user.

My concern with only using the lower seat mount is that it's probably not even half the length of a Packout mounting frame. This makes uneven weight distribution with a lot of that weight being cantilevered beyond the supporting structure. By removing the seat completely and using the seat anchors the support locations are outside the packout area and very stable, plus being rigidly bolted down will prevent almost all vibration or shaking of the packout boxes.

Reactions: Vondy
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Very preliminary preview so find out what you guys think. Give me some feedback.
Packout front seat

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
You as an overland adventurer are definately my target user.

My concern with only using the lower seat mount is that it's probably not even half the length of a Packout mounting frame. This makes uneven weight distribution with a lot of that weight being cantilevered beyond the supporting structure. By removing the seat completely and using the seat anchors the support locations are outside the packout area and very stable, plus being rigidly bolted down will prevent almost all vibration or shaking of the packout boxes.
I'm not suggesting using the original seat mount, just throwing out my redneck invention. Works well for my light stuff, Hammock, sleeping bag, underquilt, tarp. I wouldnt want to put a lot of weight in it. A better mount that uses packouts would be great. I might have to leave the old school rigid boxes for some high $$$ packouts. LOL

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I'm not suggesting using the original seat mount, just throwing out my redneck invention. Works well for my light stuff, Hammock, sleeping bag, underquilt, tarp. I wouldnt want to put a lot of weight in it. A better mount that uses packouts would be great. I might have to leave the old school rigid boxes for some high $$$ packouts. LOL
I follow you. I'm just saying that designing this packout mount as a seat cushion replacement is not ideal for stability.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I follow you. I'm just saying that designing this packout mount as a seat cushion replacement is not ideal for stability.
Copy. Count me in for one when you get them made. I prefer one for rear passenger of 4 seater.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Copy. Count me in for one when you get them made. I prefer one for rear passenger of 4 seater.
I have a local person of interest that may allow me to scan and fit a mounting plate using his new 4 seater. Need to meet so he knows I won't destroy his new machine!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have a local person of interest that may allow me to scan and fit a mounting plate using his new 4 seater. Need to meet so he knows I won't destroy his new machine!
I’m interested in one for our overlanding treks depending on final design and weight….👍

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!