Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I don't now how much the machine shop took off, the pistons are not fly cut they did not want to mess with it they just took a little more off then necessary when planing the head they said they did not go out of the safe zone for clearance so that equates to not a lot.

If you need a good replacement head to work on I got one for you for free as long as you post blow by blow details on the results on the forum. :)

I don't have time to mess with my Pioneer it needs to work, I thought last year my life was full and couldn't get any busier boy was I wrong next year I am going to slow down!
If it’s a bad busy then I’m sorry,good busy is acceptable.
“Next year going to slow down”...I’ve said that myself. It’s a habit that’s hard to quit till you’re dead for some of us.

Reactions: GPR1500SC
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I also so would add I have a cam I would donate to the cause if anyone wants to cut the compression reliefs off and see how it starts and if it idles different.

When I was out in CO at there higher elevation it definitely idled better on the extra spark plugs when you unplugged the extra coils the idle got rougher but there was a lot going on, bad port cleaning job, thin air, and head gasket that was leaving.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
If it’s a bad busy then I’m sorry,good busy is acceptable.
“Next year going to slow down”...I’ve said that myself. It’s a habit that’s hard to quit till you’re dead for some of us.

Not a bad busy a lot of good causes just TOO full!

You got it right next year probably wont be much slower, but I will try harder to say no.

My friends joke that if I end up on a electric wheel chair I will be adding extra battery's to make it go faster.

Last edited:
Reactions: CumminsPusher
Poorboy1957

Poorboy1957

Jul 23, 2018
tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Be interesting see how they flow on the flow bench. If they didn’t cc them heads there no way knowing were the compression would be. I’m like you got to much going on or I would take them heads off your hands fix bad ass set heads. I have ported so many of them I just don’t want go back Going have stop reading these threads or going find myself pulling heads off my machine and calling Andrews cut cam.

Reactions: GPR1500SC
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Just wondering if you set the CCC to around 195-200 by decking the heads, fly cut the pistons for value relief, use thinner head gasket up the compression if heads can not be decked enough, tap thoses heads were looks like second spark plug hole with auto compression releases for easy starts. Maybe drop larger intake valve in there with good valve job you just created a torque monster. biggest increase in airflow for the money good valve job blend in ports.

With the African cam, the book shows 181 psi @ 500 rpm. It cranks fine at the 181. Overall the valves, seats and ports are pretty nice being stock. 10:1 stock.

"Wiseco has not built any pistons yet for the 1000. We could do a 4 piece custom build. We would need to get a piston and head sent in here to be able to change compression from stock. A 4 piston build would probably float in the range of $650 - $700 depending on machining features and any coatings. Time frame depending on how fast the new design comes through engineering would be 4-7 week build time."

The problem with the big cam is the torque loss off idle. The DCT pulls the engine down right off idle and there isn't enough torque for the engine to rev under a lot of load and big tires. Acts like its in a fast idle barely pulling even under wide open throttle. If you stab the throttle off idle it will rev but not ideal if your trying to climb a waterfall lol. It is a lot more fun on flat ground though.

There is currently no options for gaskets, cam timing or pistons. A custom piston would probably be the best option. Milling the head will change valve timing so some custom work there to make an adjustable gear and degree the cam. 12:1+ would be a lot better for the African cam to get some bottom end back.

Poorboy1957

Poorboy1957

Jul 23, 2018
tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Be interesting see how they flow on the flow bench. If they didn’t cc them heads there no way knowing were the compression would be. I just believe these heads were setup right 100 hp could be reached. I could take 68 hp Harley get over 100 easy.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Be interesting see how they flow on the flow bench. If they didn’t cc them heads there no way knowing were the compression would be. I just believe these heads were setup right 100 hp could be reached. I could take 68 hp Harley get over 100 easy.
The African Twin is rated at 94hp. The only differences is the cam, valve springs & throttle body spacer. Air box, exhaust, heavier timing chain and extra spark plug also. Mine should be around 100hp with the addition of the powercommander and autotune. I didn't swap the chain or add the extra plug. When the Talon comes out, aftermarket might actually make some parts that will swap out.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I work less than a mile from Wiseco, Know quite a few people that work there, if you want help pursuing this, I can inquire with them.
I thought about it hard. Looks like I might be getting my IGR fixed. If that happens, I should be fine on the bottom end. Mines about as fast as the machine is capable of.

P

Prestonhill863

Jul 10, 2023
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
I know this thread is old but I’m interested in what you guys have done if anything since 2018. Does anyone have a good combination yet to get the power up to 100+ like the talons ??

Reactions: Smitty335
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I know this thread is old but I’m interested in what you guys have done if anything since 2018. Does anyone have a good combination yet to get the power up to 100+ like the talons ??

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Not much the limiting factors are your air box and exhaust.
I have a complete Talon engine including PCM in my Pioneer everything but the exhaust and air box.

The performance gain was the same as my modded Pioneer engine I put the Talon engine in because my Pioneer motor spun a bearing.
My recommendation are.

1 put a good tune in and be happy contact Snuff
2 good tune, and a stock Talon cam and be happy
3 Tune, Talon throttle body, Talon or other cam, muffler, and 2023 Pioneer high range gear in the sub transmission.

The attached photos are the Pioneer vs Talon header the last picture is the Talon exhaust donut slid over the Pioneer header.
I am not aware of anyone making a upgraded Pioneer header.

IMG 20210829 131908146 IMG 20210829 132041583 IMG 20210829 132152555

P

Prestonhill863

Jul 10, 2023
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
Not much the limiting factors are your air box and exhaust.
I have a complete Talon engine including PCM in my Pioneer everything but the exhaust and air box.

The performance gain was the same as my modded Pioneer engine I put the Talon engine in because my Pioneer motor spun a bearing.
My recommendation are.

1 put a good tune in and be happy contact Snuff
2 good tune, and a stock Talon cam and be happy
3 Tune, Talon throttle body, Talon or other cam, muffler, and 2023 Pioneer high range gear in the sub transmission.

The attached photos are the Pioneer vs Talon header the last picture is the Talon exhaust donut slid over the Pioneer header.
I am not aware of anyone making a upgraded Pioneer header.

View attachment 400288 View attachment 400289 View attachment 400290
Thanks for the update! I have a guy local who has modded a full talon stage 5 trinity exhuast on his pioneer with a x pipe configuration. That still doesn’t solve the small exhuast port issue on the pioneer head. I would like to know more about you putting a talon motor in your pioneer im all for that. I have a 2023 6 seater

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Thanks for the update! I have a guy local who has modded a full talon stage 5 trinity exhuast on his pioneer with a x pipe configuration. That still doesn’t solve the small exhuast port issue on the pioneer head. I would like to know more about you putting a talon motor in your pioneer im all for that. I have a 2023 6 seater
For the most part the Talon engine is plug and play, the engine has a extra dowel pin in the case so the Pioneer sub transmission will not bolt up, I removed the dowel pin and put plenty of silicone in the hole and it is working fine the Pioneer never had one anyway,
The other thing is you need to tune your Pioneer PCM and you are good to go, everything else bolt's together.

On Your 23 you already got the gearing and they changed the cam in 22 so I don't know what they done so the cam may not be needed?
I didn't pull the head off the Talon engine and pop the valves out for a deep exam, but from the out side they visually look the same.

With out a bigger head pipe porting and bigger valves is kind of a mute point it will flow more air but never live up to it's full potential.

I didn't list a aluminum throttle body to air cleaner adapter to the list in number 3 list of parts if like spending money for like return 👍

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!