GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
African Twin cam and exhaust valve Springs did not do intake valves Springs as the African Twin uses a heavier cam chain and I used the stock chain I did not want the extra load on it and did not care if the intake valves float every now and then 2 yes 3 yes to much.

Reactions: Westtnpioneer
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
African Twin cam and exhaust valve Springs did not do intake valves Springs as the African Twin uses a heavier cam chain and I used the stock chain I did not want the extra load on it and did not care if the intake valves float every now and then 2 yes 3 yes to much.
Would you like to refrase that? To where a plumber can understand ?

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Looks like I need to order cam, springs, gear, and chain.

Last edited:
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Would you like to refrase that? To where a plumber can understand ?

The more aggressive the cam gets the faster the rate of change, the lobes get more square shaped so to keep the lifters, in this case the rocker arm's from floating you need higher spring rates to keep them planted on the cam.

I do not know what the valve to piston clearance is, if the intake valve floats off the cam profile at high rpms and hangs open to long no real harm done if the exhaust valve hangs open to long with the piston chasing it closed there could be some clearance issues?

A square cam and high spring rates turns harder then a smooth round lobe with soft Springs hence the heavier cam chain.

Honda puts the same spring rate on all the valves I only replaced the exhaust valve Springs to make shure there no clearance issues at high rpms and left the softer springs on the intake valves to reduce the cam chain load .

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The more aggressive the cam gets the faster the rate of change, the lobes get more square shaped so to keep the lifters, in this case the rocker arm's from floating you need higher spring rates to keep them planted on the cam.

I do not know what the valve to piston clearance is, if the intake valve floats off the cam profile at high rpms and hangs open to long no real harm done if the exhaust valve hangs open to long with the piston chasing it closed there could be some clearance issues?

A square cam and high spring rates turns harder then a smooth round lobe with soft Springs hence the heavier cam chain.

Honda puts the same spring rate on all the valves I only replaced the exhaust valve Springs to make shure there no clearance issues at high rpms and left the softer springs on the intake valves to reduce the cam chain load .
Where you lucky enough not to have to reshim?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ok, now I understand Twin chain, minus Twin intake springs, equals stock chain.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Probably not.

But drinking the Honda kool-aid I figured the stock chain was over engineered anyway and could stand the extra load.
My motor I get to break it. LOL
You going to keep an eye on the timing? Uh hu?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Probably not.

But drinking the Honda kool-aid I figured the stock chain was over engineered anyway and could stand the extra load.
My motor I get to break it. LOL
Like the clutches? HA!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I haven't had the time to even look at mine. New job and started back in school. I'm not really sure it's parked in the shop still lol I should probably check since the Take over is in another week.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
This post surfaced again so I thought I would give it a quick update, my polish job must have been too aggressive as it would never idle properly after I done it so it got replaced with a brand new stock head and it fixed my idle problem and the butt couldn't tell any loss on top end so I am pretty happy with it right now except for there flimsy tie rods that fold as soon as you go off roading I sleeved the bent one and got steel tubing to do the other one.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A Cummins with plugs..... Do you run jet fuel in it?

They make em, I change the plugs in them all the time 8edc5d2a40bb8f8c473ec078af8f849a
That’s what they look like going in
Fe7bf90d32f4def364bcb741ab3992f7
This is what they look like coming out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O

oldgasser

Feb 26, 2017
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They make em, I change the plugs in them all the timeView attachment 81320
That’s what they look like going in
View attachment 81321
This is what they look like coming out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just looked at the plugs on Amazon. Pricey little devils. Is this a CNG engine? That would explain why it uses spark plugs. I tend to get a little riled when they over engineer things and charge 4 times what they are worth. This looks suspiciously like that.

Poorboy1957

Poorboy1957

Jul 23, 2018
tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just wondering if you set the CCC to around 195-200 by decking the heads, fly cut the pistons for value relief, use thinner head gasket up the compression if heads can not be decked enough, tap thoses heads were looks like second spark plug hole with auto compression releases for easy starts. Maybe drop larger intake valve in there with good valve job you just created a torque monster. biggest increase in airflow for the money good valve job blend in ports.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I don't now how much the machine shop took off, the pistons are not fly cut they did not want to mess with it they just took a little more off then necessary when planing the head they said they did not go out of the safe zone for clearance so that equates to not a lot.

If you need a good replacement head to work on I got one for you for free as long as you post blow by blow details on the results on the forum. :)

I don't have time to mess with my Pioneer it needs to work, I thought last year my life was full and couldn't get any busier boy was I wrong next year I am going to slow down!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!