Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Are you really going to do it??

No

Maybe if someone egged me on enough you never now. :D

Let see now 2 new coil assembly's and some machine work.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
IMO I don't think you would feel any difference by adding the extra plug. More than likely there to help emissions. But you never know, put it on a chassis dyno before and after to see what it does, btw record the afr's on both pulls too.

Reactions: GPR1500SC
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
The rough work done on one cylinder.

IMG 0502

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
The rough work done on one cylinder.

View attachment 32383
Awesome. Do you have any more photos of the stock ports? Have u thought about ordering a African Twin cam and see if there's a difference? While you got it apart can you measure the base circle and lift of the cam on intake and exhaust?

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Awesome. Do you have any more photos of the stock ports? Have u thought about ordering a African Twin cam and see if there's a difference? While you got it apart can you measure the base circle and lift of the cam on intake and exhaust?

Yes I have thought about the African Twin cam but I am not going to pursue it simple because all cams have a sweet spot and I suspect the African Twin being a bike cam is going to be in the higher RPM range and I don't want to sacrifice any torque I am a little worried already that my exhaust porting might be hard on my torque numbers.
I am on the road so it will probably Wednesday be for I get you the lift numbers

0202172055 0202172056

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes I have thought about the African Twin cam but I am not going to pursue it simple because all cams have a sweet spot and I suspect the African Twin being a bike cam is going to be in the higher RPM range and I don't want to sacrifice any torque I am a little worried already that my exhaust porting might be hard on my torque numbers.
I am on the road so it will probably Wednesday be for I get you the lift numbers

Another thing is the Africa Twin is very light compared to our machines, so I'd be willing to guess the cam profile is way different and probably wouldn't work well in the p1k. If I were doing the head on my rig I'd probably just clean up the casting, make sure the intakes were port matched and smooth the bowls. Pretty much try to pick up the mid lift numbers and not worry about max flow at higher lift.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
One thing that doesn't make sense with the african twin's the redline is 8k just like the pioneer. Usually with more duration on the cam, it moves the peak hp up in the rpm range.

Reactions: pct
1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
One thing that doesn't make sense with the african twin's the redline is 8k just like the pioneer. Usually with more duration on the cam, it moves the peak hp up in the rpm range.

Do you have the specs on the cams?

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Another thing is the Africa Twin is very light compared to our machines, so I'd be willing to guess the cam profile is way different and probably wouldn't work well in the p1k. If I were doing the head on my rig I'd probably just clean up the casting, make sure the intakes were port matched and smooth the bowls. Pretty much try to pick up the mid lift numbers and not worry about max flow at higher lift.

All I intended to do when I started was to clean up the casting. LOL
BUT there was this little lip by the exhaust seat that looked restrictive and before I new it, it was GONE!:D
If you look real close at the first up right picture of the four ports you can see the lip on the exhaust port I am talking about I don't know if Honda put it there for a purpose or they where just sloppy other then that lip the ports look like they would flow good.

Reactions: pct
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
All I intended to do when I started was to clean up the casting. LOL
BUT there was this little lip by the exhaust seat that looked restrictive and before I new it, it was GONE!:D
If you look real close at the first up right picture of the four ports you can see the lip on the exhaust port I am talking about I don't know if Honda put it there for a purpose or they where just sloppy other then that lip the ports look like they would flow good.
That's pretty common with an as cast port. The casting will be a little smaller and they machine for the valve seat. No problem blending that.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

View attachment 32384 View attachment 32385
Wonder whats causing the different colors on the exhaust ports? Is one running hotter?

Reactions: pct and GPR1500SC
Nic

Nic

Dec 9, 2016
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The only vehicles i have ever had to deal with that used 2 plugs per hole was a late 80s nissan pickup and an early 90s 4cylinder in a fast back stang. Both were junk imo

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

I had a nissan pickup that went 542,000 on that 4cyl engine. It finally cracked a piston. Had another one that went 393,000. Neither of them had any work done to them other than clutches and transmissions. That Nissan 4cyl was in my opinion one of the best engines Nissan ever made.

Reactions: popeye
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Yep, why?

I bought it as a flood victim original owner did not dry it out and the motor sat full of water until I got it, it stuck a intake valve and the piston closed it tweaking it just enough it would not seal leaking compression back into the intake having never rode a Pioneer 1000 besides a dealer demo unit I used it for a while before doing a compression check and finding the rear cylinder down five pounds.
else I would have never pulled the head off just to polish the ports and put extra spark plugs in, but once it is off I could not help but do it.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV

I finally got around to getting these numbers posted
Intake base circle 32.14 lifted 39.47
Exhaust base circle 35.28 lifted 40.09

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!