GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Its progressing ever so slowly the head and even the timing chain is different in the African twin.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
It 1:00 AM and everyone in are house know the Pioneer runs again!
I am excited to get this thing buttoned up and go for a test drive it sounds different when it starts and is real responsive when you gas on it I have a long day tomorrow so I must get some sleep I will try to get a real report Saturday.

J

JTW

It 1:00 AM and everyone in are house know the Pioneer runs again!
I am excited to get this thing buttoned up and go for a test drive it sounds different when it starts and is real responsive when you gas on it I have a long day tomorrow so I must get some sleep I will try to get a real report Saturday.
Yaaaay!!!

Reactions: nbomar
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The stock cam right?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

I believe he is putting the African Twin cam in intentionally as well as other components needed. This is in hopes there is a boost in HP!

Reactions: GPR1500SC
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I believe he is putting the African Twin cam in intentionally as well as other components needed. This is in hopes there is a boost in HP!

Joey is right as usual.
The African cam is installed and it will with out doubt make more horse Power, the question is how much low end torque will it give up for the increased horse power?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Joey is right as usual.
The African cam is installed and it will with out doubt make more horse Power, the question is how much low end torque will it give up for the increased horse power?

I wouldn't say as usual, just ask my wife!

I'm so glad you're doing this. I'm so anxious to hear the results. I bet low end won't suffer bad at all. It only takes half a second to be up in the REVs anyway. Keep us posted and thank you for sharing.

Did you need to change the head?

Reactions: JTW and GPR1500SC
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I wouldn't say as usual, just ask my wife!

Different subject! LOL

I'm so glad you're doing this. I'm so anxious to hear the results. I bet low end won't suffer bad at all. It only takes half a second to be up in the REVs anyway. Keep us posted and thank you for sharing.

I think and hope you are correct.

Did you need to change the head?

No I am using my original one

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
No I am using my original one

That's good to know. Do you have to modify it?

Also if the chain is different, did you need to get a new one?

Reactions: pct
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
That's good to know. Do you have to modify it?

Also if the chain is different, did you need to get a new one?

No modification necessary to your stock head.
The cam chain is wider on the African twin so I used the stock cam gear and chain the spring rate is 100 pounds stock and 120 pounds on the African (Thanks Snuff)
I bought a African Twin head gasket as well as a stock one to see if it was thicker as they run 181 PSI compression ratio compared to the Pioneers 132 pounds they where the same except the oil feed orifices where at a different location and the cooling holes where bigger and at different locations.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
When are you going to get to drive it?

Reactions: pct
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
No modification necessary to your stock head.
The cam chain is wider on the African twin so I used the stock cam gear and chain the spring rate is 100 pounds stock and 120 pounds on the African (Thanks Snuff)
I bought a African Twin head gasket as well as a stock one to see if it was thicker as they run 181 PSI compression ratio compared to the Pioneers 132 pounds they where the same except the oil feed orifices where at a different location and the cooling holes where bigger and at different locations.
Same engine? Doesn't sound like it.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
The verdict is? I LOVE IT !!!!!!!

I did not notice any loss of low end but after three thousand RPM's it comes alive sport mode now makes a big difference as it keeps your rpm's up where its always in the sweet spot.
The power band builds power smoothly from bottom to the top but you can tell between about 2,500 to 3,000 it starts getting into its happy place hopefully some time next week I will get ride with another Pioneer that use to kick my butt so I can post some real time gains not just using my butt meter to gauge improvements.
Also I will get some time to auto tune the power commander I was running with out it and it ran just fine.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The verdict is? I LOVE IT !!!!!!!

I did not notice any loss of low end but after three thousand RPM's it comes alive sport mode now makes a big difference as it keeps your rpm's up where its always in the sweet spot.
The power band builds power smoothly from bottom to the top but you can tell between about 2,500 to 3,000 it starts getting into its happy place hopefully some time next week I will get ride with another Pioneer that use to kick my butt so I can post some real time gains not just using my butt meter to gauge improvements.
Also I will get some time to auto tune the power commander I was running with out it and it ran just fine.

Sounds great! I can't wait to hear more results.

Reactions: pct and nbomar
W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Are there any updates to this thread?

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Not to speak of.
I have brand new head at the machine shop waiting to get drilled and tapped for the secound set of spark plugs.
The original head I took too much material off when I was cleaning up the ports, it never would idle smooth after that.
When we where in Colorado at higher elevation with the crappie port job when I disconnected the second set of spark plugs the throttle responds was noticeably more sluggish on a properly idling machine I doubt you would see much if any improvement.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Not to speak of.
I have brand new head at the machine shop waiting to get drilled and tapped for the secound set of spark plugs.
The original head I took too much material off when I was cleaning up the ports, it never would idle smooth after that.
When we where in Colorado at higher elevation with the crappie port job when I disconnected the second set of spark plugs the throttle responds was noticeably more sluggish on a properly idling machine I doubt you would see much if any improvement.
I just want to clarify what you have done:
1. Africa twin cams and springs
2. milled tb adapter
3. Ported head

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!