drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The Polaris still shifts hard and that's due to the higher "idle" RPM range. It's controlled by the computer and can't be changed. That higher RPM puts a strain on a single part inside the transmission that I've seen break several times, (once on my Polaris and on others that I've ridden with), and because the disassembly and re assembly it will cost $1200 to $1500 depending on who you have perform the work. Polaris knows of this problem and haven't changed it yet.. I drove a 570 a few weeks ago and it was exactly the same as my RZR and Sportsman that I owned. There are plus and minus to both machines but I'm back to Honda now and don't have any plans on changing.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I find this discussion very interesting, but at the end of the day we have to compare apples to apples and that is not what is happening here. So to be politically correct we shouldnt be comparing the RZR 1000 to the P1K, we should be comparing the General to the P1K. Also, as far as capabilities of each machine, i would say that it depends a lot on the person behind the wheel. All machines have their limitations, but when i think about capable, i like to think in terms of dependability when i think of being capable.:)

Last edited:
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought my Polaris RZR 1000 from Abernathy's a year ago, and it was a pleasant transaction. I would definitely recommend them, but my local dealer matched their price somehow this time so I was able to avoid that 10 hour round trip this time.

However, Polaris is just the big dog. They are the most innovative by far, rather us Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki/Can Am etc guys like it or not. They set the standard on performance. However, I was always worried my RZR would let me down back 40 miles in the woods, and almost babied it at times.

I don't do that with the Honda because I am not worried about breaking it. That alone was worth the switch for me.

Reactions: swsebek and drfubar
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I find this discussion very interesting, but at the end of the day we have to compare apples to apples and that is not what is happening here. So to be politically correct we shouldnt be comparing the RZR 1000 to the P1K, we should be comparing the General to the P1K. Also, as far as capabilities of each machine, i would say that it depends a lot on the person behind the wheel. All machines have their limitations, but when i think about capable, i like to think in terms of dependability when i think of being capable.:)

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They tried not to show favorites towards polaris, but the numbers don't lie the pioneer wins!

Reactions: Eltobgi and drfubar
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
They tried not to show favorites towards polaris, but the numbers don't lie the pioneer wins!
That mag is sitting in my bathroom...I mean office. I thought they favored the Polaris in the shootout even though they never come right out and say it. I don't put much stock in magazine shootouts, it's not like they will trash one of their advertisers. Except motocross action, they always called crap crap and gold gold

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I had an enlightening discussion with a friend of mine here at work. He is a big time Polaris fan and he was on vacation last week and stopped by my office to find out what SXS I had bought. I told him I still didn't have one yet but that I was leaning towards the Pioneer 1000. He just shook his head and told me that I was being stupid. (He doesn't have a great bedside manner ;))

He asked, how much horsepower and how fast will it go? I told him 66 was the top speed and 70 some odd HP. He said that was stupid, the Polaris had way more HP and a much higher top speed. I told him I didn't even want to go 66 MPH much less whatever number it was that he mentioned. He said that there was no way he would buy a new design like the Honda because there would be too many problems with it and besides Honda was too far behind the game. He said that he never had any problems out of his Polaris and couldn't understand why I was so insistent on Honda.

I asked him what he would suggest and he said a Polaris Ranger. I told him that I didn't like the lack of compression braking on the Rangers and some other design things I didn't like about them. I told him there were a couple of design things about the Honda that I didn't like and they were a first year unit but there didn't seem to be that many issues floating around online that weren't being covered by the warranty. I also told him that I was probably going to get the extended warranty just in case.

Then he proceeded to tell me that I absolutely should get the extended warranty and told me about how he paid $1,200 for the extended warranty on his Polaris and how it paid for itself when the front differential leaked all the fluid out of it in less than 4 months and had to be replaced and how Polaris didn't want to replace it under warranty because they said he should have been checking it and how it was in the shop for 6 weeks while they were fixing it and how they finally covered it. The he said it also covered two or three fuel pumps and a couple of other items that I couldn't keep up with that he had replaced.

Remember, he said that he never had any problems out of it....:confused:

I actually bought my Rincon 2 years or so before he bought his Polaris. All I ever had done to it was flush the rear brake lines because I had condensation. Never did anything else to it.

Apparently his and my ideas of "never had any problems" are completely different.o_O

That may possibly be the same feelings of other people.

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had an enlightening discussion with a friend of mine here at work. He is a big time Polaris fan and he was on vacation last week and stopped by my office to find out what SXS I had bought. I told him I still didn't have one yet but that I was leaning towards the Pioneer 1000. He just shook his head and told me that I was being stupid. (He doesn't have a great bedside manner ;))

He asked, how much horsepower and how fast will it go? I told him 66 was the top speed and 70 some odd HP. He said that was stupid, the Polaris had way more HP and a much higher top speed. I told him I didn't even want to go 66 MPH much less whatever number it was that he mentioned. He said that there was no way he would buy a new design like the Honda because there would be too many problems with it and besides Honda was too far behind the game. He said that he never had any problems out of his Polaris and couldn't understand why I was so insistent on Honda.

I asked him what he would suggest and he said a Polaris Ranger. I told him that I didn't like the lack of compression braking on the Rangers and some other design things I didn't like about them. I told him there were a couple of design things about the Honda that I didn't like and they were a first year unit but there didn't seem to be that many issues floating around online that weren't being covered by the warranty. I also told him that I was probably going to get the extended warranty just in case.

Then he proceeded to tell me that I absolutely should get the extended warranty and told me about how he paid $1,200 for the extended warranty on his Polaris and how it paid for itself when the front differential leaked all the fluid out of it in less than 4 months and had to be replaced and how Polaris didn't want to replace it under warranty because they said he should have been checking it and how it was in the shop for 6 weeks while they were fixing it and how they finally covered it. The he said it also covered two or three fuel pumps and a couple of other items that I couldn't keep up with that he had replaced.

Remember, he said that he never had any problems out of it....:confused:

I actually bought my Rincon 2 years or so before he bought his Polaris. All I ever had done to it was flush the rear brake lines because I had condensation. Never did anything else to it.

Apparently his and my ideas of "never had any problems" are completely different.o_O

That may possibly be the same feelings of other people.
I've been there where HP was the drug of choice. It was fun to sling mud but I'm pretty sure the Pioneer can sling too. The Honda is priced right and it's dependable. I'm more into dependable now!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eltobgi

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!