AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fully agree that lower gearing was needed. I'd put money the part numbers will line up on the 17. If there is any changes it'll be internally done to change pressures or better tolerances on the seats during manufacturing. At least in my opinion. We'll see I guess.
For the record I haven't done changes to the drivetrain to effectively change the drive ratios and have driven the machine hard and easy and still having issues. Again my red one was great the white one not so much! Same driver same terrain same "roughness" different results. I've had both machines and know the difference. It's not the clutches.
I don't want to go back to clutches however I'd like my Pioneer to be as dependable as my last one, I miss that. I love my rig just wish I didn't have to concern myself with issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reliability is what concerns me. When the trailhead is 100s of miles from civilization and I'm 40 miles back on the trail, with some very large, steep climbs between me and my truck, I need to have the confidence that my machine will make it out.

J

JTW

As I've said before, I'm going to drive it the way I want to. As others have said, you shouldn't need to give a 30 minute lesson to someone if you let them drive your machine. If mine burn up you can bet your @$$ it's going into the shop and Honda is going to hear about it. The more I hear about this, the more the words "class action" come to mind.
Agreed!

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
All I've been saying for the last 5 months is people rag on belts, and while I bought this because I thought it was a strength not having the belt, I've never had to change one. Our Vikings engine blew up after 1300 miles, origional belt.

My rig just got new clutches. 340 miles.

I said it was a problem and certain members on this forum attacked me over it. I'm glad they are Finally coming to their senses. This Absolutely is a problem. A belt drive system would never be this weak.

And my ass this machine wasn't designed to go into mud. This is an Offroad rig. Turns out there's mud Offroad. If it wasn't designed for that, it wasn't designed for anything. I haven't sold it yet, as I just got it back from the shop about two weeks ago. But if anyone remembers me, I've had my rig in the shop FAR longer than out of it. It's getting old fast.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As I've said before, I'm going to drive it the way I want to. As others have said, you shouldn't need to give a 30 minute lesson to someone if you let them drive your machine. If mine burn up you can bet your @$$ it's going into the shop and Honda is going to hear about it. The more I hear about this, the more the words "class action" come to mind.
If you look at that thread about a clutch going out at 400 miles or something like that, I have a post almost word for word what you just said. I specifically said "the phrase "class action" comes to mind" lol. Great minds think alike. I drove mine to work today and it's sitting at 1395 miles and still no clutch problems. Hopefully my "gun it and go" driving tactic is thwarting the clutch problem.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
come on guys... everyone knows there can't be a design problem with this Honda clutch system... just a very limited number of failures... all with huge tires or drivers that don't know what they're doing...
but seriously, all trolling aside, I hope @JACKAL will share his thinking/knowledge on why the 2017 clutches will be more reliable... and whether the improvements on the 17 will work on the 16...

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
All I've been saying for the last 5 months is people rag on belts, and while I bought this because I thought it was a strength not having the belt, I've never had to change one. Our Vikings engine blew up after 1300 miles, origional belt.

My rig just got new clutches. 340 miles.

I said it was a problem and certain members on this forum attacked me over it. I'm glad they are Finally coming to their senses. This Absolutely is a problem. A belt drive system would never be this weak.

And my ass this machine wasn't designed to go into mud. This is an Offroad rig. Turns out there's mud Offroad. If it wasn't designed for that, it wasn't designed for anything. I haven't sold it yet, as I just got it back from the shop about two weeks ago. But if anyone remembers me, I've had my rig in the shop FAR longer than out of it. It's getting old fast.
I say this after encountering my first clutch issue after a season of going everywhere I wanted and being the first guy in the mud and the last one out...the CVT system belt failure isn't the only cost! I've seen damage on the inner primary sheave of machines as new as 2016. The guy just ignored it and has had belt problems continuously! On my Popo I replaced my Primary and secondary clutchs due to damage and had bent shafts in the transmission and had to replace many other transmission parts! So I can not defend a belt drive system, just like we can't defend the DCT Transmission in the 2016 PK1!
I've made my payments on my p1000 with money saved from fixing my old!
I'm not happy about replacing clutches, but it's not a deal breaker for me either!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda doesn't have the best record when it comes to hydraulic actuated equipment but I figured they had it figured out by now. Anyone remember the hydraulic cam chain tensioner on the cbr1000f hurricane?

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
If you look at that thread about a clutch going out at 400 miles or something like that, I have a post almost word for word what you just said. I specifically said "the phrase "class action" comes to mind" lol. Great minds think alike. I drove mine to work today and it's sitting at 1395 miles and still no clutch problems. Hopefully my "gun it and go" driving tactic is thwarting the clutch problem.
"Gun It & Go" or "Drive it Like You Stole It" approaches to the DCT are effective! There is no denying that! But...@Delton you also Rock Climb and don't always use the technique when doing so...your thoughtso_O

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
"Gun It & Go" or "Drive it Like You Stole It" approaches to the DCT are effective! There is no denying that! But...@Delton you also Rock Climb and don't always use the technique when doing so...your thoughtso_O
True. Not alot can be done about the rock climbing. Alot of that requires finesse. Guess I'll just keep taking my chances with the clutch holding up. I didn't pay that much money to own a trailer Queen or backwoods cruiser.

advertisement
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
True. Not alot can be done about the rock climbing. Alot of that requires finesse. Guess I'll just keep taking my chances with the clutch holding up. I didn't pay that much money to own a trailer Queen or backwoods cruiser.
@Delton you know there is a video of you online shining up your rig with.......I think what looks like Baby Oilo_O lol

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I say this after encountering my first clutch issue after a season of going everywhere I wanted and being the first guy in the mud and the last one out...the CVT system belt failure isn't the only cost! I've seen damage on the inner primary sheave of machines as new as 2016. The guy just ignored it and has had belt problems continuously! On my Popo I replaced my Primary and secondary clutchs due to damage and had bent shafts in the transmission and had to replace many other transmission parts! So I can not defend a belt drive system, just like we can't defend the DCT Transmission in the 2016 PK1!
I've made my payments on my p1000 with money saved from fixing my old!
I'm not happy about replacing clutches, but it's not a deal breaker for me either!
I may seem down on the clutches because I am just a bit but I've had a couple different rigs and will agree with what you just said. At least for me it's down to that one issue. Hopefully I can figure it out.

Reactions: sharp and AKRider
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Y'all should drive @joeymt33 's dad's p1k. That clutch is smooth as silk. It's hard to find 2 machines that drive alike, which is kinda alarming. Probably explains why some are having trouble and some are not.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Y'all should drive @joeymt33 's dad's p1k. That clutch is smooth as silk. It's hard to find 2 machines that drive alike, which is kinda alarming. Probably explains why some are having trouble and some are not.
That's all I'm saying. The thought mines fine so you're driving yours wrong is upsetting to me. That's not it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So the 64.00 question is what's different between machines??

Well I guess some have different clamping forces then others. I think some even though not having problems now will still see premature failure, 2 years as opposed to 10 type of thing but that's just what I believe.
You know as well as I do it's very hard to control fluid at those exact pressures consistently. I'm sure there's an answer but not sure myself like you I just know the question

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I guess some have different clamping forces then others. I think some even though not having problems now will still see premature failure, 2 years as opposed to 10 type of thing but that's just what I believe.
You know as well as I do it's very hard to control fluid at those exact pressures consistently. I'm sure there's an answer but not sure myself like you I just know the question

I agree no way to consistently have same clamping force using oil pressure.

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
Honda dealer told me if clutch goes out they will replace it and you get a free oil change to boot. What a deal, so I think I will hang onto my 700. Even looked at a mule fx as reliability is key to me. Not a hiccup out of 3 years of ownership with the 700. I would think they would fix the problem for the 17s.

Reactions: AKRider and tjoreo
advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!