Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Just seen where a guy who installed the internal gear reductions just burnt his clutch up again.

Screenshot 20170115 095129

Not sure how big of tires he is running but I just don't believe these machines were made for extreme mudding that some people use them for. Especially with 30"+ tall tires.

I have only run the 28" x10" x 14" and have went through 2 clutches, a right rear axle and a left front axle. I don't even get into mud unless absolutely necessary. My point being, I wouldn't recommend throwing a ton of $$$ I to the P1K and expect it to do something it wasn't designed for with tires 30%+ bigger than OEM. It just isn't going to hold up, these machines weigh so much more than an ATV the stresses put on the drive train is going to let something give up the ghost.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just seen where a guy who installed the internal gear reductions just burnt his clutch up again.

View attachment 31017

Not sure how big of tires he is running but I just don't believe these machines were made for extreme mudding that some people use them for. Especially with 30"+ tall tires.

I have only run the 28" x10" x 14" and have went through 2 clutches, a right rear axle and a left front axle. I don't even get into mud unless absolutely necessary. My point being, I wouldn't recommend throwing a ton of $$$ I to the P1K and expect it to do something it wasn't designed for with tires 30%+ bigger than OEM. It just isn't going to hold up, these machines weigh so much more than an ATV the stresses put on the drive train is going to let something give up the ghost.
man... 2 clutches AND 2 axles... it's a good thing you don't do anything "too extreme"... no telling what would break!lol :rolleyes:

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I seen that post as well. He runs 32s or 34s. I don't plan on running anything bigger than what I have now. The fact that you've suffered similar damage with smaller tires suggests to me there's a reliability problem. From a company known for reliability.

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
Hate to hear that about his clutches. But if I was not happy with the PK1000 I would go with the 700 not a 500. Why go from the largest to the smallest? JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hate to hear that about his clutches. But if I was not happy with the PK1000 I would go with the 700 not a 500. Why go from the largest to the smallest? JMO

Excellent question. Sorry to say but if I ever give up on the p1k, I'll have to consider swapping brands. Not gonna give up that power now that I've gotten used to it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I seen that post as well. He runs 32s or 34s. I don't plan on running anything bigger than what I have now. The fact that you've suffered similar damage with smaller tires suggests to me there's a reliability problem. From a company known for reliability.
Imo something needs to be done.if you can't ride in mud then you shouldn't be plowing either and it's a utility vehicle it should at least plow. Again reguadless of how someone is riding or the conditions set forth it shouldn't have any problems for awhile it's a Honda none of the others do. You should be able to get in and run through the gears without a worry but that's my opinion

Last edited:
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Imo something needs to be done.if you can't ride in mud then you shouldn't be plowing either and it's a utility vehicle it should at least plow.
I plow with mine. No problem. Yet. That crazy mud riding will kill anything. Especially the peanut butter mud. And of course they are all trying to outdo each other.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I plow with mine. No problem. Yet. That crazy mud riding will kill anything. Especially the peanut butter mud. And of course they are all trying to outdo each other.

That is true but the mud is a very small percentage of what's been taking the clutches out.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is true but the mud is a very small percentage of what's been taking the clutches out.

I was just thinking about your machine. You've went through a couple of sets of clutches and you don't do a lot of mud play, right?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
man... 2 clutches AND 2 axles... it's a good thing you don't do anything "too extreme"... no telling what would break!lol :rolleyes:

The first clutch repair I have no idea what actually did it at 160 miles. The second was after 1000 miles and near the end 10 hrs of a 12 hr ride in Tackett Creek which also got the front axle.

I've learned my lesson figuring this machine out. I'm going to a 2017 1000-5 in Blue for the family and swapping my P500 for a 2017 1000-3 LE for my trail riding. Not doing any lifts, maybe go to true 27 x9 Roctane XD on front and 27x11 Roctane XD on rears. I almost never drag as it is losing 2" of ground clearance won't be that much different.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
He was a little zealous pushing the igr and precision products but seemed like a good dude. Hopefully he wasn't abandoning ship lol.

If people drive them the same way as prior then it's got to help some

Reactions: AKRider
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Imo something needs to be done.if you can't ride in mud then you shouldn't be plowing either and it's a utility vehicle it should at least plow. Again reguadless of how someone is riding or the conditions set forth it shouldn't have any problems for awhile it's a Honda none of the others do. You should be able to get in and run through the gears without a worry but that's my opinion
Total agreement. Letting someone drive your rig shouldn't include a 30 minute tutorial on what to do or not do. It should be jump in and go. I love my 1000 and don't see myself abandoning it any time soon. But I'm very disappointed in what's been happening to so many machines out there. Doesn't matter if it's "designed" for it or not. My Neon motor sure wasn't made for a turbo either but it ran over 70k miles at 15# of boost.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think non aggressive tires helps the clutch. Yesterday running through the snow. It's obvious compare to my buddies wildcat with his ripsaws. When the going got tough my tensor regulators would spin but zero hopping or chatter just cuts like a pizza cutter. Where the ripsaws bounced and hopped alot. That's got to be hard on the clutch. At least it's something to consider when purchasing future tires. Get them spinning a little gets the clutch fully engaged. Also. I've not been stuck yet with "street/desert" tires. And I've tried.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The first clutch repair I have no idea what actually did it at 160 miles. The second was after 1000 miles and near the end 10 hrs of a 12 hr ride in Tackett Creek which also got the front axle.

I've learned my lesson figuring this machine out. I'm going to a 2017 1000-5 in Blue for the family and swapping my P500 for a 2017 1000-3 LE for my trail riding. Not doing any lifts, maybe go to true 27 x9 Roctane XD on front and 27x11 Roctane XD on rears. I almost never drag as it is losing 2" of ground clearance won't be that much different.
Are you expecting the 2017 clutches to be more reliable?

Reactions: Windrock1000
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!