Is it unreasonable to ask for a loaner rig when your new machine is in the shop for warranty work?

J

JTW

The first day they tried saying it could have been something I had done. I quickly told them that it had never worked. I even brought it in for them to diagnose before I had added anything and they said they didn't have right plug for my machine.
Well thats bulls***... this is why i tell people not to bother with an extended warranty. It’s all about your dealer and how good they are. Being as your in Cali, I’m not surprised yours sucks.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I wouldn't say they suck, they just mentioned that i could have knocked a connection loose or something. They have actually been pretty good, not really their fault the machine had unforseen issues from the factory.

Yes I'm in CA, no where near any big city. The dealer is in a farm town. They mostly have done bikes and quads for years, and just recently got into the sxs's. Not everyone in CA lives in San Francisco or LA.

J

JTW

I wouldn't say they suck, they just mentioned that i could have knocked a connection loose or something. They have actually been pretty good, not really their fault the machine had unforseen issues from the factory.

Yes I'm in CA, no where near any big city. The dealer is in a farm town. They mostly have done bikes and quads for years, and just recently got into the sxs's. Not everyone in CA lives in San Francisco or LA.
But you live in a place where those cities control the rest of the state.. kinda like Illinois. So fully expect to be ridden like a San Francisco homo!

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Not working from the start is why id ask for a swap. Hondas are in general are good but usually when you have problems from the start like that 90% of the time youll be fighting a downhill battle

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Had a buddy do this a few yrs back he got 700-4. And it would top out at 20. Before the seatbelt limiter was a thing. They worked on it for 2 weeks he went complaining and said he wants his machine to work right by next week or a new machine. Ended up being a faulty ecu flash. But he walked out with a new machine the next week. Took them 6 weeks before they found out what was wrong. His bike had 200 miles on it.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Had a buddy do this a few yrs back he got 700-4. And it would top out at 20. Before the seatbelt limiter was a thing. They worked on it for 2 weeks he went complaining and said he wants his machine to work right by next week or a new machine. Ended up being a faulty ecu flash. But he walked out with a new machine the next week. Took them 6 weeks before they found out what was wrong. His bike had 200 miles on it.

I'll give them a little more time before I ask for a new machine. The problem is, I have a bunch of my own time installing all the s*** I added, really don't want to do all that again. But, I want a properly working machine. Definitely not waiting 6 weeks.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Not working from the start is why id ask for a swap.

Hondas are in general are good but usually when you have problems from the start like that 90% of the time youll be fighting a downhill battle

Totally agree with that!!!

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I got my Talon on the 27th, had it for 3 weekends and the dealer had it last weekend and has no idea when they will be done with it. So for sure this week end and I'm betting next weekend. Which, at that time, will be half of the time I've owned it.

Of course, I don't "need" it to get to work or anything,l like if my truck were at the dealer. But I didn't spend almost $40k on this machine (with tax and accessories) to miss out on trip after trip.

This is my first experience with a new powersport machine, so I'm curious, Would it be unreasonable to ask for a loaner rig?
:eek: :confused: $40k !!! o_O they should've gave u a pioneer as a back up ride for that kinda $$$.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Be patient, it's not the dealers fault and if he is truly doing his best to get it right then give them the time. A loaner comes out of the pocket and Honda will not reimburse him. You have been without your Talon up till now for a few more days won't hurt but I do feel you need to want to take it out.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
:eek: :confused: $40k !!! o_O they should've gave u a pioneer as a back up ride for that kinda $$$.

I'd bet if you guys actually sat down and added all the money you had into yours, you'd be sick. I just did it all at once. Lol

Be patient, it's not the dealers fault and if he is truly doing his best to get it right then give them the time. A loaner comes out of the pocket and Honda will not reimburse him. You have been without your Talon up till now for a few more days won't hurt but I do feel you need to want to take it out.

I am trying to be patient, I'm not mad at the dealer. However, as mentioned, I have spent a ton of money with them, everything but the winches, battery and heater was purchased through them. Like I said, by the time it's fixed, they will have had it as long or longer than me.

Reactions: Plumber32
HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do feel your pain and I probably would have stroked out by now personally.

There is no lemon law on recreational vehicles or motorcycles in your state last I checked :(
Go to your state attorney generals website to check.
Dealers aren't obligated by law in California to replace or give loaners (although I think it's good business practice), they have to do their due diligence for Honda which can take a bit as the factory will have them doing all kinds of diagnostics.

Did you have this same dealer install all of the add-on's? They are way more obligated if you did.

You might have a much better chance calling Honda direct...although I can tell you they're going to back pedal a bunch before you get anywhere, get the phone number for the local zone manager call them everyday multiple times a day. I have a friend with very deep pockets (more money than sense) who has sued several manufactures & dealers for things like the over heating issue, he ultimately won every time but I think it was more about them getting him off their backs he bothered them so much.

The best of luck man,

Last edited:
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Not sure if this has been asked before, but is this a Honda-only dealer or a multi-line dealer? Sounds like a multi-line dealer if they don't have the correct plug to diagnose your machine. Might have better luck taking it to a Honda dealer that is used to dealing with these machines.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I do feel your pain and I probably would have stroked out by now personally.

There is no lemon law on recreational vehicles or motorcycles in your state last I checked :(
Go to your state attorney generals website to check.
Dealers aren't obligated by law in California to replace or give loaners (although I think it's good business practice), they have to do their due diligence for Honda which can take a bit as the factory will have them doing all kinds of diagnostics.

Did you have this same dealer install all of the add-on's? They are way more obligated if you did.

You might have a much better chance calling Honda direct...although I can tell you they're going to back pedal a bunch before you get anywhere, get the phone number for the local zone manager call them everyday multiple times a day. I have a friend with very deep pockets (more money than sense) who has sued several manufactures & dealers for things like the over heating issue, he ultimately won every time but I think it was more about them getting him off their backs he bothered them so much.

The best of luck man,

You're right there is no lemon law for ATV's in CA.

They were supposed to install the add on's at first, but the stuff took a while to come in and I ended up having some time off work, so I did it all myself.

Thanks for the insight

Not sure if this has been asked before, but is this a Honda-only dealer or a multi-line dealer? Sounds like a multi-line dealer if they don't have the correct plug to diagnose your machine. Might have better luck taking it to a Honda dealer that is used to dealing with these machines.

Multi line, honda, husksy, textron and maybe one other. They actually used to just be a honda dealer, but mostly just sold bikes. Apparently the 2020 x4 has a different diagnosis connector than the other talons. Which I've read elsewhere also, so it's not them.

They've admitted that they are new to the sxs's, but they seem to actually know what they are doing, so for now, I'm trusting them. The next closest honda dealer, which is also multi line, wouldn't get a 50cc inner tube purchase from me. Which leaves Sacramento (2 hrs) I have no idea on any of their abilities, so it would be a shot in the dark dropping my machine at on of those dealers.

Reactions: Plumber32

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!