Is it unreasonable to ask for a loaner rig when your new machine is in the shop for warranty work?

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I got my Talon on the 27th, had it for 3 weekends and the dealer had it last weekend and has no idea when they will be done with it. So for sure this week end and I'm betting next weekend. Which, at that time, will be half of the time I've owned it.

Of course, I don't "need" it to get to work or anything,l like if my truck were at the dealer. But I didn't spend almost $40k on this machine (with tax and accessories) to miss out on trip after trip.

This is my first experience with a new powersport machine, so I'm curious, Would it be unreasonable to ask for a loaner rig?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can ask. They can say no. I would be surprised if they didn't say no to be honest.
Go in demanding it and you'll likely be laughed out and your machine moved to the back of the line for sure though.
I've never been in your situation. I've had something between 5 and 10 new machines and not had to take one back to the shop ever.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Hell if the ratio of time owned to time in service is that bad I would start making alot of noise about a loaner at the least.

That's how I feel, what's even worse is a lot of the time I did have it, I spent outfitting it. Fully enclosed cab, glass windshield with wiper heater, front and rear winches, 2nd battery, built my own fuse block and switch panel, ect. Also spent some time sealing gaps in the firewall and doors. So it would be better than nothing, but a loaner would be back to square one as far as that goes.

You can ask. They can say no. I would be surprised if they didn't say no to be honest.
Go in demanding it and you'll likely be laughed out and your machine moved to the back of the line for sure though.
I've never been in your situation. I've had something between 5 and 10 new machines and not had to take one back to the shop ever.

I'd be surprised if they didn't say no also.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I4wd/hill start doesn't work (all they have touched)

Pops out of low (probably needs a new low gear set)

Rear diff leaks

Possible coolant leak near radiator

All with about 150 miles
Ah, makes sense now. In reality I'd ask for extended warranty for the trouble ya know?

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Ah, makes sense now. In reality I'd ask for extended warranty for the trouble ya know?

Already bought it....

Day I bought it, I bought the full upper doors (4 seat) glass windshield, wiper, hard rear panel, and lower doors, all honda. It was $30k OTD with tax and whatever. I have also purchased tracks ($5k) a plastic windshield, heater, front and rear winches, 2nd battery, a switch panel and fuse blocks, plus a few little things. Im hoping I'm still under $40k because even that much makes me sick, but it's definitely close.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Already bought it....

Day I bought it, I bought the full upper doors (4 seat) glass windshield, wiper, hard rear panel, and lower doors, all honda. It was $30k OTD with tax and whatever. I have also purchased tracks ($5k) a plastic windshield, heater, front and rear winches, 2nd battery, a switch panel and fuse blocks, plus a few little things. Im hoping I'm still under $40k because even that much makes me sick, but it's definitely close.
They will get you fixed up. Honda seems to take care of their customers within reason.

Reactions: Backwoods
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got my Talon on the 27th, had it for 3 weekends and the dealer had it last weekend and has no idea when they will be done with it. So for sure this week end and I'm betting next weekend. Which, at that time, will be half of the time I've owned it.

Of course, I don't "need" it to get to work or anything,l like if my truck were at the dealer. But I didn't spend almost $40k on this machine (with tax and accessories) to miss out on trip after trip.

This is my first experience with a new powersport machine, so I'm curious, Would it be unreasonable to ask for a loaner rig?
I think they need to do something, you’re out money and a machine at this point.

J

JTW

Already bought it....

Lol... you’re retarded!!

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Make sure they know your hill start didn't work from day one or they may have to disconnect all your electrical work.

Reactions: Backwoods
Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Make sure they know your hill start didn't work from day one or they may have to disconnect all your electrical work.

The first day they tried saying it could have been something I had done. I quickly told them that it had never worked. I even brought it in for them to diagnose before I had added anything and they said they didn't have right plug for my machine.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!