P1000 Is my Rearend exploding?

brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
Does anyone else have a "pop" in the rearend when taking off from a stop? It has been doing this since my purchase on 10-27-2015. When i put it it high or low or reverse and start to accelerate POP. I tried to overlook it or get use to it but honestly its very annoying. When im in rough bouncy terrain at slow speeds (you know when its difficult to maintain steady pressure on the accelerator) its pop, pop, pop. When im driving and let up off of the gas pedal to to brake or turn or whatever then get back on the gas POP. It feels like slack in the driveline. Its also very jerky or touchy in rough rocky terrain at slow speeds. Have any of you guys had or heard this noise on yours? Please let me know as im trying to find out if its normal or time to take it to the dealer. Thanks

Donnie

Donnie

Dec 18, 2015
SW Missouri
Sorry, nope. Sounds like you may need to have the dealer look at it.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
I think all the honda sxs have straight cut gears which have some play... many have used thicker oil to quiet things down. Mobile 1 75w140, its worth a shot if it is really bothering you.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
I think all the honda sxs have straight cut gears which have some play... many have used thicker oil to quiet things down. Mobile 1 75w140, its worth a shot if it is really bothering you.
I wouldn't mess with it considering its still under warranty. I would be going to the dealer. I refuse to touch my machine under warranty except for oil change or putting on accessories, but no mine does not do that.

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
Could be going in and out of turf mode? Maybe the cable for the shifter is mis adjusted?

Reactions: pct
brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
Could be going in and out of turf mode? Maybe the cable for the shifter is mis adjusted?
Im not sure on that. Mine seems to shift from turf, 2wd, 4wd, diff lock pretty good. 90% of the time its in turf mode on our farm i haven't noticed the rear axle being locked in turf mode and vise versa

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
With the tranny in neutral can you manually reach in and turn the drive shaft back and forth by hand? When I say turn, I mean just a little bit each way not a full revolution. It kind of sounds like there could be play in the driveline perhaps

Reactions: pct and Jody
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Compare it with another one to see if its normal. Its normal to hear a load click on easy accel as it shifts gears. It will shift into 6th gear at about 28 mph on easy accel.

advertisement
brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
With the tranny in neutral can you manually reach in and turn the drive shaft back and forth by hand? When I say turn, I mean just a little bit each way not a full revolution. It kind of sounds like there could be play in the driveline perhaps
Tflynn thanks i just tried that and yes i can twist the shaft a little and when i twist it back an forth i can here the knock in the rearend. I called the dealer and he said they all do it. The 500,700,1000. I said wow i sold my 700 for this 1000 but my 700 never did this. As usual theyre gonna play hard ball. Taking it to them monday. Lets see what happens

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
This weekend if I think of it I'll try mine and see if it does it too

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Mine has a little movement just enough to detect it. There's no knock - just a gentle tap when it engages.
The only thing that sounds anything like a pop on mine is the solenoid when it shifts.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
So when you move it, how far does it go? From lock to lock are we talking about a 1/16th of an inch? Less? More? Let's establish a standard for @brock to compare to.

brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
So when you move it, how far does it go? From lock to lock are we talking about a 1/16th of an inch? Less? More? Let's establish a standard for @brock to compare to.
I made a mark on the yoke and one on the rearend. It moves about 1/4". Also i noticed i can move the yoke side to side (not twist it side to side) but rather wiggle it left to right if you are facing the rear of the machine. On my truck there is a large nut on the yoke if it gets loose i can tighten it. I dont think thats the case here as i see no nut. I shot a stort video on my phone but cant seem to get it uploaded it says the file doesn't have an allowed extension. Country boy yes, computer smart no. Thank Tflynn for the help much appreciated

Reactions: Tflynn
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
No - not 1/4.
Maybe 1/16 - if that.
I wasnt looking for side to side but it felt tight.

Reactions: Tflynn
brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
No - not 1/4.
Maybe 1/16 - if that.
I wasnt looking for side to side but it felt tight.
Thanks Ghost for checking yours. I feel like if everyone had this issue it would be all over the forum. Now if i can just get this video uploade

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
1/4" sounds like a lot to me. I'll check mine in a bit

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would contact your dealer it sounds like something in the locker it could be jumping out of turf mode of out of 2 wheel lock and could cause
damage to your rear end

Reactions: brock
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!