Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ok I checked and mine barely moves. Probably not even a 1/16th of an inch. So if your dealer is saying they all do it (move a 1/4") he's full of crap.

HotRodLincoln

HotRodLincoln

Apr 5, 2016
n.h.
Rider error warranty denial. It happens. I think too many depend on warranty that is often denied. Longer test rides before purchase might be wise.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Compare it with one at the dealer. It looks like you have a problem.

brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
Rider error warranty denial. It happens. I think too many depend on warranty that is often denied. Longer test rides before purchase might be wise.
Rider error? Last time i checked its the pedal on the right. Piss poor qc sounds accurate.

Reactions: Tflynn
Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
Are you sure it's not just the shift clutches that you hear? They also make a popping sound just before every shift. A lot of folks thought this was a problem at first.

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
mine has made a very audible pop once and it was in the front coming out of 4x4. I'm sure it was the pin in which engages the front diff lock. I'm willing to bet the rear on yours is trying to go in and out of turf mode.

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Does it seem to do it while in a straight line or turning?

brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
Are you sure it's not just the shift clutches that you hear? They also make a popping sound just before every shift. A lot of folks thought this was a problem at first.
Springer no its not the shift solenoid. It only does it at take off or when you drive slow in first or reverse. I rocked the drive shaft back and forth as Tflynn suggested and it seems to have a significant amout of slack

brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
Does it seem to do it while in a straight line or turning?
It does it regardless of of turning or straight. When im driving in first gear (even first gear manual mode when no shifting takes place) at around 5mph when i left off the accelerator and coast a little then get back on the accelerator it makes a popping noise. Over and over everytime. It will also do this in reverse and the reason I belive it is a third member issue rather than dct.

Reactions: franzw
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Also i noticed i can move the yoke side to side (not twist it side to side) but rather wiggle it left to right if you are facing the rear of the machine.
That ain't right, sounds like a bad pinion bearing.

advertisement
W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That ain't right, sounds like a bad pinion bearing.
Agree, a bad pinion bearing or nut not torqued down allowing the pinion to go too deep into the ring gear.

HotRodLincoln

HotRodLincoln

Apr 5, 2016
n.h.
Rider error? Last time i checked its the pedal on the right. Piss poor qc sounds accurate.
I know, but many times this is how they deny warranty claims. Blame the operator. I once got blamed by Yamaha for "kicking" my seat which was coming apart at the seams like many others.

brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
I know, but many times this is how they deny warranty claims. Blame the operator. I once got blamed by Yamaha for "kicking" my seat which was coming apart at the seams like many others.
I agree. Seems like no matter what happens they say "thats normal they all do it" i had a jd gator 825i before my p700 took it to dealer with oil coming from rear axle. Again thats normal they all do it. Uhg

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree. Seems like no matter what happens they say "thats normal they all do it" i had a jd gator 825i before my p700 took it to dealer with oil coming from rear axle. Again thats normal they all do it. Uhg
Mine did the same thing on mine it was the locker not fully engaged and disengageing. From turf mode to 2wd. I adjusted the cables and it stopped. The indicators on dash showed it to be engaged or disengaged but it wasn't.

brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
Ok I checked and mine barely moves. Probably not even a 1/16th of an inch. So if your dealer is saying they all do it (move a 1/4") he's full of crap.
Took it to the dealer. He had a tech look at it and i took him for a ride on the lot so he could hear it. He said it sounds and feels like an excessive amount of play. We then checked a new one and it was tight. They are going to get in touch with Honda in CA and see what they want them to do. He assured me that they would get this issue fixed. I was glad to hear that and hopefully they will.

whayden2003

whayden2003

Mar 3, 2016
Slaughter,LA
Had mine on the lift for the first service this weekend. Check it and there is no play at all. Got me to thinking if that is where some of my gear whine is coming from.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Square cut gears are the whine.

Curious, is this gear cut the same as their ATV's? I do not ever recall noticing it in any of mine or friends/families units.

advertisement