Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Curious, is this gear cut the same as their ATV's? I do not ever recall noticing it in any of mine or friends/families units.
No. The atvs were not straight cut.
They are beveled and run smoother.
Straight cut is stronger but louder. Once they get some wear they lighten up but not like an atv.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Stauvo
brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
Well the service manager called and said that Honda told them to remove the rearend and tear it down. Said he would call back Thursday and let me know what they find. Its got me curious

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No. The atvs were not straight cut.
They are beveled and run smoother.
I think technically the difference is straight beveled gears versus helical beveled gears. Many ATVs that had quiet rear ends had helical beveled gears. Straight beveled gears are what I understand the pioneers have.

Waylan

Reactions: Stauvo and Hondasxs
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well the service manager called and said that Honda told them to remove the rearend and tear it down. Said he would call back Thursday and let me know what they find. Its got me curious
Me too. Be sure and tell us!

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If they tell you pinion depth is the problem, I would want new gears. The backlash will change if they just put it back together.

brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
If they tell you pinion depth is the problem, I would want new gears. The backlash will change if they just put it back together.
Thanks i thought the same thing and was wondering is this rearend set up like a truck? Are there shims for the pinion gear? Can the backlash even be adjusted? Ordered a service manual but its not in yet.

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks i thought the same thing and was wondering is this rearend set up like a truck? Are there shims for the pinion gear? Can the backlash even be adjusted? Ordered a service manual but its not in yet.
If you look at a parts diagram, yes it has pinion and ring gear shims.

Reactions: Stauvo
brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
Service manager called said they took the rearend apart and checked everything and said that everything is in spec. They have not found the problem. Said that even if they put in all new parts I would likely have the same problem. They say theres nothing wrong with it but if thats the case why does it pop and have more pinion SLOP than a 76 ford. Also said that honda has had this issue with 6 other units and that they seem to do this with high miles even though mine doesn't have high miles. Makes sense. Gave me a case number and a customer service number to call. Said that they will have it back together today. So tell me what do you guys think

advertisement
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think everything probably is still in spec (no real wear) - but it's shimmed wrong. Sounds like they just tore it down and everything looked good. Ask if they checked the backlash and I bet you get deer in the headlights.

Waylan

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Service manager called said they took the rearend apart and checked everything and said that everything is in spec. They have not found the problem. Said that even if they put in all new parts I would likely have the same problem. They say theres nothing wrong with it but if thats the case why does it pop and have more pinion SLOP than a 76 ford. Also said that honda has had this issue with 6 other units and that they seem to do this with high miles even though mine doesn't have high miles. Makes sense. Gave me a case number and a customer service number to call. Said that they will have it back together today. So tell me what do you guys think

Doesn't sound right to me. I would not accept that much play in the rear end (that's what she said)
Here's a couple of pages from the manual. Hope it helps...
IMG 2638
IMG 2637
IMG 2632
IMG 2633

Reactions: Tflynn
W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm willing to be a dial indicator was never put on it before disassembly.

Reactions: joeymt33
brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
I think everything probably is still in spec (no real wear) - but it's shimmed wrong. Sounds like they just tore it down and everything looked good. Ask if they checked the backlash and I bet you get deer in the headlights.

Waylan
I got it back for now the noise is gone. It even feels tighter when i drive it. I wonder if it was assembled correctly the first time at the factory. Doesnt make sense its popping take it apart put it back together no popping. Hmm

Reactions: wildbill and Stauvo
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Good thing you got it assembled correctly now - wouldn't wan't that going on long term.

Can you feel any movement in the drive shaft now ?

brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
Good thing you got it assembled correctly now - wouldn't wan't that going on long term.

Can you feel any movement in the drive shaft now ?
It feels a little tighter but not by much. Its got me wondering.

Last edited by a moderator:
brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
Took it to Macks Pines yesterday and it didn't pop one time. It gives me a lot more confidence in the machine with the noise gone (felt like i was breaking it everytime i took off) its also less jerky in the ruff stuff. Big thanks to my dealer for getting it fixed quickly.

Reactions: Tflynn
brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
Took it to Macks Pines yesterday and it didn't pop one time. It gives me a lot more confidence in the machine with the noise gone (felt like i was breaking it everytime i took off) its also less jerky in the ruff stuff. Big thanks to my dealer for getting it fixed quickly.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!