P500 Is the P500 the machine for me?

RSMark5

RSMark5

May 10, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
So I've been looking hard at these P500s and I'm real interested in buying one in the next month. I've been reading threads on here like crazy but I just wanted to ask people who owned them a while what they thought about my situation.

Currently have a 2017 Can am outlander 570 xmr, and I'm looking to buy a second toy. I ride on the east coast, tight pine forest thick mud deep ruts often 3-4' of water. I started looking at rubicons because I've owned fourtrax 300s and a rancher 350 and I just love hondas. But it sure would be great to take a friend you know? As much as I love my buddies can am commander, its cool and fast great v twin and power steering and all that it just can't get down most trails. I previously owned a polaris ace and loved it when it actually worked I'm experienced with a small utv. I know it would need forward a arms or the long travel kit, 31" + tires, gear reduction, clutch springs, snorkels and the works. I'm cool with that going into it. Should I expect similar experience with the P500 as I would a rubicon, or the ol fourtrax with similar mod list? Is the Pioneer 500 the fourtrax 300 of sxs? I'm not getting rid of the can am this would just be a goofing off machine. What do ya think? Is the P500 the one or keep looking?

Heres some pics just to say thanks for reading this.

FGu9ZUUl

50kv2fJl

MOPhwFDl

J

JTW

Had a p500 and it wasn’t the machine for me... bought a pk5 and there’s been no looking back! The p500 is a sxs 4 wheeler. But honestly, I would prefer a 4 wheeler over the p500. If you don’t have a need for a 50” machine due to trail restrictions I’d suggest looking at the pioneer 1000 or an rspec wolverine. Particularly, if you’re talking about spending the money to heavily mod the p500. You’ll end up spending more to mod the p500 than you would with an already capable larger machine.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I’m loving the P5! Its a great platform to start a build and you can do anything your heart desires to make it fit your needs!

I own a bad ass P1k5-D. But...if I’m riding alone I’m taking the P5:cool:

414291F3 3D70 4DE1 8D5D BF68FCBD2A66
AC83B1E8 A9C6 4208 BEBB B2B740AC1596

SpaceTroll

SpaceTroll

Jul 8, 2018
Kirbyville Tx
Ownership

1. 500
I ride in the same conditions you are talking about, not by choice but by necessity. If I can go around mud and deep water I will but often in my hunting club it's not a choice. I LOVE MY P500 . You will want to install a locker and you may not need a gear reduction. They are pretty low in first gear. Mines a 2017 on 27" mayhems. @Bastardchild is the guy to talk to. I believe he's got 35's on his with portals off of a 700 but I could be wrong ..The 500 is awesome for what your wanting to do as long as you don't want to do it fast ;)

RSMark5

RSMark5

May 10, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I ride in the same conditions you are talking about, not by choice but by necessity. If I can go around mud and deep water I will but often in my hunting club it's not a choice. I LOVE MY P500 . You will want to install a locker and you may not need a gear reduction. They are pretty low in first gear. Mines a 2017 on 27" mayhems. @Bastardchild is the guy to talk to. I believe he's got 35's on his with portals off of a 700 but I could be wrong ..The 500 is awesome for what your wanting to do as long as you don't want to do it fast ;)

Yeah, theres not much of a choice but to go through the holes. Theres no legal restrictions for a 50" machine more like physical restrictions. Unless I just want to ride around the same few flat fire roads over and over it just won't work. My Polaris Ace was ~ 54" with mud tires and even that was a squeeze sometimes.

So of the 50" machines

Polaris 570 and 900 trail: More comfortable, more suspension, more hp than P5k. But, belt driven, more expensive, and my ace was a huge POS that didn't run 3/4 of the time. It will be a while before I trust another polaris

Can am Maverick 800
: More comfortable, more suspension, more hp, better looking and our fleet of can ams have never done us wrong. But $$$, belt driven and to do the mods I need its going to cost extreme amounts of money. Parts to mud out a Mav Trail just don't exist yet.

Arctic Cat trail: I don't even know what its called, its made by arctic cat/textron/clubcar whoever its owned by this week. And just no.

Honda Pioneer 500
: I love Hondas haven't had one in a long time, light nimble simple durable well thought out machines. Its the right size, isn't belt driven, only 1 snorkel needed. However it is way less horsepower than I'm use to. It has basically no suspension travel. I haven't driven one, but I assume its a bit on the rough side (like say a SRA Foreman vs my Outlander?). Local honda shop doesn't have one, but I'm betting seating is tight for 2 large guys. I hope it shifts better than my electric shift Rancher. Wish it had power steering.

Just something about it is just calling me. It has that bit of (X) factor that its weird and not a very common machine. If its anything like a rubicon though on big mud tires its slow but extremely capable. I got the can am for going fast. So yeah, thats my take having never sat in the Pioneer. I highly doubt I'll be able to sit in one, much less test drive before I buy. So thats why I'm extra double checking.

Sjc3081

Sjc3081

Jan 16, 2017
Wappinger NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I own a Can Am Outlander 800r. It is a good machine but needs extra TLC to keep it running. Once you own a Can Am its hard to step down to the mild power band power of a Honda.

Reactions: rtn001
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Sent you a private message (envelope at top) @RSMark5 .

Reactions: rtn001
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
So I've been looking hard at these P500s and I'm real interested in buying one in the next month. I've been reading threads on here like crazy but I just wanted to ask people who owned them a while what they thought about my situation.

Currently have a 2017 Can am outlander 570 xmr, and I'm looking to buy a second toy. I ride on the east coast, tight pine forest thick mud deep ruts often 3-4' of water. I started looking at rubicons because I've owned fourtrax 300s and a rancher 350 and I just love hondas. But it sure would be great to take a friend you know? As much as I love my buddies can am commander, its cool and fast great v twin and power steering and all that it just can't get down most trails. I previously owned a polaris ace and loved it when it actually worked I'm experienced with a small utv. I know it would need forward a arms or the long travel kit, 31" + tires, gear reduction, clutch springs, snorkels and the works. I'm cool with that going into it. Should I expect similar experience with the P500 as I would a rubicon, or the ol fourtrax with similar mod list? Is the Pioneer 500 the fourtrax 300 of sxs? I'm not getting rid of the can am this would just be a goofing off machine. What do ya think? Is the P500 the one or keep looking?

View attachment 128795

View attachment 128796

View attachment 128797
I play in the mud and water and I think the P5 is pretty bulletproof. I have had trouble overheating in sugar sand in the P5, P7, and P1000. If you just love projects like you say you do and dont mind dumping money into the P5 you can really make it a super capable machine, or just pay a little more and get a machine that has more power and a little more room or more bells and whistles. You can do the internal gear reductions to the P5 that are available for the Rubicon. Portals are available. @jak9922 makes sick long travel arched a-arms for the P5, snorkel kits available, power steering, box, trigger shield, tons and tons of mods that guys right here on this website come up with and share for all to see. It is a bit slower than your buddys on the P1000s can ride. I had more fun on my P5 with 30s than I do with 35s and portals. If you do the frame mod you can fit the 30s and turn the wheel lock to lock with no rubbing. Get stuck and step out of the P5 and reach in and pat the gas with your hand while pushing on the rollcage and she comes unstuck alot of the times just because its so lite. The locker for the front is about $430 and its bulletproof. I actually think other guys on here can tell you about the locker better than me. Being Im on 35s I can get through a lot of stuff not needing a locker, but Ive used it a few times and its pretty sweet. Also, its a Honda.

Last edited:
RSMark5

RSMark5

May 10, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I play in the mud and water and I think the P5 is pretty bulletproof.

This is the kind of stuff I was hoping to hear about. I didn't want to quote your whole post and clutter things up though.

Anyway, yeah I'm a guy who loves mods. I always wanted to mod my can am but after 2 years, really the only thing I ever felt it needed was a winch and hand guards? But the P500? Ha well, I got that all mapped out and I haven't even worked on buying the machine yet.

So far I was thinking off the get go, snorkels are a must roof is a must and I'd like a 1/4 windshield too. I have a set of 28 by 8 and 10 by 12" mud zillas mounted on stock can am wheels (4x137) that are 4+2 in the front, and 3+3 on the rear. I was just going to grab a set of adapters and toss those on for the time being. I figured with 1" adapters it would be like running yamaha 4+3 fitment, or 5+2 with a 1" spacer. Then I was going to order up a set of those forward control arms, not the outkast arms the other ones. The long travel kit is something I'd like to explore for sure. Just maybe in a year if I figure out I can work with the width or not. I was thinking about those 2" spring spacer lifts. I've had them before worked okay just don't want to get the axles all bound up but I need all the ground clearance I can get. Then I was planning on 30" BKT AT 171's, or 31 skinny laws, or 30 silverbacks. If its like most hondas I imagine you want to keep the weight down as much as possible.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

View attachment 128795

View attachment 128796

View attachment 128797
Get the P5 and don’t look back.......:cool:

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
This is the kind of stuff I was hoping to hear about. I didn't want to quote your whole post and clutter things up though.

Anyway, yeah I'm a guy who loves mods. I always wanted to mod my can am but after 2 years, really the only thing I ever felt it needed was a winch and hand guards? But the P500? Ha well, I got that all mapped out and I haven't even worked on buying the machine yet.

So far I was thinking off the get go, snorkels are a must roof is a must and I'd like a 1/4 windshield too. I have a set of 28 by 8 and 10 by 12" mud zillas mounted on stock can am wheels (4x137) that are 4+2 in the front, and 3+3 on the rear. I was just going to grab a set of adapters and toss those on for the time being. I figured with 1" adapters it would be like running yamaha 4+3 fitment, or 5+2 with a 1" spacer. Then I was going to order up a set of those forward control arms, not the outkast arms the other ones. The long travel kit is something I'd like to explore for sure. Just maybe in a year if I figure out I can work with the width or not. I was thinking about those 2" spring spacer lifts. I've had them before worked okay just don't want to get the axles all bound up but I need all the ground clearance I can get. Then I was planning on 30" BKT AT 171's, or 31 skinny laws, or 30 silverbacks. If its like most hondas I imagine you want to keep the weight down as much as possible.
Awewome man. Yeah adapters would be good, wider is always better on a P5. You seem like a handy guy, so do the frame mod and throw the 30s on and it will spin them in 1st for sure. 1st gear is hella low on the P5. Ive mentioned it in the past, and I think you did in your earlier post, I think the P5 is the sxs version of the old 300 Fourtax 4 wheeler that has an underground cult following. Those things were bullet proof.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah, theres not much of a choice but to go through the holes. Theres no legal restrictions for a 50" machine more like physical restrictions. Unless I just want to ride around the same few flat fire roads over and over it just won't work. My Polaris Ace was ~ 54" with mud tires and even that was a squeeze sometimes.

So of the 50" machines

Polaris 570 and 900 trail: More comfortable, more suspension, more hp than P5k. But, belt driven, more expensive, and my ace was a huge POS that didn't run 3/4 of the time. It will be a while before I trust another polaris

Can am Maverick 800
: More comfortable, more suspension, more hp, better looking and our fleet of can ams have never done us wrong. But $$$, belt driven and to do the mods I need its going to cost extreme amounts of money. Parts to mud out a Mav Trail just don't exist yet.

Arctic Cat trail: I don't even know what its called, its made by arctic cat/textron/clubcar whoever its owned by this week. And just no.

Honda Pioneer 500
: I love Hondas haven't had one in a long time, light nimble simple durable well thought out machines. Its the right size, isn't belt driven, only 1 snorkel needed. However it is way less horsepower than I'm use to. It has basically no suspension travel. I haven't driven one, but I assume its a bit on the rough side (like say a SRA Foreman vs my Outlander?). Local honda shop doesn't have one, but I'm betting seating is tight for 2 large guys. I hope it shifts better than my electric shift Rancher. Wish it had power steering.

Just something about it is just calling me. It has that bit of (X) factor that its weird and not a very common machine. If its anything like a rubicon though on big mud tires its slow but extremely capable. I got the can am for going fast. So yeah, thats my take having never sat in the Pioneer. I highly doubt I'll be able to sit in one, much less test drive before I buy. So thats why I'm extra double checking.
Where you at in N.C.? Jerry at Sportcycle in Rockingham has 18' models for about 7800 bucks now.

Reactions: RSMark5 and rtn001
RSMark5

RSMark5

May 10, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I'm in Jacksonville. I talked to them today, with taxes it was just shy of $8400 OTD. But I think I may make the trek to abernathy in TN. Its significantly cheaper and may try and ride Royal Blue on the way home.

RSMark5

RSMark5

May 10, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I did it. Put a deposit on one today. Hope you guys are right.

Anything I need to know before I go and pick it up? Hows it in the bed of a 2500 Chevrolet with the 6'7 bed? Or should we take a trailer?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

Anything I need to know before I go and pick it up? Hows it in the bed of a 2500 Chevrolet with the 6'7 bed? Or should we take a trailer?
Have them remove the battery cover box to “show you the fuses”. P500 - Caution on P500 battery cover bolts. If you have a trailer, easier to load until you get familiar with driving it.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
think whether people love it or hate it depends how big they are, when I sat in it at the dealer is when I didn't want it anymore and got the 700, which ends up being about the same width as the moded 500s. and you get way more for just a little more that, locker and and bunch more stability for ruts and hill, and room for storage.

I grew up for decades riding Yamaha and kawi, everyone I know has can am and I thought id try that, but the racket and break downs after frequent mud wears on you. back to jap machines, last time I went to the one park the outlander broke one cv cage and some other stuff, I went through the same hole with this same size tires and went through a few times and all the other stuff was a lot worse this year because of all rain and didn't break or get stuck once and still queit as a mouse, every job takes 1/3 if the time as the can am too

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

It’ll do fine in the bed of the truck...:cool:

Reactions: rtn001 and RSMark5

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!