P1000 Is there a way to flash the computer on a Pioneer 1000 after installing 4" Portals and 30" tires?

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I just installed 4" portals and 30" tires on my 2018 Pioneer 1000-5, obviously the speedometer is off, is there a program or way to change the wheel and gearing size? I'm not worried about oil changes as I'd just do them on hours or any frequency I feel needed with riding but, it would be nice to show correct speed.

I've heard of other programs available to fix the hunting of gears and lowering the gears in mud or sand, who makes them?

TYIA

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There was a gent here that messed with the final gears on his 500. He used a sensor duplicator of some sort to trick his pcm. I can't find the thread on my phone. I will search around in a bit and see if I can link it.

D

DDDonkey

I just installed 4" portals and 30" tires on my 2018 Pioneer 1000-5, obviously the speedometer is off, is there a program or way to change the wheel and gearing size? I'm not worried about oil changes as I'd just do them on hours or any frequency I feel needed with riding but, it would be nice to show correct speed.

I've heard of other programs available to fix the hunting of gears and lowering the gears in mud or sand, who makes them?

TYIA
I don’t know of a way to flash the pc but post some pics please.

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I don’t know of a way to flash the pc but post some pics please.
I really have to learn how to post pictures here.

My Honda looks basically stole as the new wheels look similar to th e LE wheels and the Super ATV Intimidator tires kinda look like the stock 27" tires. I love it, similar but different.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand

TYIA
SpeedoDRD

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Plug that into your rear diff VSS and program it for the change. GPS mph is best to get it correct.
Doesn't the 1000 also utilize a speed sensor on the front diff?
I was thinking they would need 2 of those, one for each?

If the PCM/ECM sees a big differential between front and rear, will it still allow it to shift properly? I know I read of issues of people trying to dyno these. As well as people not being able to shift while blowing dough-nuts in the dirt.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand

If the PCM/ECM sees a big differential between front and rear, will it still allow it to shift properly? I know I read of issues of people trying to dyno these. As well as people not being able to shift while blowing dough-nuts in the dirt.
The front diff has to get a signal for it to shift out of first. It works with the Subtrans VSS for the rest of the shifting. The rear diff VSS just works the speedo. With the portals, the reduction is after the front and subtrans VSS so it doesn't mess up shifting like the IGR does.

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I really have to learn how to post pictures here.

My Honda looks basically stole as the new wheels look similar to th e LE wheels and the Super ATV Intimidator tires kinda look like the stock 27" tires. I love it, similar but different.
Stock! Not Stole!

Reactions: Gator and BWAF
SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Yes it does, it has i4x4 drive in stead of 4x4 lock, which utilizes speed info from the wheels. You can see the speed sensors on all ends of the diff's but, so far on the little driving I've done around the yard, it hasn't lost its sense of the 4 wheels. I have to bleed the brakes again and I feel that will have the most effect on the i 4x4 drive. We'll see, I'm still experimenting.

advertisement
SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The front diff has to get a signal for it to shift out of first. It works with the Subtrans VSS for the rest of the shifting. The rear diff VSS just works the speedo. With the portals, the reduction is after the front and subtrans VSS so it doesn't mess up shifting like the IGR does.
Right, exactly. Again, so far, it shifts good, sort of better than I remember but, not on trails, at my house doing low speeds. I'll let you know after this next weekend when I hit the trails.

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I just received the SpeedoDRD and was wondering, what benefit other than seeing the correct speed do you get with this unit?

Reactions: GPR1500SC
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I just received the SpeedoDRD and was wondering, what benefit other than seeing the correct speed do you get with this unit?
I remember it showing u your top speed recorded. Outside of that not much. On programing i believe its: hold down for 5 blinks release, hold down till green and release, then u hold down and release on th blinks for each number for the percentage change. Got to do 3 numbers. I.e. 26.1 %, 08.4%. I believe the 10th blink is zero. Got to have it hooked up and the switch on to program.

Reactions: SuperDutyJohn
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Green is plus and red is negative. You'll probably have to do red, not green.

Reactions: SuperDutyJohn
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Do you think it could be put on the sub transmission to fool it into shifting properly with igr?

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Do you think it could be put on the sub transmission to fool it into shifting properly with igr?
You need one on the front diff and the subtrans to get it to shift at WOT.

Reactions: GPR1500SC
W

westcoastbill

Oct 7, 2018
eureka, Ca.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

TYIA
did you change your offset to 4x3 with the portals. I just put a set on and am kicking around idea of 1/2" spacers or change offset.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!