BOX1

Is there a way to "shorten" a Talon 1000X (2-seater)?

michdave

michdave

Apr 28, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK...Let me explain quickly without the details. If you care to understand why I'm going this route...details are listed below.

I have an open-bed Aluma trailer that is 10 feet long. I also have a Livin Lite Quicksilver VRV 7x20 toy hauler that has a garage space that is 10 feet long.

All the dealers near me are out of Talons, so I can't go measure one myself. I'm looking to get a Talon 1000x or similar size sport SxS that will fit in/on both of those trailers. My concern is the Talon X being 124 inches in length when the toy hauler garage is 10 ft from ramp to refrigerator. The exception to the length is, the fridge only sticks into the garage are about 20 inches. So, if any length over 120 is simply the front bumper or the rear muffler, the Talon may fit.

Polaris Rzr makes a few that will fit for sure...but I'm not a huge Polaris fan. I'm trying stick with one of the Japanese brands..but that limits me to the Honda Talon or Yamaha YXZ. The Kawi KRX is way too huge to fit on either trailer.

I've added a few images to assist in explaining what I'm talking about. I appreciate if any owners get a chance to take a look at their machines and possibly take some measurements.

~Dave

Ok. if you're bored and curious why I'm shopping...

Bought a Pioneer 1000-5 and it's not the right machine for the riding I enjoy. I've tried making a ton of mods to better suit my needs...but it simply isn't that enjoyable to me. I have a build sheet on the forum....I've done just about every heat mod. Added Walker Evan shocks, Tuner, skids, fans, so many lights, and more accessories than I care to discuss. (These things are as bad as owning a Jeep used to be). Below 20mph, it's a lot of fun. I leave the windshield open and enjoy the breeze. Heat isn't bad that way and the baby doesn't mind the wind. The shocks improved handling a lot and anything below 30mph in the trails is easily absorbed. It's above 30mph that I'm not crazy about...

The little one doesn't like the wind above 30mph, so the windshield get's closed and heat builds. If there is someone using the rear seats; 1) they're not very comfy even with added cushions, 2) the gaps near the rear wheels create a dusty windstorm in the back. Even with the shocks, over 30mph, the P1K5's handling leaves much to be desired when compared to my friends Yamaha Wolverine X2, my brother's X4 and a friends Polaris RANGER 1000. We swapped machines and ran the trails and the more I rode the others, the less I enjoyed mine.

I could add harnesses, different wheels and tires, and maybe some other things to improve the machine...but at the end of the day, I'm asking something that designed more on the utility spectrum to act like a recreational / sport machine.

It's a love/hate thing. There's so much I love about the Pioneer...the engine is great, I LOVE there manual tranny mode and shifting gears or locking in a single gear. It looks way better than the machine listed above from my ride (opinion...I know).

But...If I keep the Pioneer and buy another...it will sit. Plus...it's paid off and I do not have the means to purchase a new one without financing. And I'm just not willing to finance a toy right now because we are in the process of purchasing a new home, and wifey will be due for a new car after our move to NE.

So...that's a the long story.

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon x4
You might gain a little by removing and modifying the front bumper, probably couldnt fit a winch then though. I doubt you could get 4 inches out of it though.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I agree with Vondy about front bumper but it won’t be much till tires hit, I know they are close. Rear the tires sit furthest back. Without doing something with control arms or smaller tires it sits pretty much how it can

Reactions: michdave
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The redneck dirt bike method?

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I have seen facebook postings about a company that sells extensions for Toy Haulers. Up to 2 or 3 feet. Guessing they wouldnt be cheap, but might be and option.

Found it.

michdave

michdave

Apr 28, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The ramp and bumper combined may do the trick.

The extension wouldn’t work on my trailer because it’s a “small” toy hauler and they only offer them for the larger models. (Attached something pics)

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I may even be able to make some “tire cutouts” on the ramp and below the fridge that’ll give me the room.

Think I’m going to suck it up and make a long drive to go measure one in-person and look at it.

FD671AAD 003D 4EA1 809B EF620B7DAE62 EE0650DD 06AF 4583 8C0E A8EA18C244F9 04EE2266 344C 4644 8999 FFA350F6BBFA

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
So with a 30" tire (probably more like 29" since they have been worn down), back edge of tire to front edge of tire is under 118". With the front bumper taken off and the exhaust heat shield taken off I think it would fit. Someone makes a front bumper on these that is much more flat. The winch is back far enough that it would be fine if the bumper was back further. I hope these help.

159675279961687537068997246833241596752880650187790773865080906115967527996168753706899724683324159675288065018779077386508090611596753001135383483262989638085215967530459237849199822016983715

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So with a 30" tire (probably more like 29" since they have been worn down), back edge of tire to front edge of tire is under 118". With the front bumper taken off and the exhaust heat shield taken off I think it would fit. Someone makes a front bumper on these that is much more flat. The winch is back far enough that it would be fine if the bumper was back further. I hope these help.

View attachment 217150View attachment 217152View attachment 217150View attachment 217152View attachment 217153View attachment 217154
Nice pics. Great info @Hometeam

Reactions: TripleB and CID
michdave

michdave

Apr 28, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 217150View attachment 217152View attachment 217150View attachment 217152View attachment 217153View attachment 217154

Thank you very much for taking the time and doing that!

That’s exactly what I needed to see.

Im thinking that I could actually back the machine in until the rear tire contacted the fridge. The muffler/truck area should clear the fridge since it doesn’t stick out that far. If I got a shorter bumper or made something custom that’s as flat as possible...the front tires may just touch the ramp.Sounds like it’ll fit.

Reactions: TripleB and Isaiah
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you very much for taking the time and doing that!

That’s exactly what I needed to see.

Im thinking that I could actually back the machine in until the rear tire contacted the fridge. The muffler/truck area should clear the fridge since it doesn’t stick out that far. If I got a shorter bumper or made something custom that’s as flat as possible...the front tires may just touch the ramp.Sounds like it’ll fit.
Just keep in mind if you intend to put bigger tires on you will have more space issues. 👍🏻

Reactions: Isaiah and michdave
michdave

michdave

Apr 28, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just keep in mind if you intend to put bigger tires on you will have more space issues. 👍🏻

Very true. Hopefully that’ll only be a concern the next 4-5 years until I can retire from the AF and start life #2 back home. Once I can settle back in Michigan, I’ll be using our cabin in the northern part of the state instead of towing a toy hauler around.

So, I can just rock the stock size until then or...keep them and larger tires for hauling.

Kevinka1977

Kevinka1977

Dec 31, 2018
Washington
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. Talon X
Check out Bossman Designs. They have a great bumper that fits snug to the body.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you considered backing in the rig or winching it in backwards? Maybe your obstacles would fit better?

maybe going with an open garage TH is the better option long term?

jtsticks3

jtsticks3

Jul 1, 2020
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon x4
It also means you could not add any accessories front or back and may not be able to put bigger tires on it. I know it is not apples to apples, but I have the 1000x4 and an open trailer that has exactly 145" and I do not hang over with a couple inches to spare and spec says it is 153" long, so IDK.

michdave

michdave

Apr 28, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you everyone for the tips, measurements, recommendations and pictures!

@Vikes79 I've already got the toy hauler, and it just wouldn't be worth it to sell and replace it knowing that I will most likely not use it much in 5 years once I can retire and move back to my home state.

As far as backing it in....I think that's going to be the ticket. I was able to sneak over to the dealer the other day and take some good measurements. It looks like the stock X-2 seater is 116 inches from front of one tire to the back of the other. If I slap on a stubby bumper as mentioned above, I could back the machine in, let the front tires touch the ramp, and I'd have plenty of room....

Actually....if that works, I could actually get the R-2 seater and that would fit as well length wise....she'd be snug width wise!

@jtsticks3. As far as add-ons...I'm all about them but within reason. I most likely won't run anything other than stock tire sizes. I've found spare tire mounts that stay in the truck area and below the roof height. A stubby bumper, winch, lights, and maybe a particle separator...quick bolt ons. I usually try to keep my machines simple and light as possible.

Now I just have to decided on exactly which model...X, R, or X-Live Wire. I really hate that I read some reviews that praise the same machine that another review condemns. Everyone is so over-critical I think in today's "YouTube and instagram world". Ha-ha. But...I think the Fox 2.5's are a much better shock than the 2.0's on the std X. I'm just really surprised on what a lot of folks have been saying about the suspension being harsh....mind you, I haven't driven one all....so I'm naive real-world personal testing.

Reactions: TripleB
jtsticks3

jtsticks3

Jul 1, 2020
Cincinnati, Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Thank you everyone for the tips, measurements, recommendations and pictures!

@Vikes79 I've already got the toy hauler, and it just wouldn't be worth it to sell and replace it knowing that I will most likely not use it much in 5 years once I can retire and move back to my home state.

As far as backing it in....I think that's going to be the ticket. I was able to sneak over to the dealer the other day and take some good measurements. It looks like the stock X-2 seater is 116 inches from front of one tire to the back of the other. If I slap on a stubby bumper as mentioned above, I could back the machine in, let the front tires touch the ramp, and I'd have plenty of room....

Actually....if that works, I could actually get the R-2 seater and that would fit as well length wise....she'd be snug width wise!

@jtsticks3. As far as add-ons...I'm all about them but within reason. I most likely won't run anything other than stock tire sizes. I've found spare tire mounts that stay in the truck area and below the roof height. A stubby bumper, winch, lights, and maybe a particle separator...quick bolt ons. I usually try to keep my machines simple and light as possible.

Now I just have to decided on exactly which model...X, R, or X-Live Wire. I really hate that I read some reviews that praise the same machine that another review condemns. Everyone is so over-critical I think in today's "YouTube and instagram world". Ha-ha. But...I think the Fox 2.5's are a much better shock than the 2.0's on the std X. I'm just really surprised on what a lot of folks have been saying about the suspension being harsh....mind you, I haven't driven one all....so I'm naive real-world personal testing.
Cool, only brought it because i had an issue (trailer had a build in toolbox i had to remove)

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
fwiw: The wheelbase on the R is ~5" longer than the X. And it's generally posted that the X is a rough rider - and not in a good way. I intended to get my R sprung and valved for my riding style so that was budgeted for.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!