P1000 Issues cranking/ blowby?

H

henrybarth

Jun 8, 2022
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-3 EPS is having some real confusing issues. A few weeks ago it started acting very loud and then last week it would no longer start. Cranked hard for about 1-2 revolutions and then stops. After stopping it would just make one click when I turn the key and not engage the starter. Tested the starter, battery & wires which were all in good working condition. Started playing around and it randomly started working again. Maybe keyswitch?

Now I got it to start again but it is idling rough with a misfire and one cylinder is clearly stronger than the other. I tried swapping plugs and coils with no difference. I noticed when I removed the valve cover that there was a decent amount of air getting past the rings. When I installed it again, enough was getting past that when I ripped the valve cover seal it quickly misted the whole area. So, I pulled out my compression tester and at cranking one tested 130psi and the second tested 160 psi. Does anyone know the spec for cylinder compression at cranking or if there is a bleed off valve?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

*edit*
Here she lies in my shop

Honda Pioneer

Last edited:
H

henrybarth

Jun 8, 2022
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The injector wires all seem fine. I put a set of spark plugs in it that I had and it started right up this morning but died after about 10 seconds, almost sounding like it locked up. Now it will click once when I try to start it but wont turn over. (The same issue I had before it randomly started working again)

I did not think anything of it, because I believe it had always done it, but the instrument panel flashes when starting like it uses all the juice it's got on the starter. Is that normal?

Last edited:
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
any luck with diagnosis/repair?

Reactions: JenElio
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The injector wires all seem fine. I put a set of spark plugs in it that I had and it started right up this morning but died after about 10 seconds, almost sounding like it locked up. Now it will click once when I try to start it but wont turn over. (The same issue I had before it randomly started working again)

I did not think anything of it, because I believe it had always done it, but the instrument panel flashes when starting like it uses all the juice it's got on the starter. Is that normal?
Injector wires and a bad battery if I was a betting man. I replaced both my Injector connectors on the trail 2 days ago. They looked fine but I was getting code 13 when it would die. It's been randomly dieing the last 3 weeks. It started dieing every 10 feet 2 days ago so that's what made me go ahead and change them. I've been carrying those with me for 2 years and finally used them. No problems since. May not be your problem.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What year models are affected by the faulty injector wire plague? Need to know if I should be prepared with my '21 - - I do have extra spark plugs.

advertisement
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What year models are affected by the faulty injector wire plague? Need to know if I should be prepared with my '21 - - I do have extra spark plugs.
Not sure but $50 and you're covered if you need them. Or you might get another JAH off the trail by having them on hand. Probably worth a trail BJ from someone that doesn't have them.

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Nope, just a fluke. Mine failed 6mths into warranty. I fixed vs sending to dealership. My service department is horrible.
Last year I was surfing the Club Store at the TO and saw the repair ends and bought them, couple months latter I needed them?

Reactions: Lady01
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last year I was surfing the Club Store at the TO and saw the repair ends and bought them, couple months latter I needed them?
Nothing was available when mine failed Labor day of 17. I emailed a bunch of fuel injector websites and finally found 1 guy that could supply a pair. I also searched on ebay for used Honda fuel injector harnesses to see what I could find used. It was a nightmare. We are lucky @Hondasxs offers repair kits.