K&N Airfilter

208Talon

208Talon

Jul 8, 2021
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Has anyone installed the K&N or the Twin Air, Air filter? Thoughts? I Have a partical seperator so I am not super worried about getting one. However it would be nice when i do have to change my filer every 8-900 miles depending on dust I could just wash it instead.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
only 8-900 miles with a seperator? what kind? mine got me well over 2K per filter when i had it and that az dust. most change the filter when it looks dirty vs when it actually starts to restrict air flow. might think about installing a filter minder to know when it actually needs changed.
that being said i'd run the twin air over the pos K&N.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I don't recommend K&N for any off road use.

I have the revised R2C Talon filters in stock now. They had a few issues with the previous urethane mounting flange but these new ones are clearly stronger than the old ones. These dry element filters are easier to clean than the foam.

I also have Desertcraft foam buddies in stock, that are an in the air box oiled foam pre filter. They are designed to be easily serviced after catching dirt ahead of the primary filter to extend the life of it. Since you have an S&B this might be a good option for you. When you turn it on, you should not get much dirt to the filter anyway.

Twin air is probably good too. I've not seen one in person.

Last edited:
SP82

SP82

Jan 21, 2021
CA
I have a k&n filter on my pioneer. No issues but I do clean it every trip. I’ve used those on every quad ,atc ,an dirt bike in my fleet and never had an issue. Also In my street cars. Clean those every oil change.
Ride dusty deserts , sand and trails. Not a lot of mudding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Has anyone installed the K&N or the Twin Air, Air filter? Thoughts? I Have a partical seperator so I am not super worried about getting one. However it would be nice when i do have to change my filer every 8-900 miles depending on dust I could just wash it instead.
The stock filter is the best filtration you can get, nothing will get through it and ruin your motor like some of the others have experienced. All the others are garbage, save your money for something useful.

I have an S&B, often run in the rear of the pack in full on dust and my filter still looks new with 3000+ miles.

Get rid of the switch on the S&B to make sure it runs all the time and your stock filter will last 10,000 miles or more.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Looking at pics of twin air filter, it’s a very similar to the R2C with a clamping flange. The difference I can see in pics is of course the twin air is all foam, including the flange. And the clamping flange looks to be plastic. So my thought is, if some of the R2Cs failed and they are urethane, how is foam going to hold up? Same as R2C, the foam is only smashed between the mounting plate and the air box. Seems to me that the foam wouldn’t be as strong as the urethane. The twin air filters have not been out very long either. My distributor doesn’t even have any yet. I wanted to order on to check it out.

They may be fine. You never know until they’ve been out a little while.

Reactions: Blownzuki
Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Looking at pics of twin air filter, it’s a very similar to the R2C with a clamping flange. The difference I can see in pics is of course the twin air is all foam, including the flange. And the clamping flange looks to be plastic. So my thought is, if some of the R2Cs failed and they are urethane, how is foam going to hold up? Same as R2C, the foam is only smashed between the mounting plate and the air box. Seems to me that the foam wouldn’t be as strong as the urethane. The twin air filters have not been out very long either. My distributor doesn’t even have any yet. I wanted to order on to check it out.

They may be fine. You never know until they’ve been out a little while.
the twin air are used by the honda race team. i'm sure they are fine.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
That’s good to know. I didn’t know what honda racing used.

The Twin Air filter isn't all foam. It has a molded urethane sealing ring around it like the R2C does. Also, I believe the hold down flange that's included is orange anodized aluminum and not plastic.

I'd also have no issue running the new K&N filter with a pre-filter setup. If the pre-filter/sock combo is doing a good job the filter in the air box will never come into play. That R2C pre-filter combo I bought from you does a damn good job of keeping my airbox and primary filter spotless. I've been running the air filter that came with my Talon since I started racing and it's still looking great.

A

adudes

Supporting Member
Jul 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Are there some web links to the filter systems you guys are talking about?

Reactions: Smitty335
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Are there some web links to the filter systems you guys are talking about?
If you are refering to the prefilter setup that slowpoke is running...
He made the snorkel, I supplied the R2C filter for it. I have designed and built 2 snorkel kits for talons with aluminum tube and am currently running them in testing. Not in production yet. They are quite complicated to build.

As for air filters themselves, I sell R2C, can get UNI but I don't push them, and am trying to get my hands on the new Twin Air Talon filters.

A

adudes

Supporting Member
Jul 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Ok. I'm running the BVC kit which seems to be working well. My dad and son both need to modify theirs yet so I'm just looking at all options for them. Thanks

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ok. I'm running the BVC kit which seems to be working well. My dad and son both need to modify theirs yet so I'm just looking at all options for them. Thanks
Check out HondaBob’s snorkel and prefilter idea, it’s linked in my sig - New Talon Owners. I’ve been running his setup since the first time I rode it and the original, stock filter still looks new at 2561 miles.

A

adudes

Supporting Member
Jul 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
I've seen the HondaBob system and others like it but don't like the fact that it can easily get wet when raining. And I don't really want to run a long tube to put the filter under the roof either. Looks like the BVC set-up will work best for us. Thanks.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
BPINE

BPINE

Nov 15, 2019
San Jose, Ca
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. Talon R
My Buddy bought a Twin air and I think it also has a design flaw. The holes don't line up and after JSports got ahold of Twin Air they suggest eliminating the collared washer to make it fit (They are going to change the instructions). IMO this doesn't seem like a good idea, That washer IMO servers a purpose as to not compress and deform the plastic off the stock filter with the bolt still being tight so it won't come loose and fall out. The Twin air is similar and I am not confident that the bolt won't come loose if that flanges spacer washer is removed. You might be able to use some loctite but this is a high maintenance item how many times until the inserts will be a problem?

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
My Buddy bought a Twin air and I think it also has a design flaw. The holes don't line up and after JSports got ahold of Twin Air they suggest eliminating the collared washer to make it fit (They are going to change the instructions). IMO this doesn't seem like a good idea, That washer IMO servers a purpose as to not compress and deform the plastic off the stock filter with the bolt still being tight so it won't come loose and fall out. The Twin air is similar and I am not confident that the bolt won't come loose if that flanges spacer washer is removed. You might be able to use some loctite but this is a high maintenance item how many times until the inserts will be a problem?

Well that sucks!

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Well that sucks!
Double that. Twin air just approved my dealer app today.

I've seen that BVC setup but didn't recognize the name. This is a better idea but you will still get VERY dirty air at that location within the fender housing.

My snorkel kit is 99% figured out, but like adudes, I'm a little hesitant to run without some kind of rain cap. When we make long trips we often have to ride in the rain to get the most out of the time we have. Thoghts on a rain cap for the pre filter have been bouncing in my head for a couple weeks now.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Double that. Twin air just approved my dealer app today.

I've seen that BVC setup but didn't recognize the name. This is a better idea but you will still get VERY dirty air at that location within the fender housing.

My snorkel kit is 99% figured out, but like adudes, I'm a little hesitant to run without some kind of rain cap. When we make long trips we often have to ride in the rain to get the most out of the time we have. Thoghts on a rain cap for the pre filter have been bouncing in my head for a couple weeks now.

A plastic bucket of some kind that magnetically attaches to the top of the filter? I'd say a stud mount but with the filter having media on the top it would be difficult to get a single stud in the middle.

BVC builds some sick 3 wheelers!!! I saw their filter idea. Meh.... it's still inn the same place as the stock inlet and like you said, I think it will be sucking in dirty air in that location. The grate in the bed is a nice touch but my bed fills up with dust when I ride so I don't see that opening they use being any advantage over just sucking air straight from the inner fender.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!