CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
It uses a K&N filter = deal breaker. K&N finishes in the bottom third of all filters tested in several online filter comparison tests. If used as a prefilter, in front of the stock filter, you'll 'get away with it' since it'll filter out the large rocks and squirrels.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Looks like that system replaces the entire stock airbox. I'd have to see dyno numbers vs stock to see if it's worth the effort, but I bet it controls dust better than the stock setup.

The K&N filter can be swapped out with another brand of the same size easy peasy.

Reactions: CID
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Looks like that system replaces the entire stock airbox. I'd have to see dyno numbers vs stock to see if it's worth the effort, but I bet it controls dust better than the stock setup.

The K&N filter can be swapped out with another brand of the same size easy peasy.
Dyno results are there. $550 for less than 4HP? No thanks, I think I'll pass.

And it appears to fall off at the top end...

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
3.6hp is better than none, but it falling off at 6200RPM is a deal breaker for me.

What mod(s) cost less than that intake kit that give you more HP's??? I sure can't think of any.....

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
3.6hp is better than none, but it falling off at 6200RPM is a deal breaker for me.

What mod(s) cost less than that intake kit that give you more HP's??? I sure can't think of any.....
PV3 costs less and allegedly give you twice the HP, BUT...

I call BS on all the advertised gains. These dyno tests can (and are most likely) manipulated to sell products. Their true numbers are probably zero to half what they advertise.

For instance, there is a couple videos comparing 4 tunes to each other and none of them give the advertised HP gains. They all gave 1.5-3 HP gains compared to the 5 to 8 advertised.

It's all BS to take your hard earned money.

This filter does do one interesting thing though. It moves the intake to the upper fender opening and looks like it will drastically reduce the swirling dirty air introduced from the tire through the fender...

It puts the intake position here...

A little lower than stock but a much cleaner spot.

Nevada Notch

Nevada Notch

Jul 3, 2021
Carson City
Per their website..... "100,000 miles before servicing is needed depending on driving conditions".... yeah right! Just don't take it into the desert.

I have been using K&N Filters for too many years to count and the only way I use one of their filters is with a foam prefilter and a sock over all of that. Most K&N filters you can see through..... little to no protection by itself! And they are not that easy to clean after using them for off road applications.

I love the idea of replacing the factory filter box but.....

I think the whole point to this filter game is to get the filter intake opening out from the dust kicked up by the front tires or filter the air for the heavy particles before it reaches the factory filter!

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
My theory about the HP drop off is this something I learned from Eric Buell. A multi-cylinder engine requires a large air box so the cylinders can grab air. This K&N air box may be too small for the volume required at high rpm. They get away with the smaller air box through most of the RPM range because of additional air flow through the filter.

RZR has a small air filter box then further down the line a larger plenum to deliver large volumes of air to the throttle body or bodies then to the cylinders. It acts like an air receiver tank on a compressed air system. Honda accomplished this by making one huge air box that also houses the air filter.

Every ATV with a K&N I've ever seen, required overhaul. These filter may work great on vehicles but I don't like them for off road and dust. You have GOT to stay on top of oiling them!!

Relocating the intake to the side panel is an interesting take on the dirty air problem. However, this will cause a problem while washing the machine shooting mud and water into the intake tube. I have an X model and this side scoop gets full of mud.

I won't knock K&N for introducing a new product though. Good luck to them.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Relocating the intake to the side panel is an interesting take on the dirty air problem. However, this will cause a problem while washing the machine shooting mud and water into the intake tube. I have an X model and this side scoop gets full of mud.
I agree. Those scoops on my car are always packed with dirt and mud. The front tires on the R model are responsible for about 80% of how dirty the Talon gets riding/racing, I'm sure the X model is similar. Keeping it away from that scoop area and away from the inner fender well would be ideal.

H

HondaTech

PV3 costs less and allegedly give you twice the HP, BUT...

I call BS on all the advertised gains. These dyno tests can (and are most likely) manipulated to sell products. Their true numbers are probably zero to half what they advertise.

For instance, there is a couple videos comparing 4 tunes to each other and none of them give the advertised HP gains. They all gave 1.5-3 HP gains compared to the 5 to 8 advertised.

It's all BS to take your hard earned money.

This filter does do one interesting thing though. It moves the intake to the upper fender opening and looks like it will drastically reduce the swirling dirty air introduced from the tire through the fender...

View attachment 284606

It puts the intake position here...

View attachment 284607

A little lower than stock but a much cleaner spot.

Moved the intake from under the fender to a spot more likely to gather dust and mud.

The Jackson Turbo intake is pointed almost straight up into the fender and still collects mud and water. Even after we blocked off the two foward facing vents, water still finds its way in. They've since updated the instructions to drill holes in the bottom for drainage.

With thr K&N intake relocated to the side vent, any water that hits there will be sucked directly into the filter. Its the Pioneer underhood thing all over again. They only care about desert and out west riders, nobody builds stuff for east coast guys where it actually rains more than twice a year.

IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
It uses a K&N filter = deal breaker. K&N finishes in the bottom third of all filters tested in several online filter comparison tests. If used as a prefilter, in front of the stock filter, you'll 'get away with it' since it'll filter out the large rocks and squirrels.
I agree, Plus it looks like it draws air from the same location as the OEM setup which means a constant deit of dirty air being fed to the engine kicked up by the right rear tire.

sandbaja

sandbaja

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2021
San Diego, CA
Ownership

1. Talon R LV

2. Talon X4 LV
They only care about desert and out west riders, nobody builds stuff for east coast guys where it actually rains more than twice a year.
Wait...It rains more than twice a year? Where is this magical place you speak of?:D

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
It's been raining consistently in Texas since the beginning of February. We got 30" of rain accumulation in the month of May!! I'm out in New Mexico working this week and on Sunday they got 5" in one shot on top of it raining several times last week.

The freakin desert is super green this year! Looks soooo strange compared to the last 6yrs I've been coming out here to work.

20210720 070926

20210720 070947

Reactions: Dfoy08
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!