KRX discussion thread!

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I am 180* the opposite. I HATE paying any kind of tax most esp. for an offroad vehicle.
Can you put a street legal plate on your ATV or SxS where you live? The law has not caught up to how big and heavy these machine have become. Below 1800 lbs in AZ, we can get a street legal plate, and OHV sticker for a reasonable fee, and the VLT Fee is waived. With a horn, a license plate holder with a tag light, and a mirror we are street legal. No turn signals. Even a windshield is not required as long as you have eye protection. In most areas they don't even worry about DOT tires.

Last edited:
G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like it but my Talon is so good. I'm going to turn 14,000 miles tomorrow and nothing broke. I think the weight hurt the KRX sales. The belt drive should be very good but maintenance every 100 hours or 1,200 miles is a deal breaker for me. Its way better then a RZR belt drive. I like the hand brake, tires, and wheels, etc. I had 2 Teryx models and put on around 22,000 miles without any failures but the belt change was a real PITA. There should be 2 new 1,000 cc Yamahas in June.
Hmmm

H

HondaTech

I get that, and I am not an advocate of paying more fees.
Grew up in a time when using public land was free.

My point is that in Ohio (where I have worked a career job) if the vehicle is manufactured as "off road use" you can not street register it.
There are some ducks and dodges people have used but from my investigation there is significant liability risk.
Personally I think Arizona is in a golden age for UTV use.
Is some years we will look back and only wish it where so again.

Im a few years off from retierment but i have my small 1 acre plot outside Benson waiting.
Hopefully I can move there before too many more liberals from Kalifornia do.

You can apply to have the title changed to On-road and drive them on streets I believe with speed limits @ or below 45, I see plates on Pioneers and Talons all the time.

In KY, where I live, its up to the discretion of the county sheriff.

Reactions: TripleB
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have heard of two front hubs breaking at the lower a arm mount? Any thing to this?

Other wise looks pretty solid. I wish the seats and grab handle were a little more solid and less rattley.

I have read that when suspension is fully compressed there is an obstruction with steering lock and A-Arm. See photo from KRX owner.....
Screenshot 20200515 103118 Facebook

In that same post were 4 different owners who posted hubs broken in same place, 3 of 4 said they were rock crawling with sway bars disconnected.

Probably an easy remedy with a little grinder work.
Example of broken hub from contact stresses indicated above.....
FB IMG 1589552915272

Reactions: TripleB
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Yep, they casted a steering stop in the lower a arm but in some situations, it looks like the knuckle can get on top of the casting stop and stress it. Grinding the cast stop off seems to be the solution for now. It would be nice to have a real steering stop like cars do. Would help save axles when the tie rod goes.

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That makes since. The video i saw, the guy was crawling and it honestly did not look like a hard hit...

Reactions: Vikes79
advertisement
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can you put a street legal plate on your ATV or SxS where you live? The law has not caught up to how big and heavy these machine have become. Below 1800 lbs in AZ, we can get a street legal plate, and OHV sticker for a reasonable fee, and the VLT Fee is waived. With a horn, a license plate holder with a tag light, and a mirror we are street legal. No turn signals. Even a windshield is not required as long as you have eye protection. In most areas they don't even worry about DOT tires.
I have ZERO desire to make my PIK a street vehicle. I bought it for OFF road use ....... period. I have a car and truck for the highway.

J

JTW

Actually... they’re not even grinding the casted stop completely off, just taking enough off that it can no longer contact and “hang” in a specific set of circumstances.

J

JTW

I have ZERO desire to make my PIK a street vehicle. I bought it for OFF road use ....... period. I have a car and truck for the highway.
While I agree when it comes to use around here... and even if I want to drive it on the road it doesn’t matter here. When we go places to ride, saaay Moab. Where you can drive them on the roads if they’re tagged and where trails can be 10 miles from your camp. It would be handy to have some way to tag them for out of state use.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While I agree when it comes to use around here... and even if I want to drive it on the road it doesn’t matter here. When we go places to ride, saaay Moab. Where you can drive them on the roads if they’re tagged and where trails can be 10 miles from your camp. It would be handy to have some way to tag them for out of state use.
I guess I would just 'take my chance' for those 10 miles. Tax on$14.6K would be over $1300 PLUS lic/reg in La.

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Each to his own. Living in a state where there are thousands of miles of trails at hand, it is very convenient to not have to trailer to trailheads, not to mention riding into town for fuel and food. The majority of the land here is public land, both State Trust, and BLM. Also, when I go to Glamis I don't have to worry about green sticker/red sticker, as they accept AZ registration/OHV(not for street though).

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Its awsome to have the option to be street legal but a locked rear end really is a downer on hard surfaces. They heat up so much it will eat seals ruin your tires ect.

Reactions: BigOL3 and JTW
S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When we use to go to Moab, i spent the money and hassle to make my ride street legal. Another did not. They spent A LOT of money for the trip, only to be shutdown over not being street legal. They got caught. Some trail heads and exits are well over 20 miles apart. LOT of hassle to unload, have your trailer moved 20 miles, then get back to ride???

J

JTW

When we use to go to Moab, i spent the money and hassle to make my ride street legal. Another did not. They spent A LOT of money for the trip, only to be shutdown over not being street legal. They got caught. Some trail heads and exits are well over 20 miles apart. LOT of hassle to unload, have your trailer moved 20 miles, then get back to ride???
We haven’t had any issue... we were just told that if you’re not street legal stay to the side roads as much as possible and don’t be out on them after dark.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
What the require...
I know rules have changed now tho.

Reactions: Plumber32
advertisement