KRX discussion thread!

J

JTW

Back about 5 hours ago when I was discussing this with someone else and you high jacked my fact run down with him, I wouldn't buy anything other than the CAN-AM X3 with 195HP if I was going sport. Ive driven alot, and the KRX is definitely nice, I was impressed for the price its pretty awesome. Just I couldn't justify a sport machine without the turbo and the point is the cost of a turbo kit puts you at or above the cost of the CAN AM X3. My brother owns CAN AM machines and they have been pretty damn reliable. If I was even in the market for a sport ride that is non turbo I would buy the KRX for sure its impressive. For now due to having 5 kids I need the room and since I already have a quad and assortment of dirtbikes the sport machine will have to wait till a couple of those kids hit the road.
b**** please... it’s my thread and it’s me, you’re gunna get f***ed with regardless.

But.. I get it... if I were buying a turbo it would be the X3. We’ve got 3 kids and this purchase makes no sense, other than I’m tired of working on the damn pk5 after every ride with our core group from here and I’m retiring the pioneer to the family bus. I don’t disagree with you on the Honda and price for what you get. Hence, why I bought the KRX and not the talon. And while a turbo is fun to play with. It’s pointless for crawling.. This is going to be my overlanding vehicle, it’s made for the type of riding I’m going to do with it. 5 nights on the trail in Moab this fall would be a very difficult thing to do out of an X3.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
We have NO trails that 50mph is possible. Around here we call those dirt roads. We make fun of those that strictly run them showing off their high speed “technical” skills then can’t hit what we consider the lighter stuff because they are afraid of scratches or 10 point turns. Like I said turbo is totally useless in what I consider trails. They do make fast work of passing the motorhomes on the way into camp or parking lot race with kids around and have to be yelled at though.

Yep. And a some of our trails will require 3 point turns in a machine the size of the Pioneer 1000. Long wheelbase turbo machines? Good luck, they'll be left far behind. No BS, my 500 pioneer would leave the 1000 pioneer behind in some of our trails.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I still think the KRX is the best attempt by any company for a trail ready rig straight off the lot. I’m curious what Yamaha will bring but Kawasaki pretty well nailed it for a first debut in the segment. Just my two cents!.....cuz that’s all I have right now. Lol
From my Kawasaki,Yamaha dealer.

20200603 071614

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe this is a stupid thought and maybe out of place but if I had to spend much more money to get a good rock crawling SXS that would hold 4 people I would just build up an old Jeep, I have seen built up Jeeps with 4 wheel lockers go places that I don't think any SXS would have a chance and You can drive it down the road with a license plate from any State,,, just my thoughts if I was going to get much more aggressive in the 4x4 I think that is the route I would go,,,,,We where riding last week with 4 Turbo RZR`S a Can Am 2 Pioneer`s and a Gentleman with a built up Cherokee and the Cherokee done better on Crawling than anyone and at the end of the day He drove it to the restaurant with His Family We had to go back to camp and get the truck,,,,, :)
We have a Cherrokee and a dedicated crawler on 42" swampers. We like the comfort of the SXS. Took the Cherokee into Tackett over a month ago. Yea we drove it there and back. But beat us to death. The Crawler only comes out once or twice a year for places like Rattle Rock, Cadillac Hill etc. Cant cover the territory we do in the sxs.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yeah I have seen the pictures of some of the trails you guys putting your rigs sideways pulling them on the rocks and straight gunning it up rock faces....no thanks. I'm not trying to fix this ride every ride. I will say that where I'm at the Tahuya Forest has a 4x4 trail that is pretty narly and I wouldn't take my machine through all the lines I don't want my s*** f***** up. My buddy with the KRX though went through that with relative ease, that suspension setup is beast for that stuff.
You wouldn’t be talking about this place now would ya...

E62B6EA2 5045 4075 B915 ED4EA8C4D9EAFA4A5696 4210 4855 BBA2 76669C0F4D5B

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah I have seen the pictures of some of the trails you guys putting your rigs sideways pulling them on the rocks and straight gunning it up rock faces....no thanks. I'm not trying to fix this ride every ride. I will say that where I'm at the Tahuya Forest has a 4x4 trail that is pretty narly and I wouldn't take my machine through all the lines I don't want my s*** f***** up. My buddy with the KRX though went through that with relative ease, that suspension setup is beast for that stuff.

Jumping in declaring a Turbo is a requirement without truly understanding the discussion around the KRX/Talon doesn't make sense. You are ignoring the main points of the discussion and interjecting your opinion that was already cast from consideration before you shared it. For the purposes of this discussion centered around the KRX/Talon, Can-Am sucks with their: not quite 4WD, and noise levels that compare to sitting inside a 55gallon drum while a monkey beats on it with a pair of chainsaws. That said if I were looking for a bad ass dune machine the Can-AM would be in the lead, but I have gone up trails in a Pioneer 700-4 that a Can-am with a turbo was just spinning 3 wheels and hearing the blow off valve. Polaris well...Polaris, some of us have had them and they were never considered. Yamaha doesn't really have a competitor for the KRX or Talon yet, the YXZ takes 20k to get it to where it will do as well as the KRX and Talon will off the showroom floor, because of its gearing and motor design, and its design being more for short course racing but they are GREAT machines just not comparable to a Talon KRX for this discussion. Add to that the Talon has little space for gear and the KRK has a good bit more, while the Can-am and YXZ have none and you are left with two choices. The validity of a Turbo for certain types of riding is not being argued against. Now that I have paraphrased 31 pages of discussion.

Our group, really most of this thread, is not 5:30 riders (ride for 5 sit and bull**** for 30) so the dunes and gravel roads, seem incredibly boring to us, if that was where I had to ride I probably would be playing golf. That said everyone has what they like, but for some you get to a point where the bunny trails get really boring. So you try harder trails and you find the limits of yourself or the machine so now your challenge becomes can I set it up correctly/build it up/drive it, to take on the harder trails. Then they get boring so the cycle repeats. In most cases the views from the harder trails are AMAZING. That said I won't ride the single track that @CumminsPusher does its constant abuse and just doesn't seem fun. Most of our breaks are on a single obstacle that we tried a little to hard to get through. Yes dents and scratches are going to happen, but I stay away from places where I will roll over. This is my expensive hobby/stress relief, I don't play golf anymore, I don't hunt anymore, I don't add 20k in accessories to a truck to crawl the mall, I don't buy gallons of whiskey every weekend, or gamble, this is it. So now the discussion around cost becomes who has the best machine at the lowest entry point for what we want to do, knowing that we are still going to have to do work and build the machine up before we hit the trail with it.

The issue with the Talon is we already know its not up to "our" task and it needs to be brought up to where the KRX is and then some before we ever hit the trails with it. I added it up for myself about 6months ago and finding the Talon at $17k it was still an extra 12k (no turbo) to build it out, the KRX can be found at $17k and be decked out for about $4k extra and most of the accessories don't have to be MADE, they can be be bought straight from Kawasaki. You also don't have to spend all the time and effort swapping the parts out.

I am not buying a KRX, I chose a different path 6 months ago when I couldn't get a KRZ for less than 23k and I decided a Talon didn't fit my needs but saw no other available options, I think I will have my Pioneer to a place where it will compete capability wise with the KRX in most places, lose to it in a few, and beat it in a few. We will see shortly.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Jumping in declaring a Turbo is a requirement without truly understanding the discussion around the KRX/Talon doesn't make sense. You are ignoring the main points of the discussion and interjecting your opinion that was already cast from consideration before you shared it. For the purposes of this discussion centered around the KRX/Talon, Can-Am sucks with their: not quite 4WD, and noise levels that compare to sitting inside a 55gallon drum while a monkey beats on it with a pair of chainsaws. That said if I were looking for a bad ass dune machine the Can-AM would be in the lead, but I have gone up trails in a Pioneer 700-4 that a Can-am with a turbo was just spinning 3 wheels and hearing the blow off valve. Polaris well...Polaris, some of us have had them and they were never considered. Yamaha doesn't really have a competitor for the KRX or Talon yet, the YXZ takes 20k to get it to where it will do as well as the KRX and Talon will off the showroom floor, because of its gearing and motor design, and its design being more for short course racing but they are GREAT machines just not comparable to a Talon KRX for this discussion. Add to that the Talon has little space for gear and the KRK has a good bit more, while the Can-am and YXZ have none and you are left with two choices. The validity of a Turbo for certain types of riding is not being argued against. Now that I have paraphrased 31 pages of discussion.

Our group, ready most of this thread, is not 5:30 riders (ride for 5 sit and bull**** for 30) so the dunes and gravel roads, seem incredibly boring to us, if that was where I had to ride I probably would be playing golf. That said everyone has what they like, but for some you get to a point where the bunny trails get really boring. So you try harder trails and you find the limits of yourself or the machine so now your challenge becomes can I set it up correctly/build it up/drive it, to take on the harder trails. Then they get boring so the cycle repeats. In most cases the views from the harder trails are AMAZING. That said I won't ride the single track that @CumminsPusher does its constant abuse and just doesn't seem fun. Most of our breaks are on a single obstacle that we tried a little to hard to get through. Yes dents and scratches are going to happen, but I stay away from places where I will roll over. This is my expensive hobby/stress relief, I don't play golf anymore, I don't hunt anymore, I don't add 20k in accessories to a truck to crawl the mall, I don't buy gallons of whiskey every weekend, or gamble, this is it. So now the discussion around cost becomes who has the best machine at the lowest entry point for what we want to do, knowing that we are still going to have to do work and build the machine up before we hit the trail with it.

The issue with the Talon is we already know its not up to "our" task and it needs to be brought up to where the KRX is and then some before we ever hit the trails with it. I added it up for myself about 6months ago and finding the Talon at $17k it was still an extra 12k (no turbo) to build it out, the KRX can be found at $17k and be decked out for about $4k extra and most of the accessories don't have to be MADE, they can be be bought straight from Kawasaki. You also don't have to spend all the time and effort swapping the parts out.

I am not buying a KRX, I chose a different path 6 months ago when I couldn't get a KRZ for less than 23k and I decided a Talon didn't fit my needs but saw no other available options, think I will have my Pioneer to a place where it will compete capability wise with the KRX in most places, lose to it in a few, and beat it in a few. We will see shortly.
Nevermind that s***. The real question: How long it take you to type that?

J

JTW

I use to say the same... but one day I met some guys at takeover and it all started down hill from there!

advertisement
J

JTW

Our group, really most of this thread, is not 5:30 riders (ride for 5 sit and bull**** for 30) so the dunes and gravel roads, seem incredibly boring to us, if that was where I had to ride I probably would be playing golf. That said everyone has what they like, but for some you get to a point where the bunny trails get really boring. So you try harder trails and you find the limits of yourself or the machine so now your challenge becomes can I set it up correctly/build it up/drive it, to take on the harder trails. Then they get boring so the cycle repeats. In most cases the views from the harder trails are AMAZING. That said I won't ride the single track that @CumminsPusher does its constant abuse and just doesn't seem fun. Most of our breaks are on a single obstacle that we tried a little to hard to get through. Yes dents and scratches are going to happen, but I stay away from places where I will roll over. This is my expensive hobby/stress relief, I don't play golf anymore, I don't hunt anymore, I don't add 20k in accessories to a truck to crawl the mall, I don't buy gallons of whiskey every weekend, or gamble, this is it. So now the discussion around cost becomes who has the best machine at the lowest entry point for what we want to do, knowing that we are still going to have to do work and build the machine up before we hit the trail with it.

I am not buying a KRX, I chose a different path 6 months ago when I couldn't get a KRZ for less than 23k and I decided a Talon didn't fit my needs but saw no other available options, I think I will have my Pioneer to a place where it will compete capability wise with the KRX in most places, lose to it in a few, and beat it in a few. We will see shortly.
Nailed it..

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use to say the same... but one day I met some guys at takeover and it all started down hill from there!
I agree, I had never really been on a trail system until my first Takeover. What I thought was rough and crazy then is what I consider bunny slopes now. It’s a progression for sure and I constantly spend money on my rig and think about the next time I get to ride.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Dunes=boring??? Have you ever been to real dunes? 200 square miles of WFO is hardly boring.
Middle of the dunes...boring to me. If I ain’t scratching or tearing plastics off it’s not fun. It’s like a single jet ski in the middle of a big lake trying to find someone’s wake. Obstacles are everything. There are a couple dunes not far away, been several times. Family gets bored in 4-5 hours. They would’ve given up on me 15 years ago. Definitely not gunna camp in the middle of the sand, and we average 20-30 camp weekends a year, that would be excruciating! You ever been on a good night ride banging on trees at tipping point crawling over rocks with a big group all lit up?

Last edited:
advertisement