Lets talk Radios again... Pioneer takeover!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I can send you a file i have set up already... Chirp uses the old FRS and GMRS layout of frequencies and not the 2017 updates ones... so just be aware if you use theirs ... Basically in 2017 they combined them and some freq are the same.

View attachment 197745

I'll send you a DM for the file
Thanks for the .icf file for the channels.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just want to call out that these are the new edition radios that lock out the FRS and GMRS Freq - meaning they will not transmit on those freq. - unless you unlock them... see the circled instructions below - I do not know if you have to do this every time the radio is turned on or if one time works going forward

View attachment 118995

See previous post for FRS frequency’s
The radio I bought as 15
I just bought a Rugged Radio RM60-V and I know spit about radios, been on the internet looking up radios for dummies, the sites just don't go low enough, need to find some sites for radio idiots. VHF and HF, what do most radios use, I just want to communication in the woods, VHF is basically line of site, ultra clear and HF uses skip transmission from what I understand? The radio I have has 15 channels to talk on and 2 that you only can listen to, do I need to send it off for programing or are the 15 channels enough for the trails? Thanks in advance!

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The radio I bought as 15
I just bought a Rugged Radio RM60-V and I know spit about radios, been on the internet looking up radios for dummies, the sites just don't go low enough, need to find some sites for radio idiots. VHF and HF, what do most radios use, I just want to communication in the woods, VHF is basically line of site, ultra clear and HF uses skip transmission from what I understand? The radio I have has 15 channels to talk on and 2 that you only can listen to, do I need to send it off for programing or are the 15 channels enough for the trails? Thanks in advance!
First a RR should have come programmed

Reactions: Dp5hunter
elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Depending upon the radio it if VHF but could be UHF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm with you @Smitty335, I got my radios from @Tramguage1 and don't have a clue what the hell I'm doing, tho he did get me great radios at a great price. I got them for the takeover thinking I'd get there and have lots of help, but we know what went on there.😞

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Spektrum84

Spektrum84

Aug 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. Talon X
The radio I bought as 15
I'm still very new to radios. I've passed the amateur radio tech exam and have been studying for my general. From what I can tell the RM60-V is sold as a preprogrammed radio that doesn't require the operator to have a license to transmit. This is because the radio is programmed to use frequencies set by Rugged Radios and approved by the FCC. I think the license is attached to the device in this case. The frequencies they use are outside the amateur radio bands, so you wont be talking to anyone using a HAM radio that's operating it within the licensed limits. You'll only be able to hear and talk to other people using Rugged Radio products on the same channel.

OK, subbing to this. I do have a question for those using a TYT TH-8600: my radio, new, appears to be locked on 450 MHz and locked in memory mode. Pressing the V/M button doesn't switch from memory to VFO mode, but holding the V/M button will allow me to save a memory slot. So it's stuck in memory mode on 450MHz and I can't get it to VFO mode. I've seen instructions to unlock the range from 450-460 to the full amateur range. Does this unlock the VFO/MEM mode selection as well?

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I'm still very new to radios. I've passed the amateur radio tech exam and have been studying for my general. From what I can tell the RM60-V is sold as a preprogrammed radio that doesn't require the operator to have a license to transmit. This is because the radio is programmed to use frequencies set by Rugged Radios and approved by the FCC. I think the license is attached to the device in this case. The frequencies they use are outside the amateur radio bands, so you wont be talking to anyone using a HAM radio that's operating it within the licensed limits. You'll only be able to hear and talk to other people using Rugged Radio products on the same channel.

OK, subbing to this. I do have a question for those using a TYT TH-8600: my radio, new, appears to be locked on 450 MHz and locked in memory mode. Pressing the V/M button doesn't switch from memory to VFO mode, but holding the V/M button will allow me to save a memory slot. So it's stuck in memory mode on 450MHz and I can't get it to VFO mode. I've seen instructions to unlock the range from 450-460 to the full amateur range. Does this unlock the VFO/MEM mode selection as well?
@Ragnar406 wasn't this what happened to mine at Mulberry and you were able to unlock and reprogram?

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Ragnar406 wasn't this what happened to mine at Mulberry and you were able to unlock and reprogram?
Yes

Yes @Spektrum84 if you will try two things

1. Look in the upper right hand corner of the screen and see if you see a key symbol - if so that means the LOCK is on the radio (key button lock) see below .
if that symbol is there: do the following
Press the third button down on the left side "F" then press the top button on the left side labeled "Lo / blue Key symbol" - this is the procedure to lock and unlock the keys of the radio and Mic

if that does not work or if the key symbol is not shown try the following:

To unlock make sure that the TH-8600 is turned off. Hold the "LO" (top left) button and the "A/B" (bottom right) button while turning the TH-8600 on.

Spektrum84

Spektrum84

Aug 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yes

Yes @Spektrum84 if you will try two things

1. Look in the upper right hand corner of the screen and see if you see a key symbol - if so that means the LOCK is on the radio (key button lock) see below .
if that symbol is there: do the following
Press the third button down on the left side "F" then press the top button on the left side labeled "Lo / blue Key symbol" - this is the procedure to lock and unlock the keys of the radio and Mic

View attachment 218459

if that does not work or if the key symbol is not shown try the following:

To unlock make sure that the TH-8600 is turned off. Hold the "LO" (top left) button and the "A/B" (bottom right) button while turning the TH-8600 on.

I don’t remember the lock symbol being on. I’ll check it when I get home. I think the unlock procedure you described is my best shot at getting it working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
It also can be a setting in the radio that you can only get to via a programming cable and programming software

Reactions: Spektrum84
Spektrum84

Spektrum84

Aug 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. Talon X
It also can be a setting in the radio that you can only get to via a programming cable and programming software

The box included the programming cable and a little software disc. Also seen there are some places to download the software, too. Sounds like I have a couple things I can try 👍 . The packaging box included a standard sheet of paper printout of the"hold these 2 buttons and then power on" instructions. Maybe that should have clued me in.

Reactions: Ragnar406
elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The box included the programming cable and a little software disc. Also seen there are some places to download the software, too. Sounds like I have a couple things I can try . The packaging box included a standard sheet of paper printout of the"hold these 2 buttons and then power on" instructions. Maybe that should have clued me in.

That three button start up routine actually unlocks the frequencies in the FRS and GMRS rangers of the radio. The FCC required TYT and a few other radio manufacturers to lock those frequencies out because the radios are not type rated for those frequencies by the FCC

Spektrum84

Spektrum84

Aug 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. Talon X
That three button start up routine actually unlocks the frequencies in the FRS and GMRS rangers of the radio. The FCC required TYT and a few other radio manufacturers to lock those frequencies out because the radios are not type rated for those frequencies by the FCC

That's what I was thinking too. I don't have any intention of using frequencies outside the 2m/70cm amateur bands so that's why I hadn't tried it. But I guess it also unlocks my problem because it fixed my problem. V/M button now switches between modes and I can make adjustments like one would expect. I'll try the software sometime tonight and see what I can do with it.

Reactions: Mudder

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!