Lets talk Radios again... Pioneer takeover!

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It is funny how in different hobbies people will share the same common interests in certain areas, for Years me and my Brother where into remote control airplane and helicopters and most all of the older crowd that was into that where Ham operators, technically years ago You had to be a ham to operate the radio equipment that controlled the aircraft, I still have some airplanes but haven't flown in a few year's ,,,,,,:)👍

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It is funny how in different hobbies people will share the same common interests in certain areas, for Years me and my Brother where into remote control airplane and helicopters and most all of the older crowd that was into that where Ham operators, technically years ago You had to be a ham to operate the radio equipment that controlled the aircraft, I still have some airplanes but haven't flown in a few year's ,,,,,,:)👍
Think a few of you HAM guys should start a thread with radio info and discussions. May get more people interested in getting there licence

D

Dasmoeturhead

On another note, I got my amateur technician’s license today. KI5IJQ.

Congratulations on getting your Technicians License. It's a great hobby. I always have my HT in the pioneer. I bought a Signal Stick antenna (Amazon), and the external speaker/Mic. I attach all of it to the the nets next to me. Works good. I talk to my pal across town (5 MI) all the time, and we live in a very mountainous area. I tried a mobile type, but didn't like getting it wet. With the HT, I can take it out real easy to protect it. I also have a 40 watt portable amp I can use with the HT. I hardly ever use that. Again, congrats on your ticket.
73 W4MKC

Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes, We will be in probably wed. Mid day, I am sure and I have heard it said that there will be a few there that are well versed and with the proper equipment to get Your radio working good and programmed if You don't get it beforehand I am sure You will be fine when You get there,,, Look Forward to meeting You there ,,,,
Hey, good news, I got the dang mini disk for the radio program out of the iMac.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey, good news, I got the dang mini disk for the radio program out of the iMac.
The Manuel's on any of these radios aren't the greatest, the best way to learn that radio is just set down with it and monkey with it, I made me a little cheat sheet for quick reference to key features and frequencies so I wouldn't forget, I laminated it and stuck it to the roof of the Pioneer next to the radio, I didn't use that disc or the cable I just manually programmed the channels in , it is really not that hard to program manually, put it in VFO mode program frequency and put it in memory, if You are using it to transmit on FRS channels You don't need to program tone or a shift that is for bringing up a repeater,,,,
IMG 20200125 134049118

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think there is a sequence that you can unlock radio I am not sure what that is but I think maybe @Tramguage1
Or @Ragnar406
May be able to help,,,,,,
I will be happy to have help fixing it. I am going to try and get to the takeover as early Friday as I can. I may get a back up just in case.
Try Pressing LO + AB key while turning on the radio - I had to do this to several radios this past weekend. Also the Radio’s looked like they were transmitting but until we pressed that combo of keys they were not able to be heard.

. Due to FCC Policies, the newest stock of the TH-8600 radios were locked in 150-160/450-460MHz, please follow the steps to unlock the frequency range:❤❤{Press LO + AB Key To turn on radio. switch between normal frequency band and special frequency band 150~160 450~460 MHZ}, HESENATE x TYT Mobile Transceiver Series, ONE YEAR U.S Based Warranty, Warehouse (Domestic Return) in CA State--No Further Return Issue.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We will have a laptop and all the cables required at the check in tent. Shouldn't take too long to update the radios.
If you are going to use Chirp to program I recommend not using their auto import of FRS and GRMS frequencies and channels. They were updated in 2017 by the FCC and Chirp still uses the old list.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The Manuel's on any of these radios aren't the greatest, the best way to learn that radio is just set down with it and monkey with it, I made me a little cheat sheet for quick reference to key features and frequencies so I wouldn't forget, I laminated it and stuck it to the roof of the Pioneer next to the radio, I didn't use that disc or the cable I just manually programmed the channels in , it is really not that hard to program manually, put it in VFO mode program frequency and put it in memory, if You are using it to transmit on FRS channels You don't need to program tone or a shift that is for bringing up a repeater,,,,
View attachment 187522
How do you have the radio mounted through the roof?

Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 187522
Farmtimpioneer, I owe you a big thanks. I continued to fool around with the TYT8600 and finally got some channels programed manually. Once I got back to where I could use VFO, I worked the bugs out. I may try to document what I did so others can put in their freq. All one would need to do is have the numbers. I programed a couple of local repeaters and everything worked great. I also got the larger SS cup holders installed. Thanks again for your advice.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Farmtimpioneer, I owe you a big thanks. I continued to fool around with the TYT8600 and finally got some channels programed manually. Once I got back to where I could use VFO, I worked the bugs out. I may try to document what I did so others can put in their freq. All one would need to do is have the numbers. I programed a couple of local repeaters and everything worked great. I also got the larger SS cup holders installed. Thanks again for your advice.
Great, I don't know if You already have the FRS channels but if not it is listed on the very first post of this thread,,,, It is very helpful to create a cheat sheet that you understand when you learn how to do an operation then write it down in short form as a reference, if You are anything like me unless You use one of these things everyday You will forget,,,,,;) 👍

Reactions: TripleB and BWAF
Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Great, I don't know if You already have the FRS channels but if not it is listed on the very first post of this thread,,,, It is very helpful to create a cheat sheet that you understand when you learn how to do an operation then write it down in short form as a reference, if You are anything like me unless You use one of these things everyday You will forget,,,,,;) 👍
Yes sir you are correct about that. If I don't use it over and over I'll forget it. That's why I'll right it down. I may go ahead an plug in the channels we will use at RRB in April.

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
My father in law passed away 2 years ago and was an electrical engineer and had been a ham operator since his younger years when he lived in Halifax Canada.
After his passing we have his entire ham shack.
Radios, antenna mast and every piece of test equipment he had, the wife and I have discussed getting our HAM license many times but are now working toward to getting it done aggressively.
His call sign was obviously W8VR.
This neon sign was made by a very dear friend (KG8TB) of his whom we have the pleasure of knowing well and to have as a dear and trusted friend also.

20200219 135602

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!