Lets talk Radios again... Pioneer takeover!

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My father in law passed away 2 years ago and was an electrical engineer and had been a ham operator since his younger years when he lived in Halifax Canada.
After his passing we have his entire ham shack.
Radios, antenna mast and every piece of test equipment he had, the wife and I have discussed getting our HAM license many times but are now working toward to getting it done aggressively.
His call sign was obviously W8VR.
This neon sign was made by a very dear friend (KG8TB) of his whom we have the pleasure of knowing well and to have as a dear and trusted friend also.

View attachment 187955
''Very Nice'' Ham Radio is a very good hobby that teaches many things, it is a good thing to keep alive,,, ;)👍

Reactions: Glock21user
Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My father in law passed away 2 years ago and was an electrical engineer and had been a ham operator since his younger years when he lived in Halifax Canada.
Radios, antenna mast and every piece of test equipment he had, the wife and I have discussed getting our HAM license many times but are now working toward to getting it done aggressively.
This neon sign was made by a very dear friend (KG8TB) of his whom we have the pleasure of knowing well and to have as a dear and trusted friend also.

View attachment 187955
Wow!! How cool is that. I think you should get your license and learn how to make his equipment live again.

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
Wow!! How cool is that. I think you should get your license and learn how to make his equipment live again.
That my friend is the goal.
My wife grew up listening to radio chatter at all hours and actively misses it.
I have a few aerial shots of his place with his tower from years back as he the wife and mother-in-law would fly over and take photos.
His loop antenna was strung up around the perimeter of the house, driveway and back yard for a total length of approximately 1500 feet of hard drawn copper we removed also and plan to install on our property here at home.
I was thinking of starting a thread for HAM folks to share information but wasn't sure it was worth it, I am now rethinking that.

Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That my friend is the goal.
My wife grew up listening to radio chatter at all hours and actively misses it.
I have a few aerial shots of his place with his tower from years back as he the wife and mother-in-law would fly over and take photos.
His loop antenna was strung up around the perimeter of the house, driveway and back yard for a total length of approximately 1500 feet of hard drawn copper we removed also and plan to install on our property here at home.
I was thinking of starting a thread for HAM folks to share information but wasn't sure it was worth it, I am now rethinking that.
Do it. I'm still new at ham but would love to learn more.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 187955
There is a way that if you get your ticket you or your wife could apply and get his call sign

Reactions: Glock21user
Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There is a way that if you get your ticket you or your wife could apply and get his call sign
That is very true. That was one of the test questions for my Technicians license. Any licensed amateur radio operator may apply for a different call sign.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I went from a radio that used chirp to program channels, it died. Replaced it with the TYT TH-6800 model which of course uses a proprietary program app and format. Can anyone share an already made up channel file with the .icf extension to list with all the FRS GMRS for the TH-6800 format. Just dread of entering everything manually. Just upload it to the reply or , via PM or will give email address for an attachment, etc.

TYT top

Chirp bottom
20200417 164909

@Hondasxs @Firemedic530 @Ragnar406

@JTW

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@Ragnar406 hooked me up at Mulberry, he should have you covered
Thanks, didn't realize program autofilled repeat data. Got FRS/GMRS channels 1-22 & Weather channels 1-7 in no problem already. So I got the basics covered if I didn't make any mistakes 👍

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went from a radio that used chirp to program channels, it died. Replaced it with the TYT TH-6800 model which of course uses a proprietary program app and format. Can anyone share an already made up channel file with the .icf extension to list with all the FRS GMRS for the TH-6800 format. Just dread of entering everything manually. Just upload it to the reply or , via PM or will give email address for an attachment, etc.

TYT top

Chirp bottom
View attachment 197723

@JTW
I can send you a file i have set up already... Chirp uses the old FRS and GMRS layout of frequencies and not the 2017 updates ones... so just be aware if you use theirs ... Basically in 2017 they combined them and some freq are the same.

I'll send you a DM for the file

Reactions: JACKAL
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

TYT top

Chirp bottom
View attachment 197723

@JTW
I have it @JACKAL
I can email the file when I get back to the house.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Are those radios you and I are dealing on going to be programmed with these channels? Is there any kind of booklet/handout, something like a radio for dummies type book, I don't know jack about this stuff.
Yes sir they will be programmed to match the larger mobile units.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
73s from KB9RVJ. Do you have a rig on your SXS?

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2x3 region 9? Just started studying to get my license. All of this stuff is way over my head though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hamtestonline.com is a good testing site to practice. The test really teaches you about the rules. Join a local club as well and you will get hooked quick

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand

TYT top

Chirp bottom
View attachment 197723

@JTW
I have it if you don't get one.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!