P1000 Light Truck Tires

Guitaraustin99

Guitaraustin99

Feb 5, 2019
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hey all, p700 owner here. I have a set of BF Goodrich KM2s and 15in wheels ordered. What kind of tire pressure are you guys running with light truck tires? Thanks!

Z

zandroid

Jan 12, 2019
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey all, p700 owner here. I have a set of BF Goodrich KM2s and 15in wheels ordered. What kind of tire pressure are you guys running with light truck tires? Thanks!

I'm running 12 psi on all 4 of mine. @BWAF is running 9 in front and 11 in the rear on his. See his post earlier in this thread with pictures of his rig for details.

Reactions: BWAF
Z

zandroid

Jan 12, 2019
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks everyone who provided information on the light truck tires. I ordered these Qaudboss Scoville Boss wheels, 15x7 5+2 4/137, for $34 each shipped! It looks like these are on closeout at many retailers; eBay, Amazon, and various power sports shops.
https://www.amazon.com/QuadBoss-Scoville-Boss-Wheel-RT-GW17A157137DBB/dp/B017OF96G2?tag=sxsweb24-20

Quadboss Scoville Boss 15x7 Matte Black Wheels - Just For Fun Honda

I looked at different tires and settled on these Centennial Dirt Commander M/T in 235/75R15. I liked the look of the tread and the aggressive sidewall. Looking up the DOT number on the tires says they are made by Dunlop in India. I found those for $380 shipped on SimpleTire with a coupon they offer for new orders.
$108.97 - Centennial Dirt Commander M/T LT235/75R-15 tires | Buy Centennial Dirt Commander M/T tires at SimpleTire

I used High Lifter 1" wheel spacers on the rears. I mainly picked them because it was tough to find spacers with M12x1.5 studs and they advertised using grade 8 studs. SuperATV wheel spacers also use the M12x1.5 studs, but it was not in the product listing and I already ordered the High Lifter by the time they replied to my email.

IMG 20190320 190441 2 Tire Tread

If anyone is interested I weighed the stock front and rear wheels and tires and my new wheels and tires. The stock front is 36 lbs, stock rear is 40 lbs, and my new wheels and tires are 52 lbs. Centennial's website states the tire should weight 40 lbs. I did not weight the tires before mounting.

Stock Rear Stock Front IMG 20190315 184416

Overall I'm very pleased with the way the new tires handle and ride and the way the wheels dressed up the Pioneer from the stock wheels. The tires are very smooth and quiet on hard surfaces. The new tires handle much better and are more predictable than stock. I didn't realize how loud the stock tires are on pavement. The new tires are also less prone to track or wander in ruts or well worn tracks. The new tires are stiffer, but in a good way that makes the Pioneer feel more planted and stable. There is some slight power loss; most noticeable when starting off in high gear. The engine braking is slower to stop it from speed, but I think it makes the Pioneer less jerky. I definitely have to use the brake pedal more, but not excessively.

Mounted, the Centennials measured right at 29 inches laying on the ground before installing. The tires had 45 psi from the tire shop. After installing I aired them down to 11 psi. I tried that for a day but felt a little mushy. I went to 14 psi and that was definitely too stiff. I ended up at 12-12.5 psi but may play around with it some more.

After letting the tires settle at 11 or 12 psi they measure 28 inches or a little less. Mine do not rub unless I'm at full lock and the wheel articulates over a large bump or something. Even then its minor.

I did have to adjust the steering rods to get the wheels aligned. I used a 2x4 to align the fronts to the rears. Not especially scientific but it appears to work based on driving feel and looking at wear on the treads.

Last edited:
Pmed489

Pmed489

Sep 29, 2017
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks everyone who provided information on the light truck tires. I ordered these Qaudboss Scoville Boss wheels, 15x7 5+2 4/137, for $34 each shipped! It looks like these are on closeout at many retailers; eBay, Amazon, and various power sports shops.
https://www.amazon.com/QuadBoss-Scoville-Boss-Wheel-RT-GW17A157137DBB/dp/B017OF96G2?tag=sxsweb24-20

Quadboss Scoville Boss 15x7 Matte Black Wheels - Just For Fun Honda

I looked at different tires and settled on these Centennial Dirt Commander M/T in 235/75R15. I liked the look of the tread and looking up the DOT number on the tires says they are made by Dunlop in India. I found those for $380 shipped on SimpleTire with a coupon they offer for new orders.
$108.97 - Centennial Dirt Commander M/T LT235/75R-15 tires | Buy Centennial Dirt Commander M/T tires at SimpleTire

I used High Lifter 1" wheel spacers. I mainly picked them because it was tough to find spacers with M12x1.5 studs and they advertised using grade 8 studs. SuperATV wheel spacers also use the M12x1.5 studs, but it was not in the product listing and I already ordered the High Lifter by the time they replied to my email.

View attachment 116427 View attachment 116428 View attachment 116429

If anyone is interested I weighed the stock front and rear wheels and tires and my new wheels and tires. The stock front is 36 lbs, stock rear is 40 lbs, and my new wheels and tires are 52 lbs. Centennial's website states the tire should weight 40 lbs. I did not weight the tires before mounting.

View attachment 116431 View attachment 116432 View attachment 116433

Overall I'm very pleased with the way the new tires handle and ride and the way the wheels dressed up the Pioneer from the stock wheels. The tires are very smooth and quiet on hard surfaces. The new tires handle much better and are more predictable than stock. I didn't realize how loud the stock tires are on pavement. The new tires are also less prone to track or wander in ruts or well worn tracks. The new tires are stiffer, but in a good way that makes the Pioneer feel more planted and stable. There is some slight power loss; most noticeable when starting off in high gear. The engine braking is slower to stop it from speed, but I think it makes the Pioneer less jerky. I definitely have to use the brake pedal more, but not excessively.

did you have to do any mods for the bigger rims other than spaces

Z

zandroid

Jan 12, 2019
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
did you have to do any mods for the bigger rims other than spaces

No, I only added spacers to the rear to make the rear wheels even with the front. You only need the spacers for aesthetics. Otherwise the rear wheels are inboard an inch. The tallest tire you can run without a lift is 28 inches.

Reactions: ChadD and BWAF
B

Blake0024

Jun 26, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
thinking about taking the plunge as well. Did the change in tires affect your speedometer at all?

No, I only added spacers to the rear to make the rear wheels even with the front. You only need the spacers for aesthetics. Otherwise the rear wheels are inboard an inch. The tallest tire you can run without a lift is 28 inches.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@zandroid your set up looks great. I think u got a steal with those wheels. I run 15’s and like them. The continental tires look good and similar to my Achilles MT’s. Nice write up too.

@Blake0024, any time you change your tire size from the stock ones on your pioneer your speed will change a bit. If you google it, there’s a quick calculator to see the difference in the original tire and the new tires for your mph difference. Mine changed going to the 30” tires but to me it wasn’t enough to have to worry about it imo.

Reactions: zandroid and BWAF
Guitaraustin99

Guitaraustin99

Feb 5, 2019
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm running 12 psi on all 4 of mine. @BWAF is running 9 in front and 11 in the rear on his. See his post earlier in this thread with pictures of his rig for details.

Aired them down to 13psi and went for a test ride. This thing rides ROUGH. Gonna soften the shocks up a notch and try again. Possibly air them down to 10.

IMG 20190323 150851

Reactions: BWAF and Mudwing
Guitaraustin99

Guitaraustin99

Feb 5, 2019
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 700-2
Aired them down to 13psi and went for a test ride. This thing rides ROUGH. Gonna soften the shocks up a notch and try again. Possibly air them down to 10.

View attachment 117385

UPDATE: Took a notch out of the shocks, aired down to 10psi (using a different gauge, it read 18 when I thought they were 13 on my old gauge). This this rides better than ever! Also went for a test ride down a West Virginia red clay road in the rain and these tires really bite! Thanks for the input everyone!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone consider buying the roadhazard warranty on their light truck tires?

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I just put wheels and tires on my 1000 but couldnt turn down a set of 15" wheels for $134.96 shipped. UPS shows them being delivered today. Guess I'll put them up until I need them or run across a good deal on some 15" tires.

Reactions: ChadD and BWAF
A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I just put wheels and tires on my 1000 but couldnt turn down a set of 15" wheels for $134.96 shipped. UPS shows them being delivered today. Guess I'll put them up until I need them or run across a good deal on some 15" tires.

I'm watching the price on a set of 4 15in mud tires free shipping $317, also waiting to see if Amazon will price match those rims.

Reactions: BWAF and Bad_bowtie
B

Blake0024

Jun 26, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I couldn't pass them up either. I found a pretty decent deal on falken wildpeak all terrain tires (86.50 per tire @ walmart.com). In the winter I do a fair amount of woods trail riding but primarily use my side by side for duck hunting. It gets extremely sloppy- to the point where it's even a struggle for the Maxxis big horns that came stock on my machine. In the summer I take my side by side out to my family lake house and primarily ride on asphalt or gravel. I felt like no light truck mud tire was going to be able to handle the straight gumbo that I drive through during duck season anyways, and knowing I was going to be committed to switching the tires out in the winter I was able to save both money and weight with an AT tire. Of course I know there are probably cheaper alternatives available, but I've heard good things about the wildpeaks on full-size trucks. I'm also hoping hoping for a little less road noise and maybe even a little softer ride. Everything will be arriving this week and I plan to rig them up this weekend. I'll be sure to post some feedback after I do some riding.

Last edited:
Reactions: BWAF and Bad_bowtie
B

Blake0024

Jun 26, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Alright guys, got them on this weekend. Didn't get to do a ton of driving but did get a chance to take them down the road. First impressions are as follows :
-Road noise from tires was almost non-existent, which was a big change from the factory Maxxis Bighorns.
-As others have said, definitely took a little more brake to stop, but did not seem excessive.
-Overall I did not feel a large change in power although it did seem noticeable that the wheels and tires were heavier.
-Ride seemed smoother all-together although I did notice I was able to feel the speed bumps on the road I was driving on a little more.

For now tires are set at 14psi- may go to 12 but wanted to do a little more driving first. Tires were close to 29" tall initially, but after deflating they settled down closer to 28". Going to do my best to measure toe and camber and adjust if necessary at a later date.

*Side note: I've looked around the forum and haven't had much luck finding a tutorial for adjusting toe and camber- could anyone help me out there?
IMG 1639

IMG 1633
IMG 1635
IMG 1637
IMG 1638

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Alright guys, got them on this weekend. Didn't get to do a ton of driving but did get a chance to take them down the road. First impressions are as follows :
-Road noise from tires was almost non-existent, which was a big change from the factory Maxxis Bighorns.
-As others have said, definitely took a little more brake to stop, but did not seem excessive.
-Overall I did not feel a large change in power although it did seem noticeable that the wheels and tires were heavier.
-Ride seemed smoother all-together although I did notice I was able to feel the speed bumps on the road I was driving on a little more.

For now tires are set at 14psi- may go to 12 but wanted to do a little more driving first. Tires were close to 29" tall initially, but after deflating they settled down closer to 28". Going to do my best to measure toe and camber and adjust if necessary at a later date.

*Side note: I've looked around the forum and haven't had much luck finding a tutorial for adjusting toe and camber- could anyone help me out there?
View attachment 119412

View attachment 119408 View attachment 119409 View attachment 119410 View attachment 119411
With stock arms, all you can do is set the toe and let it go.

I made a set of turnplates for mine when I did the alignment.
I used HD lazy susan bearings, attached a square of plywood and drove the machine on. I wanted to make sure my wheel was centered on the shaft, so I toed them all the way out, and centered on a mark on the frame. Checked my wheel, made any corrections I wanted, then set the toe on the front 1/16" in.

Reactions: BWAF and Blake0024
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Where did you get them for this price shipped? I tried the dealer but they were charging tax and shipping

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Wow that is a great deal on wheels. The only thing to watch out for is the load rating is a little lower than I would like @ 573-727 lbs. other than that it is a heck of a deal, congrats on your new rims, they do look sharp!

Dont know if or when I'll use them, I had just put STI wheels and Terrabites on my 1000, but couldnt turn down another set thay cheap. May find some cheap street tires to just run around town on.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 119412

View attachment 119408 View attachment 119409 View attachment 119410 View attachment 119411
Looks good I run 9 in the front and 11 in the rear

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Remington

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!