P500 Lightbar Wiring

Nathan_HogsFan

Nathan_HogsFan

Dec 21, 2015
NE Arkansas
I have searched all through the forums trying to find the answer to this question and haven't found it so I am just gonna post so I can finally get it resolved. I recently installed a new lightbar. I bought the wiring and the Honda sub harness from Amazon. I cannot figure out which ports I am supposed to use on the sub harness. I tried putting hot from the light bar on the red wire of the harness and ground from the lightbar on the white wire both using the female connectors on the wire harness and that did not work. I tried switching the hot from the lightbar from the red wire on the harness to the green wire on the harness and still had no luck.. Please Help!

C

Chooglin

Dumb question, but are you turning the key on for power ? The key must be on to get power to the accessory harness !!!

Nathan_HogsFan

Nathan_HogsFan

Dec 21, 2015
NE Arkansas
Dumb question, but are you turning the key on for power ? The key must be on to get power to the accessory harness !!!
Yes I have the key on when I tried it. I seen one thing where they had the hot plugged into the green wire on the harness and just had the ground grounded on the frame I think I am gonna try that when I get home.

D

Deleted member 3748

I have searched all through the forums trying to find the answer to this question and haven't found it so I am just gonna post so I can finally get it resolved. I recently installed a new lightbar. I bought the wiring and the Honda sub harness from Amazon. I cannot figure out which ports I am supposed to use on the sub harness. I tried putting hot from the light bar on the red wire of the harness and ground from the lightbar on the white wire both using the female connectors on the wire harness and that did not work. I tried switching the hot from the lightbar from the red wire on the harness to the green wire on the harness and still had no luck.. Please Help!

The Honda harness has 4 individual connections you can make. 2 of them have two wires (positive and negative) and the other 2 only have one wire (positive). What I think you did here was connected to the red individual connection (positive) and the white individual connection, which has both but you could be connected to the positive. Try connecting the hot from the light bar to the red wire on the harness and put the ground from the light bar onto a frame ground. You're going to have to sand the paint off of a part of the frame to get a good ground. I removed a bolt from the frame and sanded the paint off. Then I put a ring terminal on the end of the wire, put the bolt through the ring terminal and put it back in the frame.

I rarely use a wire as a ground, even if it tests as a ground because you can't rely on them to be actual grounds. Frame grounds are a sure thing.

Reactions: Chooglin
Nathan_HogsFan

Nathan_HogsFan

Dec 21, 2015
NE Arkansas
The Honda harness has 4 individual connections you can make. 2 of them have two wires (positive and negative) and the other 2 only have one wire (positive). What I think you did here was connected to the red individual connection (positive) and the white individual connection, which has both but you could be connected to the positive. Try connecting the hot from the light bar to the red wire on the harness and put the ground from the light bar onto a frame ground. You're going to have to sand the paint off of a part of the frame to get a good ground. I removed a bolt from the frame and sanded the paint off. Then I put a ring terminal on the end of the wire, put the bolt through the ring terminal and put it back in the frame.

I rarely use a wire as a ground, even if it tests as a ground because you can't rely on them to be actual grounds. Frame grounds are a sure thing.
Yea I finally got it fixed by using the green as hot and just grounded to the frame thanks for explaining the wire harness I was thinking that might have been how it worked. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
D

Deleted member 3748

Yea I finally got it fixed by using the green as hot and just grounded to the frame thanks for explaining the wire harness I was thinking that might have been how it worked. Thanks for your help.
Great!

CaboJim

CaboJim

Nov 1, 2018
Washougal WA
Ownership

1. 500

I just ordered a light bar. I have been reading up on the wiring and have been reading all wiring suggestions. Yours make complete sense. Thanks!

D

Deleted member 3748

I just ordered a light bar. I have been reading up on the wiring and have been reading all wiring suggestions. Yours make complete sense. Thanks!
Great! Glad you found it helpful. Let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: CaboJim

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!