P500 Lighting Mods, what is out there?

F

Flienlow

Feb 4, 2022
seattle
Ownership

1. 520
I have to admit that when I plowed snow last week, which was the first time I drove my P520 in the dark, I was shocked at how poor the stock headlights were. I had already installed a forward-facing light bar on the front lip of the Honda hard roof, and was very glad I did. The main reason I installed it was to make sure the plow wasn't blocking the all of the light. The plow could have been one of the reasons the headlights seemed so dim when I plowed. But based on the other night, I would consider a light bar a necessary upgrade on any P520 right from the start, regardless of whether or not you plow. I will probably install a small rear-facing floodlight light bar to help with backing up when plowing. It was very difficult to see through the rear Honda soft panel when backing up in the dark (it was also snowing hard, which might have contributed to the problem).
are there replacement bulbs on can buy for the stock light?

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Now that being said, I did see that Diode Dynamics has these little guys that I might order and try:

Replacement bulbs

Its only $40, and if nothing else the color temps will be the same as the light pods I plan to buy.

Rob

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Now that being said, I did see that Diode Dynamics has these little guys that I might order and try:

Replacement bulbs

Its only $40, and if nothing else the color temps will be the same as the light pods I plan to buy.

Rob
Those are what I have. Again, don't set your expectations too high.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Thanks for sharing this. It was something I was considering.
Diode Dynamics said:
Brightness. At 210 lumens, the HP36 will provide slightly more total light output compared to your factory bulb.

Their own words.

Reactions: KyGal83
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
OK guys, I have tried to find out how much power the headlight circuit will support. I don't have a need for a ton of extra light, but I do want a little more.

I have the following light that only pulls this much power and would like to just wire it up to the same circuit that power my headlights. PIAA light

It only pulls 16 watts at of course 12v. I know the old halogen headlights had to pull a lot more power than the current LED 881 bulbs I have in my headlights.

I don't know if the manual states what the wattage of the old halogens were, thats my next search to see if I should not do this.

Rob

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Well, I went and looked in the owners manual and it says the regular halogen bulbs are 37.5 W each. I also went to the website for the LED replacement bulbs I have in my headlights, it looks like they each pull 2.31 watts.

i’m going to say I should be fine running the headlight and the auxiliary laid off of the same circuit.

Rob

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Does anyone know where I can get a couple of the Honda OEM plugs that are part of the headlight circuit? I figure it might just be easier to splice it in like that then to actually strip the wires back and tie everything together.

If I could get a male and female set, I could connect my PIAA light to this.

Rob

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anyone know where I can get a couple of the Honda OEM plugs that are part of the headlight circuit? I figure it might just be easier to splice it in like that then to actually strip the wires back and tie everything together.

View attachment 346736

If I could get a male and female set, I could connect my PIAA light to this.

Rob
Take good pictures of each side and send them to @Hondasxs if anyone can help you, he can.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
I bought a light bar and mounted it on the roof. I then won a smaller one in a drawing and mounted it lower in front of the radiator. The one mounted high works better for lighting up a larger area but the one mounted lower works a lot better for diving and for dusty conditions.

Edited to say: there I go again responding to a 7 month old post. Yep I'm an idiot.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Yep, I did a search and looked for a thread that had some of the content I needed. Then posted a few responses and it's like fresh meat around here.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
This one. Ours are now black.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Perfect! I will no doubt order a few sets so I can add more accessories

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!