Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Theres a few threads on this. use the search up top.

BTW Welcome from Michigan.
and congrats on your first post.
we have an u written gospel when u first post and its Pics.
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

• Haha
Reactions: Marc1991 and Biteme
Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Try this one. theres a real good post on them.

Reactions: Lady01
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Yeah I really liked the idea of a lithium but a little worried about all the different seasons I ride in and temperature lows. I have 2 Talons so I am doing one first then the next one if all is good. The restart function is neat to if it works. I don't run, and don't want to run, 2 batteries so this is what I am trying instead.....

Reactions: Smitty335
TOGR

TOGR

Apr 5, 2022
NW Montana
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
I have not used a LIFE (lithium iron, not Lithium Ion--they are different and should be discussed separately) battery in my SXS as the original still works fine, but I have had absolutely 100% satisfaction with running Shorai lithium iron batteries in my Honda motorcycles. I have 3 of these batteries, with a total combined service life of well over 20 years, and have never had a single issue with any of them. They have spent 1000's of miles in Baja, occasionally ran dual Baja Designs HID's, been completely discharged a couple times (and charged with a standard auto charger), been periodically swapped into my kid's go-cart to save weight, at times been stored for up to a year (terminals disconnected) and readily started the bike afterward, and have never seen a battery tender as I prefer to disconnect cables if it will be sitting for a while. I couldn't be happier with them!

This is however a very interesting discussion with a lot of technical information I did not fully realize. I guess I never felt the need to really get into it because batteries have been the easiest and least maintenance critical items on my bikes (other than maybe the handlebars) since I went to the Shorai's.

The Shoraipower.com site shows a LIFE battery for the Pioneer 1000, 2016-2018, but not specifically for other Honda 1000cc models, although I would think it would apply to all. Cost is $330, they weigh 4.55 pounds, and put out 540 CCA. Shoraipower.com has a FAQ section discussing many of the issues brought up on this forum. Revzilla.com, and likely other sites, sell the Shorai's with free shipping.

Not disputing any of the previous information (nor does Shorai) but wanted to set forth how happy I have been with them in real life in Honda motorcycles.

B

bryn

Mar 22, 2022
ut
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Yeah I really liked the idea of a lithium but a little worried about all the different seasons I ride in and temperature lows. I have 2 Talons so I am doing one first then the next one if all is good. The restart function is neat to if it works. I don't run, and don't want to run, 2 batteries so this is what I am trying instead.....
the ytx20 and the hd20 are 2 other options that dont have the restart, maybe the more volume would be better? I dont want 2 batteries either, my plan is to buy a better battery and pack a jump starter.

Reactions: Hometeam
B

bryn

Mar 22, 2022
ut
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I have not used a LIFE (lithium iron, not Lithium Ion--they are different and should be discussed separately) battery in my SXS as the original still works fine, but I have had absolutely 100% satisfaction with running Shorai lithium iron batteries in my Honda motorcycles. I have 3 of these batteries, with a total combined service life of well over 20 years, and have never had a single issue with any of them. They have spent 1000's of miles in Baja, occasionally ran dual Baja Designs HID's, been completely discharged a couple times (and charged with a standard auto charger), been periodically swapped into my kid's go-cart to save weight, at times been stored for up to a year (terminals disconnected) and readily started the bike afterward, and have never seen a battery tender as I prefer to disconnect cables if it will be sitting for a while. I couldn't be happier with them!

This is however a very interesting discussion with a lot of technical information I did not fully realize. I guess I never felt the need to really get into it because batteries have been the easiest and least maintenance critical items on my bikes (other than maybe the handlebars) since I went to the Shorai's.

The Shoraipower.com site shows a LIFE battery for the Pioneer 1000, 2016-2018, but not specifically for other Honda 1000cc models, although I would think it would apply to all. Cost is $330, they weigh 4.55 pounds, and put out 540 CCA. Shoraipower.com has a FAQ section discussing many of the issues brought up on this forum. Revzilla.com, and likely other sites, sell the Shorai's with free shipping.

Not disputing any of the previous information (nor does Shorai) but wanted to set forth how happy I have been with them in real life in Honda motorcycles.
Looks like they have a couple options that would fit thanks for the info

B

bryn

Mar 22, 2022
ut
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Can you jump start a lithium battery or does that damage it? I know they need a different charger..

B

bryn

Mar 22, 2022
ut
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I ordered antigravity atx20-HD, it doesnt have the restart but has the BMS. Looks like the older models didnt have this and if they got it drained they were junk. I will try it out and update in a year or so.....

Reactions: TOGR and Hometeam
ToolTime

ToolTime

Oct 10, 2020
Oregon
Ownership

1. Talon X
Can you jump start a lithium battery or does that damage it? I know they need a different charger..
The batteries will take a lot more amps than a conventional battery, you aren’t going to hurt it, but be careful about what you hook to it. Big jumper cables and don’t go off of the good cars alternator, make sure the jumper vehicle has a good charged battery in it and go off that. Learning all of this as I try to convert our motorhome over to lithium, the batteries can kill a very expensive alternator with out some kind of mechanism to slow down the amp draw in the motorhome (we are talking a battery bank here,, not a single battery). Also technically Lithium batteries should be charged to a higher voltage than conventional lead acid. They will work fine, but we will see a somewhat shortened lifespan because of it as I understand. Still way higher lifespan than the lead acid though.

Reactions: Lady01 and bryn
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!