Looking for a cargo box

RODNUT

RODNUT

May 16, 2015
There are a lot of options, here is what i did. I installed a aluminum diamond plate on the rack and mounted a 46in. truck box from tractor supply for $249. Thats less than half of the honda box, its metal, waterproof and dustproof (mostly). IMG 0557

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Looks Good @RODNUT !! Welcome to the Club!

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
There are a lot of options, here is what i did. I installed a aluminum diamond plate on the rack and mounted a 46in. truck box from tractor supply for $249. Thats less than half of the honda box, its metal, waterproof and dustproof (mostly).View attachment 5853
Nice! Looks professional.

J

JasonS

Jun 18, 2015
I bought the large Plano Sportsmans trunk. With its side moldings it easily attaches with just 2 bungee cords. Please see attached pics. One shows the trunk with my rear rack bucket holder. The next adds the Honda small cargo bag. The third is my stuck with all 3 on - noting I replaced the bucket with a cooler for that day's trip out on the trails.

Including Honda Small Bag Plano Box and Bucket Holder Stuck

scottn57

scottn57

Sep 14, 2013
Buffalo, NY
Hi all-

I should be picking up my new 2015 P500 later this week (Yay!) if the accessories make it all in. I'm thinking of what kind of storage box I'd want to put on the rack, and I'd love to know how people are fixing their boxes to the back rack.

The box I'm leaning towards is the Tractor Supply large poly box. It seems tough, can hold a chain saw for when we are breaking trails and need to bypass downed trees, and looks like it's big enough to hold a bow/gun for hunting season if I mount some clamps on the inside. It doesn't have any external places to strap to. 1090993prod det

Ideally I'd want to be take the box on and off fairly easily, but I'm not sure what the best way to do it would be.

I THINK the best options would be:
  1. Add some sort of D-ring tie downs to the box, and use bungies or ratchet straps to strap it down. I'm not sure if one per end would be enough? The case seems sturdy enough to handle drilling and mounting these.. probably should have a plate on the inside of the box though..2363 mounting ring 1 x 800 lbs stainless steel t316 1 175
  2. Attach with 4 u-bolts or maybe c-clamps on the bottom of the box. I don't see anyway of making this quick release-able.... Any ideas?
  3. Maybe use some long rubber hood latches- two per end? Ideally I'd like to find one that is long and just has a flat bottom end that can be wrapped around the rack and bolted to itself- I just haven't found any straps that would be easy to mount to the rack...31M1uoLANCL AA160
  4. Ratchet strap around the narrow way. This is simple, but would make getting into it a pain.
Are there any attachment methods I'm missing? Thanks!

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
Just bolts, nuts, and rubber washers on the inside of the box....love it (except for the height-LOL)

I have started adding a bit of storage to rear rack. I kndof like this P500, The wife uses the 700 to haul a couple 5 gallon buckets around. I got shot down on this attempt.
5gal buckets  20151025 173145

Misfit88

Misfit88

Nov 9, 2015
Does anyone happen to use this storage box?
Ranger_400_Cross_4d53f955db392.jpg

Lantz

Lantz

Oct 5, 2015
This is a 48 gallon Rubbermaid action packer, fits nicely on the back and gives loads of storage. I carry a chain saw, tools, a 2 gallon gas can, and a cooler in it with room to spare. I used 2 bolt on ratchet straps and 2 D hooks bolted on the box to strap it down.

IMG 3128

CptOvo

CptOvo

Sep 20, 2015
Canada, Alberta
Ownership

1. 500
Tractor supply box. I can fit ALOT of stuff in there. Of course at 5'3" tall I had to put a step in the receiver so I can reach to the bottom-LOL. I have maybe $110 in all
View attachment 4958

Thats a great box! - I'm looking to make something soon.

Some nice snow too! are you north of the great divide? ehh? :)

Ovo

F

fluker

Dec 3, 2014
mrjeff42
I've been looking at rack ideas for the 500, awesome job you did, I'm sold on your system, gives best of both worlds, a cargo rack and a cargo box....can you tell me how far the rack hangs off the back, seems quite a bit, does that cause any issues with carrying weight so far back..can you please share how you mounted the box and rack. Does the meatal box make more noise than say a plastic one when riding

Reactions: Buryit
sxsinks

sxsinks

Nov 16, 2015
Middle Midwest
I'm in the r&d mode right now myself. But this cheap set up is working for my boys deer hunting and what not. I was looking for a deer sled but found this at dicks sports about 50$

Attachments

• 20151111_214049.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 455
Last edited:
Reactions: Buryit
Gem99Ultra

Gem99Ultra

Dec 29, 2015
Warm Springs, GA
Hi everyone,

Looking to find a durable plastic cargo box for the P5. Don't want the huge expensive option from Honda, and am looking for something about the size as the small factory cargo bag that would mount to the cargo rack. Has anyone seen anything that would fit the bill?

I'm just flabbergasted at the absurd price Honda wants for their plastic cargo tray, i.e. $300! It seems that one can buy a cargo tray for just about anything that has wheels for $100 or less.

I understand that Honda wants to make a profit. But not all at once on one simple accessory. I'm glad to see that a number of other P-500 owners are rebelling against that price gouge.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Lol honda sells rides cheaper cuz they make up for it with accessories o_O

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!