Looking for AR-15 advice

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have 5 15s, 1 10, and 1 ar47. Because of what the rifle is I truly believe everyone's first rifle should be a full kit. Build the entire thing yourself so that you can be comfortable with the ins and outs of the rifle. EVERYTHING about an AR is customizable. As you build the thing it will help you become familiar with all the bits and pieces. That way when you are shooting you can literally say I don't like this "insert part here" and with a Google search you can typically find just what you want to replace that piece with. Palmetto state armory, and bear creek arsenal make some great budget kits. All of my own and families builds have parts from those 2 companies. I have a decent 223 wylde build with a 18" stainless bear creek arsenal barrel, omega billet upper, and Palmetto nickel BCG all on top of a cheap Anderson lower kit. The trigger group is a polished palmetto set with light JP springs and it will touch holes at 100 yards. I built it to be cheap and found out it just rocks!

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nope. Stay away from any polymer lower. Forged lowers: stick with 7075-T6 aluminum forged lowers, as older lowers made with 6061-T6 are weaker. And while most forged lowers will suffice or many people, billet lowers are stronger - but most folks are fine with forged lowers for average use, so save your $ and go forged.

Beyond that, some lowers do have features that others don't. That's why I always recommend the Aero Precision M4E1 lower.

On the M4E1, instead of roll pins it has a threaded bolt catch and a threaded takedown pin detent These make it easier to build (and R&R components) AND you can remove the buffer tube without having to worry about the detent and spring flying out. It has an integrated trigger guard. It has a flared magazine well to make mag insertion easier. Finally, it has a nylon tipped tension screw that you used to adjust the fit between the upper and the lower (eliminate the wobble/play).

The best bang for your buck on a 2-stage trigger is the LaRue Tactical MBT-2S available in either straight or curved bow. No, it's certainly not a Geissele or Timney trigger, but it's 1/3 of the price of a Gisseele or Timney while packing great two-stage performance. They offer a single stage version as well if you're building a CQB/self-defense firearm, too.

I didn't say I didn't like RRA. I said they were overpriced. You can build a far better performing firearm for the same money you'll spend buying an RRA. For the record, I'm an RRA authorized dealer (but rarely order/sell from them) and, many moons ago, my first AR platform rifle was a RRA.

For sure. At the other end of the spectrum, the thinner/lighter the barrel you get, the more prone it could be to warping if heated up too much (rare/never for the average shooter).

The bigger question is: what material the barrels is made of and who makes it. In the upper price range of a working man's AR, Ballistic Advantage, Aero Precision, Faxon and FN are my top choices, regardless of barrel profile.

Finally, barrel twist rate is important. Certain twist rates are better for certain projectile weights. A 1:7 twist rate means it takes 7" of barrel to rotate the projective 1 turn, while a 1:9 means it takes 9" to do the same. Be sure to do your research before purchasing a barrel, but understand there is no one single "best" twist rate. Generally speaking, the lighter the projectile, the more twist you want. Here's a quick chart to help see which rates work best for which weight projectiles for some very common 223/5.56 sizes:

View attachment 309656

Lots of guys with decent eyesight are very accurate with iron sights well past 200 yards. But, yes, a nice magnifying scope is great for out past 150-200 yards. You're right, too -- no need to spend $1K to get a "good" scope. Lots of options below that.

The effective firing range of 5.56 NATO is upwards of 600 yards. No problem for smaller critters (e.g., prairie dogs) at those distances. But, going for bigger game at longer distances is best served by a bigger caliber (.eg., 308, 6.5 Creedmoor) off the AR10 platform. Sure, they can cost a bit more to build and shoot, but not crazy money more - just think of it as "super-sizing" your Big Mac meal ... :D
Fantastic post! I also agree the LaRue 2s trigger is a great trigger . https://www.larue.com/category/parts-accessories/lower-parts/triggers/

I keep waiting him to do another run of his single stage trigger... that I can catch when in inventory.

Reactions: FJC 79 and Biteme
K

KimberproSS

Jul 16, 2019
Mount Vernon, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Considering buying a AR15 finally…not sure if I’m going to like it…yet.

What ever I decide, I will try at a range before purchasing if possible (or similar).

to be clear I’m right handed but left eye dominate…I grew up shooting right hand guns backwards…as that’s all the we had. To this day I own all right handed rifles and shot guns.

Never been a AR fan…I think they are butt ugly….but I do see value in one as I am considering one for coyotes and possibly prairie dogs with a suppressor. I know it won’t compete in accuracy (without huge coin) compared to my Ruger m77 mkII heavy barrel 223, but that’s ok.

Since I’m particular to S&W, I was considering their MP sport as a base work with? Is there ones to avoid?

id like to keep the budget below 1k…

Any opinions are welcome..

oh yeah my previous guns were lost in a tragic boating accident so I no longer have them…
So, I have heard, not that I have any firearms myself, that you will love shooting an AR15. Palmetto State Armory has all the components to build. I am aware of one build that cost around $600 (A couple of years ago) for the complete upper and lower kit with furniture and a stripped lower purchased from a local dealer (Avoiding FFL transfer costs) with a 20 in. standard bbl. It shoots sub MOA. I witnessed prairie dogs being sniped at 450 yards with a Burris 2.5 to 7 power scope with a ballistic reticle.

I saw a Core AR15 from Rural King shoot sub MOA that a friend owns and he is the tightest miser (Cheapskate) I have ever known, so it was well under $1K. And I also saw a Rock River with a 20 in. SS heavy cryogenically frozen BBL with a Wylde chamber shoot little clover leaves at 100 yards and that setup was $1,100, again a few years back.

C

ColoradoMike

Nov 1, 2021
Grand Junction, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One thing I’m concerned about is the shell ejection as I shoot rifles the wrong way…is it a big deal for those whom are backwards like myself?
Well, I can tell you from 30 plus years of LEO and shooting AR platform (Left handed) is no problem what so ever. If the AR is tuned correctly, the spent rounds will eject around the 3:30 to 4:30 (Think clock), so you should never have a problem with rounds in your face.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I recently inherited a pile of guns from my moms second husband. One of those is a Colt AR-15. The gun shop owner that received the transfer recommended I hold onto that one. It’s in excellent condition.
I also got two Polytech Ak-47 that are in decent shape and working. He said definitely hold onto those!

I’ve never been a fan of handguns or assault rifles because we didn’t have guns for fun, only for hunting. But now I kinda like them. I noticed that the AK ejects the casing forward and away and the AR ejects rearward and away. That would be something to consider for a lefty.

v908

v908

Feb 14, 2020
Santa Clarita, CA
Ownership

1. 700-2
Considering buying a AR15 finally…not sure if I’m going to like it…yet.

Never been a AR fan…I think they are butt ugly….but I do see value in one as I am considering one for coyotes and possibly prairie dogs with a suppressor. I know it won’t compete in accuracy (without huge coin) compared to my Ruger m77 mkII heavy barrel 223, but that’s ok.

For your stated purpose, I would seriously consider a Ruger Mini-14 instead. Essentially very similar guns (same ammo), but with wood furniture so they're not as "scary" looking as those "butt ugly" rifles that seem to concern so many people...

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I noticed that the AK ejects the casing forward and away and the AR ejects rearward and away. That would be something to consider for a lefty.
A properly gassed (right-handed) AR15 ejects from ~3 o'clock to ~4:30 o'clock. Anything more "rearward" and it's short stroking. If the latter, check for gas leaks or a misaligned gas block. You may need a lighter buffer, a lighter BCG or better yet, an adjustable gas block.

Depending upon the age of the Colt, it could be worth hanging on to.

H

Hwysupr

Oct 27, 2015
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4
I to am left eye dominant and have a Rock River and the S&W. Have never had an issue with ejection though sometimes those around me do when I go Rambo and dump a full mag...lol Both are very solid guns. I use mine exclusively for hog hunting and they do the trick for sure. Mini 14 is a good gun however limited on magazine size. I've gotten into a large group of hogs a couple times and emptied a 10 round mag, only got 4 hogs, and was wishing I had my 20 instead of the 10. They hold up well and area very reliable.

Last edited:
S

Santa

Jul 30, 2018
Kimberly, WI
Ownership

1. 500
I own a Ruger AR-556. Low initial cost, dependable and fun to shoot. Have a Leupold scope and a few other accessories. You can't beat Ruger quality for the price you pay. Ride a P500---drive a Subaru Outback---I love dependable and inexpensive in everything I own.

Bandman

Bandman

Jul 17, 2021
Hayden Lake, ID
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One thing I’m concerned about is the shell ejection as I shoot rifles the wrong way…is it a big deal for those whom are backwards like myself?
The ejection shouldn’t be a problem. I personally built my own. It was fun researching and choosing all the parts and when I had problems ding the final assembly it was easy to find a gun-smith that showed me what to do. If you want to go fully assembled, thee are any number of vendors (Palmetto, Atlantic Firearms, etc) but if you want a name brand the M & P is a solid, low-budget gun but you get what you pay for. i like Springfield Arms and Rock Island.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For your stated purpose, I would seriously consider a Ruger Mini-14 instead. Essentially very similar guns (same ammo), but with wood furniture so they're not as "scary" looking as those "butt ugly" rifles that seem to concern so many people...
Actually love the mini 14.

My first deer was taken with a M1 Garand..iron sights at 150 yds.

Even though I have an AR15 now…it still doesn’t have the beauty, craftsmanship, and lore of a side by side shotgun, any wood stock rifle that has been taken care of, ect…

And yes it’s butt ugly compared to any of my wood stock rifles.

But it’s something that I can customize and beat on a bit.

X50

X50

Lifetime Member
Oct 13, 2021
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The Ruger Mini-14 was very popular with law enforcement in FL back in the 80's. Ruger sold an LE version with a multi-position selector (safe/semi/3 round burst/full auto) for around $450. I worked marine enforcement and we had one.

The SWAT team bought 20k reloads for training, but discovered that their ARs would continually jam with them. They gave them to the marine unit for training. We'd take milk jugs out into the Gulf and target practice- the Mini-14 never jammed with the reloads.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got in my 5 RR mags that were part of the purchase rebate the other day…plus the other 5 i had already purchased I think I’m on a good start.

I picked this up the other day for charging the mags…mostly cause my reloads will be in this orientation.

It works pretty darn good!

now just gotta get a set of Dillon dies for my loader.

Barracuda

Barracuda

Lifetime Member
Oct 14, 2021
Washington state
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV

2. w/Turbo
Actually love the mini 14.

My first deer was taken with a M1 Garand..iron sights at 150 yds.

Even though I have an AR15 now…it still doesn’t have the beauty, craftsmanship, and lore of a side by side shotgun, any wood stock rifle that has been taken care of, ect…

And yes it’s butt ugly compared to any of my wood stock rifles.

But it’s something that I can customize and beat on a bit.
It's funny reading your comments, because I look at the AR as a thing of beauty and the wood stock rifles just seem boring boring to me... not knocking what you're saying, I had both (AR's of different calibers and "hunting rifles") before the tragic boating accident.
It's like cars and side by sides - whatever you started with or saw first and enjoyed first tends to rise to the top of your favorite list, each one has a niche we could use to promote our favorites. For me the AR is a thing of beauty.... just my opinion of course.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!