P1000 lost my steering

ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Jardín, Antioquia - Colombia, South America!
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi Everyone,

Although its been 2-3 weeks of it warning me, it finally gave out yesterday and I'm happy it happened in a parking lot -not at full speed in a curve.

Started as a clicking/stutter/hesitation -hard to describe but you could def hear a "click" sound.
It would appear when changing either direction from left/right or right/left.

In the image the piece in the red circle is my suspect.
Before yesterday, I could look down while turning the wheel and could see that my click sound appeared when that suspect was not turning in sync with the u joints above it. Then it would grab and turn normal.

In the video you can see how now its just totally free and will not turn at all.
The wheels can still be turned/angled manually, tie rods, bushings, just about all I can visually see looks fine.

Its going to take me a few days to set aside the time and space to start removing pieces, so I'm tossing this up to see if anyone got any ideas on what to look for.

Ujoint

ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Jardín, Antioquia - Colombia, South America!
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you not get the recall check done for this?
@Hondasxs ,
Negative.
I'm about 9-12 hours from the dealer, the cost of the transport is hard to justify, it would be roughly the equivalent of $450 USD each way. Also, I did not know about the recall until last night searching the boards here.

If I'm on the right path it would seem like replacing the shaft and possibly the whole Column SUB-ASSY
Looking at the manual, it seems like I can take this one on and the hard part will only be idle time waiting for parts once I know what to order.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!