P500 Lound Squeaking from Front Driver's Wheel

J

jwcbf

Dec 9, 2015
Hey Folks,

Got my P5 Stuck (and I mean STUCK) in some really nasty mud at my duck club. Got 90% of the mud off and took her back out this last weekend. I got a periodic squeak coming from the front wheel area. I did use a high pressure hose to get some of the mud off. There was still a lot of mud in that area... I got it out/off but the squeak is still there.

I will be taking the wheel off after work today to look for the cause.... anyone guidance on where I should focus my attention.

Thanks in advance
JW

P5 stuck P5 Front Mud

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
dayum, bet you got something between the pad and rotor...you take the brakes apart yet?

J

jwcbf

Dec 9, 2015
dayum, bet you got something between the pad and rotor...you take the brakes apart yet?

Negative... After the first "cleaning", it seemed fine. Got it back to the club and it stated squeaking... Going to try and get the wheel off tonight for a better look.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Dang! That's worse than peanut butter mud. It's like cake batter mud...mmmmm

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
Welcome to the site. That looks like delta gumbo mud. Grew up on a 900 acre farm comprised of that crap. Nasty stuff!

J

jwcbf

Dec 9, 2015
Yep, this stuff is crazy nasty. Yu can go on a very dry day when it hasn't rained in months and come away with Mud all over you and your gear. I swear, that stuff is alive!

JW

Reactions: swsebek
J

jwcbf

Dec 9, 2015
Well, Got the wheel off tonight. Took some more mud off... The wheel does not want to turn easy and definitely binds in one area. I don't see any gap between pad and rotor. I pumped the brakes and saw no movement. It got dark and started to rain so I left it until later. Like sthomp54 said... I need to take the brakes apart. I think I identified two bolts holding on the caliper assy... should I take apart farther than that. I got my dealer to throw in a "shop manual" but I still don't have it after a couple months. I am going to have to call them tomorrow about that.

Also, the plastic cover looks like it may have been compromised...???? Anyone familiar with it?

Thanks
JW

IMG 7376 IMG 7378

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
You got to take caliper and brake pads off and clean.That mud is insane

J

jwcbf

Dec 9, 2015
Unbelievable how much mud was in there. Got most of it out/off. Need to totally tear down the assy like swswbek said. I'm nervous about doing it without the manual which I will have early next week. I have made enough mistakes recently. How should I clean the rotor and such...? I was thinking steel wool or coarse scotch bright with something (wd40)? IF it's not obvious it has been a while since I have worked on stuff like this.
Thanks
JW

IMG 7381

J

jwcbf

Dec 9, 2015
Well, Finally got the assy cleaned up.... Put the wheel back on and still had a bad squeak. Not as bad as before but still bad. With all the mud cleaned out I could see the "Disk Cover" was rubbing the wheel rim. Removed the cover... all the noise is gone. Going to order a new cover today. I will use the cart at the club this weekend and just be careful. This pic by the way was taken before final cleaning.

Upload 2016 1 27 7 24 16

Upload 2016 1 27 7 21 4

advertisement
D

Deleted member 3748

Unbelievable how much mud was in there. Got most of it out/off. Need to totally tear down the assy like swswbek said. I'm nervous about doing it without the manual which I will have early next week. I have made enough mistakes recently. How should I clean the rotor and such...? I was thinking steel wool or coarse scotch bright with something (wd40)? IF it's not obvious it has been a while since I have worked on stuff like this.
Thanks
JW

View attachment 9390
WD-40 isn't the best idea for cleaning brakes. But Brake Cleaner would be perfect!

D

Deleted member 3748

Yep, I wanted to get some better brushes for the job and ended picking up "Brake Cleaner" as well.

JW
Brake cleaner is one of those garage staples that does hundreds of jobs besides cleaning brakes.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey Folks,

Got my P5 Stuck (and I mean STUCK) in some really nasty mud at my duck club. Got 90% of the mud off and took her back out this last weekend. I got a periodic squeak coming from the front wheel area. I did use a high pressure hose to get some of the mud off. There was still a lot of mud in that area... I got it out/off but the squeak is still there.

I will be taking the wheel off after work today to look for the cause.... anyone guidance on where I should focus my attention.

Thanks in advance
JW

View attachment 9307 View attachment 9308

What tires do you have? Do they self clean well, like mud tires? This dirt looks like pure clay

Reactions: jwcbf
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got those last night :))). Cant wait to test

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!