P1000 Low fluids!

Stevo

Stevo

Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i recently did my first oil change on my 2016. 1000 delux 5
Anyway checked sub transmission oil and no oil on dip stick. I added 3/4 of a at. To get it on the top mark of dip stick. So today I check front and rear gear oil. Rear weeps out oil when I remove side plus but not the front. I added 10 oz to get the oil to weep out hole.
So now hoping no damage has been done because of low fluids. Called dealer were I got machine at and said fluids come in machine from factory. He is going to call Honda Monday and express my concern. The pioneer was on level ground When I checked it.
I took skid plate off to look for any leaks and saw none and no oil flung anywhere.
I would suggest anyone with a new machine check all fluid levels before putting miles on it.
Feel that dealer should have checked it before delivery

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
i recently did my first oil change on my 2016. 1000 delux 5
Anyway checked sub transmission oil and no oil on dip stick. I added 3/4 of a at. To get it on the top mark of dip stick. So today I check front and rear gear oil. Rear weeps out oil when I remove side plus but not the front. I added 10 oz to get the oil to weep out hole.
So now hoping no damage has been done because of low fluids. Called dealer were I got machine at and said fluids come in machine from factory. He is going to call Honda Monday and express my concern. The pioneer was on level ground When I checked it.
I took skid plate off to look for any leaks and saw none and no oil flung anywhere.
I would suggest anyone with a new machine check all fluid levels before putting miles on it.
Feel that dealer should have checked it before delivery

Sorry to hear that. The dealership also has some responsibility with this issue because they should've checked it

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I agree with Joey. Honda was wrong for not putting enough oil in it in the factory (they test drive them before they box them up).

But the dealer is even more at fault because I would be dollars to doughnuts that there is a setup checklist they are supposed to be following and I just about guarantee that is probably the first thing on the list for them to check right after they crank it up to make sure it runs.

I figure you would get an oil pressure fault/have shifting issues before you did any damage as sensitive as the clutches are.

I would also go over that machine with a fine toothed comb before I did anything else. Make sure all the intake hoses are tight, the air cleaner box is cinched and the filter is there, check coolant levels, brake fluid levels, make sure the ROPS bolts are tight, check all the grounds/ECM connections and maybe even burp the radiator before I did much more driving.

If the dealer didn't bother to check the oil before giving it to you, they might not have done other things right.

Stevo

Stevo

Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd be having a talk with the dealer.
I did not proof read my post but should have been titled low fluids.
I added 3/4 of a qt. Not 3/4 at
Also removed side plug not. Side plus. Auto correct Errors
Have talked to dealer but doubt if they will call Honda because they will probably be asked why they did not check the fluids.
And crow hunter thanks for your input. I will check everything you mentioned
Before I ride it again.

Stevo

Stevo

Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did not proof read my post but should have been titled low fluids.
I added 3/4 of a qt. Not 3/4 at
Also removed side plug not. Side plus. Auto correct Errors
Have talked to dealer but doubt if they will call Honda because they will probably be asked why they did not check the fluids.
And crow hunter thanks for your input. I will check everything you mentioned
Before I ride it again.
Reading the owners manual it said you should check your oil and sub transmission oil each day before operating and under that to check oil before riding sxs. I wonder how many people actually do that. Something that critical that needs to be checked every time before you operate it should have a sensor on it to warn one if fluids are low. Or at least not be such a pain to get to to check. Wonder what others opinion are on this.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The engine I check the dipstick every day I am going to ride before riding. Until this weekend, I looked for leaks on the sub trans and that's it. The reason for the difference is that an engine can and will consume oil where the trans should not ... it can leak but consumption should be zero.

In my case, it appears that an error was made in service and I put ~50 miles on a bone dry sub trans (OK, there was likely a little oil film left, but not enough for 40-50 miles of use).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I checked mine a couple of weeks ago when I did my oil change. The sub trans had been getting loud. My bad entirely, but it was bone dry. Had to put 1.5 qt in it to get it to the full line. Hadn't checked in about 1200 miles. Couldn't see where it was going anywhere though?!

Reactions: elkaholic
Stevo

Stevo

Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I checked mine a couple of weeks ago when I did my oil change. The sub trans had been getting loud. My bad entirely, but it was bone dry. Had to put 1.5 qt in it to get it to the full line. Hadn't checked in about 1200 miles. Couldn't see where it was going anywhere though?!
So did it quite down now and do you think you have damage? I don't know what sound I would hear from sub trans. There is so much noise from rear of my 1000 and guessing sub trans being under front seat there would be more noise up front.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!