P1000 Low idle and stalls

O

Outdoorman89

Dec 12, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Evening folks,

I have a 2017 honda pioneer 1000-5. I was riding around the yard the other day and my utv started acting up. When it idles, it drops in RPM to 200 rpm and chugs a bit then stalls.

So far I've checked, the throttle body valves ( they were cleaned ), I checked the IACV ( looks cleaned ) and all surrounding wires, checked the gas and theirs no water, I checked the exhaust and spark arrestor and its cleaned. Primary battery is fully charged at 12 volts and when I run my machine it goes to 14 volts.

My next option is plugs but the machine only has 1880 km on it. I'm running out of ideas. Anyone have any ideas or had similar occurence.

Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you check the air filter behind the seat?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lady01
O

Outdoorman89

Dec 12, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you check the air filter behind the seat?

Yes checked the air filter and everything looks alright. Regular dirt / dust and even after cleaning it, it still does it

O

Outdoorman89

Dec 12, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nope no codes or anything.. starts normal, idles for 5 seconds then goes to 200 rpm and stalls. But if I put it in gear quick enough, I can drive it around the yard no prob. But when I let off, then it goes back to low rpms

BigMac

BigMac

Sep 22, 2015
Ownership

1. 700-2
I am spooked since my stator problem on 2016 P-700. Apparently the electronic ignition needs more power than starter or charged battery.
The Honda 2014 manual on 700 says fully charged battery is 13 volts. Measured standard charging voltage is 15.5 volts at 5000 RPM with lights on.
14 volts may be enough but if idle is low it may be dropping.

Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nope no codes or anything.. starts normal, idles for 5 seconds then goes to 200 rpm and stalls. But if I put it in gear quick enough, I can drive it around the yard no prob. But when I let off, then it goes back to low rpms
Like BigMac said. I would then check your battery voltage. If it's a weak battery I know they're pretty sensitive to that. Also check for loose grounds.

C

Ccmsxs

Feb 27, 2021
Calgary AB
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like BigMac said. I would then check your battery voltage. If it's a weak battery I know they're pretty sensitive to that. Also check for loose grounds.

I had somewhat of the same issue. Low, fluctuating idle, stalls when going into gear and just by itself. I just installed a heater, voltmeter, did oil, filters and plugs.
I ended up doing all sorts of things looking for the problem. Ended up being a loose ground wire on the coil. Cleaned and reconnected it.
Runs perfect since

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!