P700 Low oil light?

Booey424

Booey424

Apr 17, 2020
New Haven, WV
Ownership

1. 700-4
Is there a low oil warning light? I checked my oil today and it wasn’t even registering on the dip stick. I had to add an entire quart to get it back to the full line
Also is it common to go through oil like that?

• Wow
Reactions: Biteme and Farmer
Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Is there a low oil warning light? I checked my oil today and it wasn’t even registering on the dip stick. I had to add an entire quart to get it back to the full line
Also is it common to go through oil like that?
I've never heard of anyone having that issue. Mine doesn't use or lose any between changes.

Booey424

Booey424

Apr 17, 2020
New Haven, WV
Ownership

1. 700-4
Assume your not screwing it in to check?

Was engine warmed up prior?

Dipstick should just be set in to check level.
It was warmed up and I screwed the dipstick in and checked it 3 times. The first check had oil on it and it was warm. Whiped it off screwed it back in and checked it. It had no oil on it. Did it again and still no oil on dipstick. Added some oil, nothing. Added more and more. Finally got to the full line after a quart
Drove fir 2 hours. Checked it again and it was above the full line

Reactions: Biteme and Farmer
Beretta67

Beretta67

Nov 11, 2020
McKean Co. Pa.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It was warmed up and I screwed the dipstick in and checked it 3 times. The first check had oil on it and it was warm. Whiped it off screwed it back in and checked it. It had no oil on it. Did it again and still no oil on dipstick. Added some oil, nothing. Added more and more. Finally got to the full line after a quart
Drove fir 2 hours. Checked it again and it was above the full line
Did you change the oil the last time? If not did you check it after someone else did it?

Booey424

Booey424

Apr 17, 2020
New Haven, WV
Ownership

1. 700-4
So, I wanted to get this oil thing fixed. I ran the 700-4 for 30 minutes on the road. Between 25-35 mph. Got it nice and warm. Went home checked the oil. It was over the full line.
Drained all the oil out of it. Including filter. It had 3.5 quarts in it. I put it all back together. Put 3.1 quarts back into it. Looks good now.
I ordered a gallon of new Honda oil and the OEM filter. Will do a oil change this weekend. And I will keep a better eye on it going forward
Thanks for all the help

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
With the 700, you HAVE to follow the manual procedure for checks if you want to keep an eye on oil level and judge any usage.

Above 50F- idle for 5 minutes
Below 50F - idle for an additional 5 minutes (10 total).
<DO NOT rev or race the engine (like, say, driving around for 30 minutes?). The owners manual doesn't talk about this, but the factory service manual says not to do it because it gives an inaccurate reading!>
After shutting off, wait 2-3 minutes and check. The oil will be a touch lower until about 2:30 seconds, then that last little bit settles in.

Oil capacity is meant as a rough guide, but the ultimate judge is the dip stick. It depends on how long you drain it, and having the front higher will cause more to drain out. Some have to add 3.5 and even 4 qts to get to the proper level, and mine usually falls within that range....but I can say that 3.1 has never come close to getting it full. I bet if you check it now using the proper procedure, you'll now find it to be low...or at least not all the way full.

Last edited:
advertisement
Booey424

Booey424

Apr 17, 2020
New Haven, WV
Ownership

1. 700-4
With the 700, you HAVE to follow the manual procedure for checks if you want to keep an eye on oil level and judge any usage.

Above 50F- idle for 5 minutes
Below 50F - idle for an additional 5 minutes (10 total).
<DO NOT rev or race the engine (like, say, driving around for 30 minutes?). The owners manual doesn't talk about this, but the factory service manual says not to do it because it gives an inaccurate reading!>
After shutting off, wait 2-3 minutes and check. The oil will be a touch lower until about 2:30 seconds, then that last little bit settles in.

Oil capacity is meant as a rough guide, but the ultimate judge is the dip stick. It depends on how long you drain it, and having the front higher will cause more to drain out. Some have to add 3.5 and even 4 qts to get to the proper level, and mine usually falls within that range....but I can say that 3.1 has never come close to getting it full. I bet if you check it now using the proper procedure, you'll now find it to be low...or at least not all the way full.
I did the oil check according to this process and it checked out fine.
Going to change oil this weekend. It was pretty dark

• Wow
Reactions: Biteme and DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I did the oil check according to this process and it checked out fine.
Going to change oil this weekend. It was pretty dark
You just stated above that you drove for 30 minutes and went home and checked the oil? So which is it?

Reactions: Biteme
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How long ago did the dealer change the oil?

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Diyguy

Diyguy

Dec 5, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
2000 miles on an oil change.
If you want this to last, sit down and read the owners manual. Start following the maintenance for fluids.

advertisement