Lower rear Radius Rod and Front high-clearance A-arms recommendations for 1000x-4

BlackCSVT

BlackCSVT

Jan 14, 2021
Vail, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Now that multiple units have been tested for a few years, whats the consensus for these aftermarket parts?

With companies like Hess, CA, L&W, S3, etc making these parts, whats reliable/tested? I know @HondaTech isn't a fan of L&W. I don't mind mixing and matching, and color isn't a deal breaker.

~Chas

Reactions: Smittyp
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have the L&W radius rods and am replacing the heim type bushings before 8k miles. They're $55 for a set of eight, so not all that expensive. @PhilCod has replaced his more than once.

I'm still running the stock A-arms.

Reactions: Smittyp
Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
No issues with L&W radius rodd. The bushings dont last long but are cheap to replace. I believe the CA and maybe AJK use better bushings, but are both more expensive up front. I've replaced bushings once.

I also use L&W front lower a arms as well and have had no issues.

I have around 2800 miles on both TN and KY riding.

Reactions: Smittyp and Adam490
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Now that multiple units have been tested for a few years, whats the consensus for these aftermarket parts?

With companies like Hess, CA, L&W, S3, etc making these parts, whats reliable/tested? I know @HondaTech isn't a fan of L&W. I don't mind mixing and matching, and color isn't a deal breaker.

~Chas
I have the L&W fronts and rear upper/lower high clearance radius rods on my R. I'd have gone CA for the rear radius rods if they had been available when I bought the L&W because they use an OEM style spherical bearing.

The bushings in the L&W fronts are garbage, but I don't think there is any brand other than SATV using the OEM style spherical bearings in the front lowers. The UHMW with a sleeve just doesn't hold up on the Talon. @Hometeam has the S3 on one of his and I believe L&W on the other so he can probably give a fair comparison.

BlackCSVT

BlackCSVT

Jan 14, 2021
Vail, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
I have the L&W fronts and rear upper/lower high clearance radius rods on my R. I'd have gone CA for the rear radius rods if they had been available when I bought the L&W because they use an OEM style spherical bearing.

View attachment 359244

The bushings in the L&W fronts are garbage, but I don't think there is any brand other than SATV using the OEM style spherical bearings in the front lowers. The UHMW with a sleeve just doesn't hold up on the Talon. @Hometeam has the S3 on one of his and I believe L&W on the other so he can probably give a fair comparison.
For the lower rears, it looks like S3 is using a similar spherical bearing, but their site doesn’t really say. I like the look of S3 more than the others, but I’ll take function over looks.

Are the upper rears needed, or should I stick with stock uppers?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
For the lower rears, it looks like S3 is using a similar spherical bearing, but their site doesn’t really say. I like the look of S3 more than the others, but I’ll take function over looks.

Are the upper rears needed, or should I stick with stock uppers?
The uppers aren't mandatory. I just replaced 6 of the 8 bearings but two of them absolutely refused to budge, to the point the 8 ton jack started leaking fluid we were hanging on it so hard. Because of that, I'm putting the stockers back in on top, luckily those were the two we couldn't get out. It'll look goofy with those two skinny things on top tho. 😊

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL

View attachment 359244

Yes I have both on 2 different Talons. I agree that the bushings are not great any setup. I like the S3 lower a-arms better than the L+Ws. I think the fit and finish of the S3 is better and I believe the S3 are made out of Chromoly and the LW are not (but don't quote me on that). I think the S3 bushings are a better piece of junk than the LWs are, if that even counts! 🤷‍♂️ 🤓 I am getting ready to purchase some for our new Talon R we just got and I am going with CA tech for the radius rods (I think they are the best ones), and S3 for the lower a-arms.

BlackCSVT

BlackCSVT

Jan 14, 2021
Vail, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
I ended up ordering both front and rear lowers from S3 tonight. I liked the design better and they had a coupon for Halloween.

Thanks for all the help!

Reactions: Adam490 and CID
BlackCSVT

BlackCSVT

Jan 14, 2021
Vail, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
RaceCo USA
😁
I saw their A-arms and rods on their web site. I can certainly appreciate the craftsmanship, but the rears have no extra clearance, and the fronts (via the limited pictures) seem to have only slightly more clearance than stock. Then you factor the extra cost for RaceCo, and i just couldn't justify the purchase.

That being said, they do make a few exclusive race components that I'm not sure i need for my 1000X-4 LV. Assuming moderate open trail speed (25-40MPH) and slow technical in southern AZ desert/mountains, would I benefit from the:

Shock Tower Brace

A-Arm Pivot Brace

Trailing Arm Pivot Brace

I'm down to purchase if they significantly help the Talon operate/survive

Reactions: Hometeam
H

HondaTech

I saw their A-arms and rods on their web site. I can certainly appreciate the craftsmanship, but the rears have no extra clearance, and the fronts (via the limited pictures) seem to have only slightly more clearance than stock. Then you factor the extra cost for RaceCo, and i just couldn't justify the purchase.

That being said, they do make a few exclusive race components that I'm not sure i need for my 1000X-4 LV. Assuming moderate open trail speed (25-40MPH) and slow technical in southern AZ desert/mountains, would I benefit from the:

Shock Tower Brace

A-Arm Pivot Brace

Trailing Arm Pivot Brace

I'm down to purchase if they significantly help the Talon operate/survive

We have both arms on our XC race car snd never have any issues.

I'm not a high clearance arm guy, your just going to smash the next lowest thing instead.

Also forgot to mention, the trailing arm braces are a must. I wouldn't drove a Talon without them. The mount hole gets oblong fast and riding style doesn't really matter, it's going to happen.

20201103 164855
20201103 164909

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
We have both arms on our XC race car snd never have any issues.

I'm not a high clearance arm guy, your just going to smash the next lowest thing instead.
But the next lowest thing is my 1/2" skid. A rock will slide along my trailing arms but take out a lower radius rod.

Reactions: Prntckt

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!