Talon Many questions

C

cekkk

Jan 18, 2020
Nevada
Ownership

1. Talon X
But here are just two. My 1000x arrived yesterday. I drove it around the neighborhood and got 21 miles on it. This morning I headed out into the mountains with half a dozen other guys. There were two particular problems.

First of all, it did not want to go into reverse to get out of the garage and when it finally did I had a little difficulty getting it to go into drive and move forward. Just seem to rev and be in neutral. That happened once or twice again on the road but I'm assuming it was just a matter of breaking things in. Does that sound right?

Second, the accelerator is like a super light trigger on a handgun. Is there an adjustment. It makes me crazy because every time I hit a bump my foot makes it leap forward. I suppose I could get used to that over time, but trying to hold your foot, especially my big size 13. Isn't easy. So is it something that can be firmed up?

I'll be having some more and look forward to your help. Thanks already.

Reactions: Farmer
Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
But here are just two. My 1000x arrived yesterday. I drove it around the neighborhood and got 21 miles on it. This morning I headed out into the mountains with half a dozen other guys. There were two particular problems.

First of all, it did not want to go into reverse to get out of the garage and when it finally did I had a little difficulty getting it to go into drive and move forward. Just seem to rev and be in neutral. That happened once or twice again on the road but I'm assuming it was just a matter of breaking things in. Does that sound right?

I'm reading more and more instances of issues like this. Mine has 150 miles and was doing the same thing. I believe it now has internal damage and will need the sub trans torn down. Pretty damn pissed about it considering I haven't even had it a month.

I would take it back to the dealer immediately and have them adjust the shift cable. Even if you are capable of doing it yourself, having the dealer visit documented may pay off.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Check the sub trans oil. Make sure the shift cable is adjusted so its centered in the neutral gate. When its fully into a gear the shift lever will be centered in the shift gate. If its forward in the shift gate it may not be in gear and the display will have -----

Reactions: TripleB and Russ989
D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
Your super light trigger problem can be soled very easily.
See the heel support in the attached photo.
I used a piece of aluminum angle with two tabs welded on to it to mount it to the floor board and then added a small piece of wood block to that to make small adjustments in easily, to find the the best fit for my foot to the throttle.
Originally I just used a small block of wood screwed to the floor for a temporary fix.
This will cure the jumpy throttle problem. Most all other SXS's come with a built in floor recess to over come this prolem. Honda just seemed to over look this...Good luck...DRK

20191007 125335

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
For your throttle . Buy a ThrottleMax pedal . If they don't have Talon one buy one for a Pioneer 500 (that's what I have) one . It works great .

WasabiAZ

WasabiAZ

Nov 7, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I have owned my x4 for just a few months and I think I’m about 400 miles now and have done the first oil service. Nothing really changed much, so I’m not sure it is a break-in type thing. I don’t know if I have the same issue but I have found that the engine needs to warm up to really be useful for small movements. If it isn’t warmed up then forward or reverse (pulling it out of the garage) jerks quickly. Far too quickly for that type of space. Reverse is the same thing. This thing just wants to go. Launch really! Which is great off-road but not so much in “parking” situations. But having the engine warm helps.

The foot placement is a problem. I don’t think shoe size matters. I slide off the brake to the gas pedal with mostly toe pressure. But the jerky bounce of moving causes my foot to bounce, which causes more jerky acceleration (even when at cruising speed). So I often have to remember to move my heel closer in for more control. Then it’s all good.

So - I don’t know if this is what you are experiencing or not. But thought I’d float that the engine does take some getting used to. Hopefully it isn’t a clutch/link cable issue that some of the other posts have noted and more of a ‘getting used to it’ type thing.

C

cekkk

Jan 18, 2020
Nevada
Ownership

1. Talon X
It's good to know that this isn't an isolated problem. So more heads working on it. Really appreciate everyone's help.

C

cekkk

Jan 18, 2020
Nevada
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'll use Honda filters. But what oil brands are you all using?

I'm going to order a Throttlemax..

Last edited:
C

cekkk

Jan 18, 2020
Nevada
Ownership

1. Talon X
I wrote Throttlemax this morning and just received this reply. "The 500 pedal will not work for the Talon. We are currently working on that pedal and hope to release soon."

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I wrote Throttlemax this morning and just received this reply. "The 500 pedal will not work for the Talon. We are currently working on that pedal and hope to release soon."
Pretty sure I've seen a few people use a gate hinge in place of the throttle max (it looks almost the same as the throttle max in fact).

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
I’ve not had the shift engagement issue, but I struggle with the same touchy throttle issue as most others. I think it’s something you just have to get used to until someone comes up with a good fix. Until then, keeping your foot against the center console helps, as does moving your foot up on the accelerator so more of your foot is on the pedal. If you ride in dusty conditions your next problem to solve will be how to keep from filling your air filter with dirt every 100 miles! Welcome to Talon ownership!!

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
THEY ARE W R O N G ! I PULLED MY THROTTLEMAX OFF MY PIONEER 500 AND PUT IT ON MY TALON . IT WORKS PERFECTLY AND I HAVE 2 FRIENDS WITH TALONS WHO HAVE ORDERED AND INSTALLED THEM . Sorry bout the cap locks . I emailed ThrottleMax the day I switched mine (February) over to tell them THEY WORK PERFECT . They emailed me back and said WOW that's great to know . I don't understand them .

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I’ve not had the shift engagement issue, but I struggle with the same touchy throttle issue as most others. I think it’s something you just have to get used to until someone comes up with a good fix. Until then, keeping your foot against the center console helps, as does moving your foot up on the accelerator so more of your foot is on the pedal. If you ride in dusty conditions your next problem to solve will be how to keep from filling your air filter with dirt every 100 miles! Welcome to Talon ownership!!
oem filters are easy to get on line and I use mobil1 synthetic 4 stroke oil . My friends buy it at local Walmart . I order it buy the case from Walmart.com . Cost a little less and it's sent to my door .

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X

oem filters are easy to get on line and I use mobil1 synthetic 4 stroke oil . My friends buy it at local Walmart . I order it buy the case from Walmart.com . Cost a little less and it's sent to my door .

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
THEY ARE W R O N G ! I PULLED MY THROTTLEMAX OFF MY PIONEER 500 AND PUT IT ON MY TALON . IT WORKS PERFECTLY AND I HAVE 2 FRIENDS WITH TALONS WHO HAVE ORDERED AND INSTALLED THEM . Sorry bout the cap locks . I emailed ThrottleMax the day I switched mine (February) over to tell them THEY WORK PERFECT . They emailed me back and said WOW that's great to know . I don't understand them .

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
This is what I was referring to. Just happened to see it on FB:

FB IMG 1580262533630

W

WideOpen201

Nov 20, 2019
Dequincy, LA
Ownership

1. Talon X

HifloFiltro oil Filters and Maxima Racing ATV oil, MA2 spec for wet clutches. OEM air filters only. I own an Powersports Store and that's what I run in all my machines.

Reactions: CID
C

cekkk

Jan 18, 2020
Nevada
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'll order the pioneer Tmax. Can anyone tell me what size Torx bit is needed for the bolts at rear of storage bed? I need to remove them in order to install my tailgate. My Torx are all too small and I'm wondering if this is a t-40 or what. Thanks. This is about best form of everj belong to for getting straight answers.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!