GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
In reference to the booze issue, unless I’m really missing some type of unknown 4th amendment issue, if the cooler is closed, and there is no sign of booze visible, the only way to look inside it would be a search warrant. Just sayn’

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
In reference to the booze issue, unless I’m really missing some type of unknown 4th amendment issue, if the cooler is closed, and there is no sign of booze visible, the only way to look inside it would be a search warrant. Just sayn’

GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
And that being said, if there’s no sign of booze visible I’m not sure where the PC would come from in order to obtain the aforementioned search warrant. Maybe if the driver or passenger (s) had the odor.

Not condoning breaking the law, but if being sensible I don’t think there would be problems.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
And that being said, if there’s no sign of booze visible I’m not sure where the PC would come from in order to obtain the aforementioned search warrant. Maybe if the driver or passenger (s) had the odor.

Not condoning breaking the law, but if being sensible I don’t think there would be problems.
Or just do like back in HS and fill up water bottles with vodka..........wait, what???

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks for the info Govt Mule

advertisement
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So.... If one were to stop at at popular hang out spot and pick up garbage, would that be PC for a warrant? Or would one be better having a dark garbage bag to hide the contents of trash picked up trail side?

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
While 4th amendment protections generally do protect us against unlawful searches per se, there are exceptions to the search warrant requirement.

I'm not familiar with the specific laws, rules or ordinances in that area or TN, so be sure to check for any type of implied or informed consent laws or rules, posted or otherwise (e.g., vehicles or containers on these trails/property are subject to search).

Also, the same exceptions to a search warrant for an automobile or vessel would apply to a SXS (e.g., consent, exigent circumstances, hot pursuit, plain view/feel, incident to arrest, etc.).

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
So.... If one were to stop at at popular hang out spot and pick up garbage, would that be PC for a warrant? Or would one be better having a dark garbage bag to hide the contents of trash picked up trail side?
Plain view doctrine applies. The officer has no idea if you've been cleaning up or pounding beers. If there are additional clues (signs) that you may have been drinking, those combined with the "garbage" in your vehicle could amount to what the officer believes is reasonable suspicion, which could/would justify additional investigation.

And to proactively answer the next question that I often get in these situations: Yes, I used to be (until my accident). 😉

GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It would be articulable but, I personally think it would be a stretch in the absence of odor on one’s breath, although technically empty cans in a buggy with a cooler present certainly would be reasonable doubt. Maybe store the “picked up” cans in a pack out or even in the cooler.

GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Also, that would be the exception if it is implied that vehicles on the property are subject to search. You are basically agreeing to allow a search of your property in exchange for being there. (Not sure if this applies at RRB or not)

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It would be articulable but, I personally think it would be a stretch in the absence of odor on one’s breath, although technically empty cans in a buggy with a cooler present certainly would be reasonable doubt. Maybe store the “picked up” cans in a pack out or even in the cooler.
I personally do not drink. So I am not terribly concerned. But my wife does like the occasional trail soda while out riding.
I am going to guess it is like every other encounter you have with a Police officer. How you treat them greatly reflects how they treat you. I am sure a garbage bag full of dirty and smashed cans could be identified as being on the trail some time and myself just doing some house keeping when we stop.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I am sure a garbage bag full of dirty and smashed cans could be identified as being on the trail some time and myself just doing some house keeping when we stop.
Make sure they don't ALL match exactly what's in the cooler, too! 😃

Most cans have lot numbers printed on them, so it's easy to tell if the ones in your cooler came from the same package as the empty ones.

GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I personally do not drink. So I am not terribly concerned. But my wife does like the occasional trail soda while out riding.
I am going to guess it is like every other encounter you have with a Police officer. How you treat them greatly reflects how they treat you. I am sure a garbage bag full of dirty and smashed cans could be identified as being on the trail some time and myself just doing some house keeping when we stop.
The yeti or Brumate or other sealable cup/bottles can be pretty handy too. Just fyi.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Game Wardens have "special powers" that regular police do not have. Now one could always argue in court if fined but..

FB IMG 1687888155197

Part of the agreement when purchasing a TN Hunt Fish combo license is to comply with all requests from Game Wardens while on State property/ jurisdiction. Hence buying the license is optional as is agreement to those terms. Probable cause and 4th Amendment was shoved up your bung hole when you checked the box to comply upon purchasing permit.

👌

advertisement